(Note: this is not a buld thread YET. It's a question and research thread. If I can find out what I need to know, I will create a new thread for the build.)

Right, here's the deal.

I've got the body of an old and battered BC-Rick Warlock.
Just the body, and the internal wiring.
What I want to do is completely re-design the coulrs and surface, and put in new pickups.
I'll also need a kneck.

And, hopefully, your advice.

This is the plan:

1. A 'Rusty' paint job on the body. Any ideas how I might go about making the body look like very rusted metal? Kind of THIS effect. Paints? Finishes? Any sugestions.

2. Replace the stock pickups with Bare Knuckle Pickups - Nailbomb and a Warpig at the bridge and kneck respectively. I can do this, no help needed.

3. Cover the front of the guitar (over the top of the rust finish) with chicken wire, of about THIS size and shape (Though obviously I have a huge roll of the stuff, not just a little square). Best method for holding it down onto the guitar anyone?

4. What sort of kneck should I go for? Should I do the rust effect on the headstock?

5. Any tricks for making the knobs, frets and other hardwear (bridge, machien heads ect) appear rusty? Should I do that to the frets aswell?

All and any answers appreciated.
Thankyou.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
Last edited by Jakkle at Jul 1, 2006,
hmm intresting, you could glue sheet metal onto the top and rust it, you could buy steel chrome knobs, and rust throughs easly. to hold the chicken wire down you could weld it to the top if you do the metal top, or you could bolt on a metal top, and wrap the chicken wire around the metal top and tuck it underneeth the top, so the bolts hold the top down which would then hold the wire down, thses are all just thaughts of course
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I like that idea.

I'd still prefer to do a rust-paintjob on it, but hey, sounds good.

Kind of, make a front plate, wrapping the chicken wire around like tin foil on food.
Tin foil...
I'm gonna have to experiment!
Feel free to keep posting!

"I had a hat once.
If you go to a hardware store, some places have specialty paints like chalkboard spraypaint. There might be a fake rust spraypaint. I wouldnt recommend having real rust on a guitar. Its sort of dangerous. You could be strumming and cut yourself, palm mute, and cut your self, do a slide and cut yourself, etc.
if you need to rust something, you can preform electrolyisis (?) in water using a 9-volt battery and that will speed up the process
well...i dont know how to get the texture...maybe tin foil as mentioned above but for the color just buy red oxide primer...bout the closest to a rust color you are gonna find
Thanks guys, i'll have a think about it and keep looking.

Any ideas of kecks I could use?

And I've been informed that sand, and varieties of browns/red paints makes convincing rust.

All help appreciated.

"I had a hat once.
Yeah.

Damn spelling.

Neck, right.

"I had a hat once.
for rusting the bridge and knobs and tuners is to sand blast them and then spray a little water on them its the easiest way to rust something cause it opens up pores in the metal and will let it oxidize faster. as for the rest i have no clue.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.