Some reviews on peaveys valveking and classic 30 mention that after replacing valves/speaker the amp got much better.
So what would be better a modded Valveking or a Classic 30(perhaps to be modded later)?
For both heavy and clean sounds. Hard rock and blues.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

I think the Classic 30 would be better. It can do blues and clean nice, but I dont know about heavy. Maybe get an OD pedal for that. The Valvekingwould be better for heavier stuff, but I think the Classic 30 would be nicer for clean, and some bluesy overdrive. With an OD pedal though, it may be able to get heavier.
ok as to what would be better i cant honestly say cuz ive never played a modded valveking but the stock c30 is fine at first. it has wonderful cleans but it doesnt really push into overdrive at lower volumes but when you add an od pedal which i suggest anyway its great.
Quote by Epiphany
ok as to what would be better i cant honestly say cuz ive never played a modded valveking but the stock c30 is fine at first. it has wonderful cleans but it doesnt really push into overdrive at lower volumes but when you add an od pedal which i suggest anyway its great.

I agree to that 100%. The Classic 30 is great at first. It does have channel volume control though so you can turn the overdrive on without cranking it. but an overdrive pedal does help give more overdrive.
yeah man i got the classic 50 and its got a real good clean and awesome blues sound. blues is all i play and i love the amp. i played on the valve king and it dont sound like a real tube amp to me
Valve Kings do more modern tones better than Classic 30's, but with an overdrive boost, you should be into hard rock/metal territory with either one.

I would say a Classic 30 for you if price isn't a factor. If it is, turn to eBay. A classic 30 on eBay will go for about the same price as a new Valve King.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Thanks for the replies but remember i'm not trying to compare a classic 30 to a standard valveking, imagine a modded valveking. I believe those two would cost almost the same price. The valveking being slightly higher.Correct me on this though.

EDIT: by the way, do you know where i can find soundclips for the classic?Valveking would be nice too.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Last edited by Calvero at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by Calvero
Thanks for the replies but remember i'm not trying to compare a classic 30 to a standard valveking, imagine a modded valveking. I believe those two would cost almost the same price. The valveking being slightly higher.Correct me on this though.

EDIT: by the way, do you know where i can find soundclips for the classic?Valveking would be nice too.

Ask That_Pink_Queen. He has the Classic 30 and he might have some soundclips. He really loves the amp.