4 crotchets in a bar

crotchet are quarter notes, therefore 1/4

as there are 4, it becomes 4/4

1/2/3/4//1/2/3/4//1/2/3/4/ and so on

6/8, for example, means 6 quavers in a bar:

1/2/3/4/5/6//1/2/3/4/5/6//

a quaver is half a crotchet, therefore 1/8, and as there are 6, 6/8

and so on and so forth
"Time Signatures are used to notate the number of beats (pulses) in each measure in the song. It is written in the form of a fraction, and is usually preceeded by a Key Signature. The upper figure of the time signature indicates the number of beats in a measure. The lower figure represents the value of each beat. For example, a time signature of 7/4 means that there are 7 beats in each measure, and that each beat receives a 1/4 note amount of time."

Or, in your case, 4/4 means that there are 4 beats in each measure, and that each beat receives 1/4 note amount of time.

That help any?
Spiral Out
you will rarly see a 1/4 measure, the top number means number of notes in each measure, the bottom notes mean what kind 4/4=four quater notes, 6/8 means six eighth notes, the lower the number the slower the tempo of the song, the higher the number is going to be the faster (1/2 is slower than 4/4 but 6/8 is faster than 4/4).
yea u go like 1 2 3 4 2 2 3 4 3 2 3 4 4 2 3 4 and so on it counts the measures it helps me remember timing in songs i play bcuz i just listen to the song and count how many beats between each part
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by ibanezbass27
yea u go like 1 2 3 4 2 2 3 4 3 2 3 4 4 2 3 4 and so on it counts the measures it helps me remember timing in songs i play bcuz i just listen to the song and count how many beats between each part

it should be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

+= and

4/4 you dont play a note on the + but in 6/8 you do
How do you know how much time it should take for each measure? If its 4/4? Or how long you are suppose to wait between each stroke?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
and it would then be 1+2+3+1+2+3+1+2+3...

providing you play the +

yes, that would be 6/8
one 4 is how many beats are in a single measure.
another is how many notes are in that measure, so a quarter note would get one beat.
And for counting it out and knowing when to play, it's just like counting to ten. just go at a steady, even pace.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean