I've played metal for the longest time and I still need some help with this technique. I dont know how to play those fast percussive repetitions. They are usually palm-muted and look like this

----------------------------
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
----------------------------

I find that I need to do this in nearly every good metal song... if you need examples, check out the Metallica "one" and "master of puppets" tabs.

1) how should I hold the pick?
2) should/can I need to use a thin pick? Would it help?
3) do I need to use alternate picking?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure someone else has struggled with this and can help.
Quote by Virtus2600

1) However you usually hold it...actually, I think I hold it so that only a little sticks out.
2) Thin picks, contrarily, would make it harder.
3) For One you probably do; for Master of Puppets, you're not supposed to.
1)...i dunno...flat is probably best
2)you could, but my guess it would be a hella lot easier to use a thicker pick (.73 i find is heavy enough)...cause it wont bend as much and will give you an easier time.
3)alternate picking would make it alot ****ing easier.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

1) hold the pick with only a little bit of material hanging out and it might be eaiser to pick it at a litle bit of an angle. If your pick is flat agianst the strings it can slow you down
2) .73 pick is what I use
3) alt picking makes it faster but alot of songs use only downpicks to get a heavier sound
Dave Mustaine is God

UP THE IRONS!!!!!
Thanks all.

2)I have 'medium' picks (dont know measurement), should they do fine? is .73 'heavy'? When I buy picks they don't have measurements on them.

3) I am horrible at alternate picking. Can anyone give any advice or links to articles? I go back and forth, but the pick kind of sticks to the string, and I can't produce a steady rythm. How far down should the pick be to strike the string? Should the tip of the pick just tap the top of the string, or strike near the center/middle/halfway down?

Quote by Vindication
3) For One you probably do; for Master of Puppets, you're not supposed to.

I've heard that MoP is supposed to be all down-strokes, is this what you are saying? If so, I need help with that too. This is the main riff with the "0-0-0-0" that I can't seem to nail down:

Master of Puppets tab
*6*Play Six Times*6*
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------5/7--8\7--5/7------------------5/7--5/7------------|
|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3/5--6\5--3/5--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3/5--3/5------------|
medium is good. For Master of puppets, downstrokes, for everything else, I like to sort of slice the sting with my pick, I can get up to 14 bps that way.
Dickless.
I hold my pick a little bit to the side to get through the strings faster. It shouldn't be tilted too much or else you get a string scrape.

Thicker picks help. But it varies from person. I hold my picks with my index and thumb. James uses his thumb, index and middle.

Yes use alternate picking. You'll need it if you play faster riffs. If you jackoff a bunch, you'll probly be used to this movement. I switch between the two. Some riffs I need down and some I need up and down picks.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
All in the wrist, just keep practisining it slowly so you're inclinations will know what they're supposed to do, and then you'll be able to do it as fast as the rest.
Quote by Virtus2600

1. Hold it what's most comfortable to you. I suggest you buy some Dunlop Jazz Tortex HEAVY picks. They're the purple ones. I use them, and they're a god send for picking fast and pulling off pinch harmonics easily.

2. The heavier the better for Metal.

3. Learn it, use it, master it. You'll be able to play faster and when you play with it long enough, alternate picking will come naturally to you, because an upstroke IS natural.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I use thin ish, but not at all flexible picks, with the edges as close to a 90 degree angle as I can get them, I file all my picks once a week to keep them that way.
They're the green dunlop tortex ones I think. Just thick enough for me to comfortably play, and stiff enough to make tremolo picking and sweeping slightly easier.

Palm mute and alternate pick for most of the things you mentioned, I hear everyone talking about how awesome it is that they down pick only MoP. But personally, tendonitis doesnt sound appealing, and I can do it cleaner alternate. So I personally recommend making it easier, and more effecient and alt picking.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
for fast parts, not really just like what your talking about, but fast chromatic runs, i push my hand up and down instead of twisting with my wrist
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
in that Maqster of puppets rif theres alternate pickibng. Use your picking hand to dampen the strings a little bit with your palm. Just so that the strings dont ring but they still come out clear.

Alternate picking is better it gives more control and sounds cleaner. Id use alternate for open strings but downpicking for the power chords.
OK for doing alternate picking i dont really twist my wrist it is more of a nervous twitch kinda vibration that i do. sorry if thats weird lol

To make sure everyone knows the master of puppets intro is ALL DOWNPICKING. Thats just James Style he likes to do down picking whenever possible it sounds better heavier and chunkier. Its is supposed to be downpicked. I downpick it. Its not that hard. In Fact its kinda just second nature now i can downpick faster than that you just gotta practice.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Jerkoffkid
Yes use alternate picking. You'll need it if you play faster riffs. If you jackoff a bunch, you'll probly be used to this movement. I switch between the two. Some riffs I need down and some I need up and down picks.

Best advice here.
Sweet, I think i've got it. I hadnt played guitar for months, I just practiced for atleast two hours. I even started to play 'Fight fire with fire' (metallica) decent (which is crazy fast - 184bpm).

1) I'd like to know if im playing fightfirewithfire decently. Can I post a recording? And in what forum section (sorry im a noob, check my post count)
2) After 2 hours of practice, my picking hand is really numb. I should stop now right? Is this a stupid question?
For that "chug" sound, it's best to downpick, but it can wear your hand out pretty fast. I use thin picks, and hold it up pretty high so a lot of the tip is exposed. When I alternate pick, the pick bends easily over the string so I can do it pretty well. And if your hand is numb after 2 hours, you may want to give it a break. You're not in a competition to see who can play this or that first, so take your time.
I really think experimenting is best with all the different picks possible.. If you are feeling pain in your hands you should probably stop playing..
damit, im starting to get blisters on my fretting fingers. Its what I get for not playing for months. Ok, I promise I'll stop playing now.
Quote by buttloaves
And if your hand is numb after 2 hours, you may want to give it a break. You're not in a competition to see who can play this or that first, so take your time.

I'm going back to a summer camp Tuesday, and I'm going to jam with some guys. There is also a talent show at the end. So I really want to improve