YES! YESSSSSSSSSS! I've finally mashed open my thumb and started bleeding at the end of my fingers from all the hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides. Bootsy, this is for you!

and now, back to the scheduled program.

I've just realised something too...
Ow.
Vice president of the I Watched Eon8 End Club!
And what a big f****** let down that was.

You don't play your scales "out of the box", you just play them in a really big box.
er? whats the point of this thread.

Congratulations?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
I've cut my fingers many time playing... its not a big deal...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by SamboSkull
Bootsy, this is for you!

But Bootsy didn't slap =/.

You may want to rethink the dedication.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
True true. A single question on slap would have given it some veritability.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
If you bleed when you play, you are not playing correctly. It's not a badge of honour, it's bad technique. I wouldn't be celebrating.
..congratulations?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
an award goes out to this bass playing genious
who are you to wave your finger......
Quote by Applehead
If you bleed when you play, you are not playing correctly. It's not a badge of honour, it's bad technique. I wouldn't be celebrating.

yea, ive never drawn blood playing. all you've really accomplished is not being able to play your bass until you stop bleeding.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^No, it depends on how hard you play. In fact, the only place I have ever bled is above the fingernail. Sometimes I slap, and that skin behind my fingernail gets caught on the string. I have never started bleeding where I play fingerstyle. The only other way you can start bleeding, is if you pop a blister, and are continuously playing on it. As long as you have a callouse, you shouldn't get blisters.
Sensitive fingers should be a plus in bass playing. They let you feel how hard you are playing, and allow you to make adjustments as you see fit.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
You bleed when you slap?

Damn, you must go through strings really quickly with that type of attack. I hope you afford to change your strings regularly.
I am just starting bass and i also play guitar, while on the subject could someone give me a few tips on slapping as i'm not too sure how to do it properly.

Cheers!
Quote by bettyswollox
I am just starting bass and i also play guitar, while on the subject could someone give me a few tips on slapping as i'm not too sure how to do it properly.

Cheers!

try not to slap so hard you bleed is a start:P but it's better if you get someone to show you how to slap, cos when you see it, you'll process the action and technique better than through words... well, that's how I first started to learn... but eventually, you'll swing back into a technique that is comfortable for you. I prefer to keep my hand parallel to the strings, but others will favour being perpendicular, or at an angle.
Bootsy did not slap and you shouldn't be proud that you beat your hand so unnecessarily hard that you bled. And I'm not going to warn you because you're never going to see this message because you don't visit the bass forum, but please treat the forum with a little more respect than a thread that's just

"look at me

ow"
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!