well ive decided for my mex strats birthday to give it a pickup upgrade...im looking for a full new set and a want something that will give a good vintage strat type tone...i really like frusciante's type of tone with his strat...so any pickup recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
i put some texes specials on my ibanez and it sounds good, of course there were holes from the missing humbuckers
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
Well, for a Fru tone I'd recommend Fender Vintage '57/62's, apparently very nice, I've heard a few soundclips, and I might get these sometime in the future, veryclassic Strat sounding.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
anyone else? and if anyone has soundclips that would be good too
budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya, id go with what RHCP said, cause he uses old strats from that time period and i doubt he's replaced the pickups in them
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Lindy Fralin Real 54's
from this site. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Real-54-Set-P212C31.aspx
and heres a link that you can listen to mp3's to compare the pups
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat-Pickup-MP3-Clips-W1C28.aspx
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Check out the vintage hots.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
EMG open coil actives is what i recomend you look into
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
EMG's for JF sound?!?? Can I get some of some of what you're smoking Emergancy? Because appartently it is way better than what I have.

I would recommend a vintage style p'up also. Texas Specials would be to hot IMO, you could roll back on the volume a bit but I would still go for a lower output, vintagey style.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at Jul 3, 2006,
No EMG's. They probably won't get close to Fru's tone, even if they are lower output than usual.

Look at some Classic Fender pickups too, and also Bareknuckle's Mother's Milk (general vintage Strat "vibe")
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30