well you could use it but the better question would be would it wound good which would be problably not, think about it vinyl is soft so it wont sustain a string vibration well. your better off trying a vinyl texture in paint, you could make a vinyl cutout that matched the top of your guitar then paint it how you want and take and use the cutout like a stamp to put the vinyl texture into the paint, but dont use the stamp with the paint too wet or else it could just smear off and you have to be very carefull not to let the vinyl "stamp" move on the wet paint. hope this helps
~jacob
You can take adhesive vinyl and cut out an image, then it's like a sticker. It shouldn't be too expensive either, I happen to know that a roll 15 inches wide and 30 feet long is only about $20. The machine to cut out an image costs a few thousand though. Also, this won't have a vinyl/tolex feel to it, it's like, untextured? I do not know about getting textured vinyl. Anyways, if you had a white guitar and you wanted a cool black logo on it o rsomething, you could use a vinyl sticker on it instead of painting it. It should be good to go for a long long time.
yeah, the vinyl is untextured, and my parents have one of those vinyl cutter plotters so.... it won't **** up the sound?
it would mess up the sound, problably alot, it would adsorb the sound vibrations of the guitar ie it wont sustain very long.
you are blessed. I have one at work that I can use though

would it mess up the sound? Heck no! Look, I have a guitar made out of freaking plywood. sounds great. If you covered every inch of the body, it might impact it, but even a large full front sticker shouldn't make the hugest impact on the sound at all. I don't think it will affect it much.
?

The word inlay implies that it will be flush with the surface, made possible by depressing the material underneath itself. If you want your adhesive vinyl to be an "inlay," then you'll have to create a "dent" in the guitar the exact size of your image, only a few millimeters deep. That could be difficult.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are thinking though....Here's a pic of something Im' hoping to do with adhesive vinyl like, today (just need to cut out the vinyl)

Something like that is small and simple and shouldn't inpact the tone at all.
it has beendone before on a 60's gutar made by a company called Hagstrom. their rather sought after among colectors now so i see no reason why you can't put vynil on a guitar.
there's a pic of one if your interested
So the outside of that guitar is vinyl? They probably used something a tad different then what I'm using, But yeah. I wouldn't want to refinish an entire guitar in adhesive vinyl. It'd be wicked sweet for doing a cool graphic around the edge of the entire guitar....not like edge of....well if it were a burger, a design no on the bun, on the edge of the meat. You'd see if if you had an eye instead of a uvula....

Or, you could even refinish an entire pickguard in it. Cool designs on knobs, headstock, etc.
it was only the front that was covered in vynil the back was a big plastic cover that was screwed on. a common problem with vintage hagstroms these days is the vynil shrinking and pulling away from under the cover on the back. i would find you a pic but it's about 1:30 am and i'm about to go to bed
Quote by JahJahwarrior
?

The word inlay implies that it will be flush with the surface, made possible by depressing the material underneath itself. If you want your adhesive vinyl to be an "inlay," then you'll have to create a "dent" in the guitar the exact size of your image, only a few millimeters deep. That could be difficult.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are thinking though....Here's a pic of something Im' hoping to do with adhesive vinyl like, today (just need to cut out the vinyl)

Something like that is small and simple and shouldn't inpact the tone at all.

The stripes? Or the immage? I wanna do stripes, but idk how.
sorry, the image.

Stripes would be difficult to do with vinyl. Not impossible, just more likely to peel off after a few years than an image, I'd think. for one thing, they'd all end near the edge and for example just playing would rub on it....if you want stripes, you should paint it.

I didn't paint this guitar, I bought it for $40 : ) The body seems to be plywood....it could be plies of some nice wood but it looks like pine plywood.
I mean, can I stick a little piece of vinyl under the strings instead of using inlays? (it works on acoustics...)
when you do a string bend, you'll hit on the edge of the vinyl. I know it's pretty thin stuff, but you'll still have that problem.
Problem with Hägstroms (sp?) is that the vynil will fall off with age. I saw one in my music shop.
I'm back. No-one knew I left anyway. Do you even know who I am?
wrong place to ask about changing paint or doing something different. everyone seems to be asgainst it. it will always screw up tone or mess up your guitar somehow. imo, dont ask just do it. if its worth asking a bunch of people to make up your mind then its not worth doing.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by JahJahwarrior
when you do a string bend, you'll hit on the edge of the vinyl. I know it's pretty thin stuff, but you'll still have that problem.

Lies

It works amazingly fine!
What adhesive vinyl is that? And how often do you do string bends on an acoustic guitar? If you aren't going crazy with the solos, it should work, and even if you do, if you don't push down too hard, just hard enough to get good fret contact, it might work. I would think that you might have problems if you do alot of stringbends though. I could be very wrong, I've never tried it, becuase I assumed I'd have problems with it.
k to answer the 1st question.

Why not just put the vinyl on and a layer or 2 of clear coat? It will feel hard to the touch and it will never peel off. S'what I'm thinking about doing to my guitar.