My jim dunlop strap lock and goin ing in anymore they seem to have made the hole bigger or somthing anyadive or people who this has happend to how can i fix?
Jesus had long hair, and he was all like For those about to rock, I salute you.

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

Member # 24 of Metallica Mensa

President of the Daron Malakian is God Club
pm me to join
Quote by nirvana_freak01
My jim dunlop strap lock and goin ing in anymore they seem to have made the hole bigger or somthing anyadive or people who this has happend to how can i fix?

I dont think I understand the question,... please take the time and type it properly.

Are you saying the hole for the straplock cant hold the screw anymore?

If so, shove a ton of toothpicks in there with some wood glue. Let it dry and put the screw back in.
sryy ill try explin better the screw wont keep the strap lock on anymore its way way to losse and i dont wanna just put tooth picks in cos i dont wanna make it look messy

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
any ideas on how to clog the hole up so i can dril a new one??

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
geez, toothpicks wont make it look messy at all, it is inside the hole after all, so you can't see it.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
take it out, fill the hole with some form of filler, drill new hole, you're done
thats probably the least messy way but unless you paint over the filler there'll be a blotch of different colour
Take toothpicks, leave them full length, take epoxy, like the two part mixing stuff, mix it together. Use one toothpick to fill the hole in your guitar with epoxy partway, coat it all with epoxy basically. Get a little bit of epoxy on the end of one toothpick, stick it in the hole. Repeat. Jam as many as you can into the hole until it is filled with toothpicks and epoxy. Leave overnight. next day, very carefully snip off/cut off the toothpicks that are sticking out, sand it close down to your body: put some masking tape around the hole! that will help prevent scratches. Drill a new hole in the same exact spot, put in screw. It'll last forever.
How much will filter cost????? i an aussie so in AUD plz just a clue pl zor i might go down and get some in a like 5 minutes

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
I would try a wooden dowel before epoxy and filler. Get one that matches the hole, cut it to length, and shove it in with some elmer's glue then wipe off any excess. If your guitar's a solid color, you could probably repaint it similar and find a new location for your strap lock. If not, just put the dowel in, then make a pilot hole with a drill bit for the screw. Should work.
i dont think i can get dowel but ill try my guitars black so easy enough to get a colour to match if iput filterin the hole leave fr a day or whateva can i redrill the hole sam place or is that not a good idea?

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
is it the treading in the whole ripped out and thats why the hole is bigger? or did it rip a chuck out of your guitar?? if the treading is just gone, use toothpicks, and wood glue, you dont need to repaint anything! once the screw is in and the strap button (or strap lock) is secured to the guitar, there will be no mess at all, and no paint matching!
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
yea just treading so i migt use tooth picks or get some kind of filter anyway sugestions people?? on brand?

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
I had the same problems, all I did was take out the screw, dab some Gorrilla Glue on the end, stuck it in, applied some pressure and waited for the Gorrilla Glue to do its business.

Gorrilla Glue and the Gorrilla logo are registered trademarks of Gorrilla Industries and are not affilliated in any way with this company. Gorrilla Glue rawkz.
any suggestions on brand or things to look for in wood filler?

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Last edited by nirvana_freak01 at Jul 2, 2006,
Haha. Same thing happend to me, and Schecter sent me a new guitar. But I didn't change the strap buttons. The toothpick thing works. Cover as many as you need in super glue, put them in the hole, let them dry, break off part sticking out, then just screw the strap button back in.
Quote by mikeman
Haha. Same thing happend to me, and Schecter sent me a new guitar. But I didn't change the strap buttons. The toothpick thing works. Cover as many as you need in super glue, put them in the hole, let them dry, break off part sticking out, then just screw the strap button back in.

D-Dude... Did you have to send ur old guitar back? Even so, wow.
wood filler liek stuff to put in the hole to make it liek wood again? anyway i might contack squire lol worth a try ill probly do the tooth pick thing or teh dowel thing aye

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Quote by absinthe5765

D-Dude... Did you have to send ur old guitar back? Even so, wow.

Yeah, unfortunately. Schecter values their customers.
ok fello wUGers i got soem PLASTI-BOND stuff to do the job you think that will work it say heavy duty

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
hmm i suppose sawdust and epoxy might work, but i wouldn't try it, i filled the hole with cement grout when this happened on my bass, then i hammer drilled a new hole in, works great, just becarfull with the hammer drill, because if you are not you will break the horn off your guitar
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
the holes on the end not the horn and will plasti-bond work????

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
but the box say to fill holes on wood? here it is click here

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Last edited by nirvana_freak01 at Jul 3, 2006,
Plastibond will work just fine. If I were you, I'd fill some of the hole with actual wood, ie, toothpicks, but you don't have you.

You CAN just jam a toothpick in and screw the screw back in. That will work, but can decently easily pull out again, depending on lots of small things. My guitarist did this to his guitar twice before I fixed it.

You CAN also just drill a new hole. That works, but leaves another old hole and definite evidence of the fix.

You CAN also use any glue, such as Elmers wood glue, Plastibond, or epoxy to fill the hole. As a variation, use wood in there also (some make a paste with plastibond/epoxy and sawdust, I don't see the point of that work, just use toothpicks) I have fixed three buttons (two guitars) this way and none of them have broken. That guitarist who just put a toothpick in twice gave it to me to fix, next day I handed him a fix that will outlast his guitar.

Just fill the hole with plastibond. Wait overnight. Redrill smaller hole in the same spot, maybe at a slightly different angle if you want, that might make it a bit stronger than straight drilling, and put the screw in the same spot as the old one.

That other guy suggested cement grout. WTF? I mean sure it probably worked....but epoxy is MEANT for this. cement grout is meant for, well, cement. And you don't need to use a hammer drill. That is for masonry work. If you were working with cement.....sounds like the other guy does work with cement and had his broken guitar at a job site. A hammer drill won't really help you much with this, a normal drill will work. Heck, you could use a hand drill if you wanted. About the most you would use mgiht be a drill press, but a hand drill will work just fine.
Last edited by JahJahwarrior at Jul 3, 2006,
ok ijust finished putting the plasti-bond i its liek rock hard now but just to be saf eim goin to leave overnight and drill under the old hole then put my straplocks back in and play song 2 by blur and jump around thanks for your advice JahJahwarrior urv'e been a reall help same to all other people

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
problem with wood filler is its not as hard as wood itself not even if you let it dry for a long ass time. it might be a problem with not holding the threads from the screw
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
thats why im drill under it

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
i use a hammer drill because if i used a normal drill on the cement it would clog up the bits, and i have never once broken a guitar, i build guitars, and yes i have built a guitar out of cement and i have built a les paul out of bricks, why? because i can and i know dumbasses i can sell them 2, do they sound good? no because they are made out of cement!

but at any rate sawdust and epoxy works the best, i used cement grout because i had it laying around, and i just like to cover crap in cement, like my neighbor's car
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Nirvana freak....STOP TYPING LIKE YOU'RE RETARDED! YOU TYPE LIKE YOU'RE AN 11 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO CAN'T WAIT TO GROW TITS.

Wood filler isn't gonna be strong enough I don't think, really dude, toothpics.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I had the exact same problem where the thread where the original screws went was ruined. I was advised by a friend to fill the hole and redrill it, but (being lazy as I am) I just got a longer screw which made itself a new thread further down beyond the original and now ruined thread.
That's probably the easiest way but I may have just been lucky with my screws.