I want to put new inlays in my guitar so i need to take off my fretboard. Can anyone explain how to take it off and how to put it back on?

Thanks
Is it maple or a rosewood cap??
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
Most maple necks don't have a removable fretboard. The frets are fitted on the neck. I think you should take your guitar to a professional and have it removed. You could do some damage if you aren't totally sure how to do it.

As yourself this; Is it worth some new inlays to risk ruining your guitar's neck?

Sometimes cosmetic upgrades just aren't worth the risk.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Another question, is the neck itself removable??

^If it is it's slightly less risky, as a new neck isn't as much as the entire guitar...

But still, a new neck if you mess this one up is going to run you ~$50 or so.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Taking the neck off is much, much easier than removing the fretboard. I would just remove the neck.

Adding inlays to an already completed fretboard probably isn't as simple as you think it is...you're probably better off getting a new fretboard entirely. I suggest saving for a better guitar before spending money to get new inlays done.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
invisible_man is right. Adding inlays to a completed fretboard would be difficult.

^ I did already take the neck off. but i still want to take the fretbard off so i can put new inlays on.
You're going to have to get a new fretboard unless your just trying to change dots or something, or put bigger inlays over dots.
Ive done this with a squier. Its a huge hassle, and in my case, I almost spent as much on the inlays as I did the guitar itself. But its a badass looking squier neck now. : P.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
So you're going to remove the old inlays, route out the space for new inlays, get mother of pearl, plastic or abalone to fill the new inlays, shape the inlays, glue them in, and sand everything clean. Have fun, or are you having this done professionaly? You can't replace inlays just like that. Also, this should go in GB&C.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
My mistake, Brendan. I think you are better off buying a new neck or just buying a new guitar.

To remove the neck you need a clothes iron set on steam, i thin flexible pallet knife and a old t-shirt.

Start at the heel end, put the shirt over the neck like it was wearing it, e.g material/neck/material. Place the iron on the tshirt, give the steam time to do it's job, but never leave it unattended.
Now put the knife in the glue join, DON'T force it. If it won't go in it needs more heat. Once your in slowy work the knife from side to side, if you encounter any resistance don't force it, stop and add more steam.

If you didn't understand that. www.projectguitar.com has a tutorial on removing fretboards.

If your new inlays are bigger than your current ones you don't need to remove the fretboard. Just remove the frets and go from there. New inlays on a old neck is a difficult job and isn't a good thing to do if you've never worked on a guitar before.
yeh, then he would need to put new frets in which = more tools needed. so really i think the ts hasnt though this through thoroughly