should i learn how to alternate pick? Is it necessary? Is it better than regular picking? What are the benefits?
you can play twice as fast...
once you start, you do everything alternate picking..its a big relief from continuous downstokes.
it is an essential in the guitar world.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Short and simple.

If you ever want to be good. Yes.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
so if i want to be a good solo guitarist i better be able to alternate pick?
Quote by xsynysterx06
you can play twice as fast...
once you start, you do everything alternate picking..its a big relief from continuous downstokes.
it is an essential in the guitar world.

Make that 18 times faster.

Ever tried tremolo picking with only downstrokes or only upstrokes?
Quote by rockr09
so if i want to be a good solo guitarist i better be able to alternate pick?

You can't even become a mediocre high school guitarist without alt picking. It's very simple and nessasary. Besides, if you want to be good, you should learn everything there is to learn, stop half assing.
iv been using alternate picking for years, and its the cleanest and least alkward way of getting the notes out. i used economy picking for a while before i used alternate, and alternate is definately the cleaner of the two techniques. it takes a bit of time to get the hang of, but itl definately make your playing sound better. it'l also make you more comfortable with your playing, i remember before i learned to alternate pick, my playing sounded nervous, but after i got into alternate it was much easier to play accurately, in short it gives you a lot of control.

Just to clarify( because there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about what alternate picking is and what it isnt)
Alternate Picking: Every down beat is a down pick, and every up beat is an up pick(the other more simple definition is: After every up pick is a down pick, and after every down pick is an up pick. but the other way is the "correct" definition for all the music theory freaks like me.)
Alternate Picking is Not: Example: moving down a string with a downpick always, and moving up a string with an up pick always, no matter whether its a down beat or an up beat, this is known as economy picking. dont get me wrong economy picking can be good depending on what your playing(like a song with a lot of small arpeggios)

anyway, hope that answered your question(the reason i detailed this so much is i heard 3 different definitions of what Alternate Picking is. For those that already knew im sorry to have wasted your time
I've been playing ~2 months and am already alternate picking instinctively..

does it affect the tone of the note being played though?
Not particularly, unless your alternate stroking chords. then it will.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
the tone?, not as far as i know, just remember its important to always practice alternate picking with a metronome to make it sound best (yes i know i state the obvious) it starts to feel natural after a few days of practice, and after you really get it down you'll wonder how you ever got along without it