Ok, I would like to ask y'all to please help me with this

There are four tubes in this topic, 6l6, EL34, EL84, and KT88

Could you guys give the "tonality" description of each what playing style is it suited for..... PLZZ
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well, tubes aren't really suited for a style. . . sorta. There are blues players who use 6L6, blues players who use EL34, etc.
Tubes on their own have no sound, it's the circuit you put them in... You could easily make an amp that uses EL34s that has a "fender clean" type sound and one with 6L6s that sounds like a marshall..

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ yeah, but surely once they start to overdrive (at high volumes, power tube overdrive), the characteristics of the power tubes will start to come through?

I could be wrong though. Maybe you could tweak the circuit to make 6L6's overdrive like 34's etc.

Anyone?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Basically (very basically) 6L6's are known for their pronounced highs and lows with reduced mids, EL34's are known for their mids while the high and lows gently roll off. EL84's, are known for their balanced smoothness, and KT88's are like EL34's on steroids. But there are different versions of each tube, and the company has to be taken into account as well. All of these things effects the tone of the amp. IMO when I think of 6L6's I think of old Fender amp, when I think of EL34's I think of Marshall's, when I think of EL84, I think of AC30's, and when I think of KT88's I think of Slash, and Zakk Wylde. A lot of people change between 6L6's and EL34's
Aren't KT88's usually used in applications where high headroom is required due to how hard it is for them to break up?
^^^ yeah, I agree pretty much, gutch (on the ones I've tried anyway).

An interesting point about 6L6's is that they work very well for really vintage tones (old fender amps, for example), but are also pretty good for very modern amps (rectos for example).

Strange.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

An interesting point about 6L6's is that they work very well for really vintage tones (old fender amps, for example), but are also pretty good for very modern amps (rectos for example).

yea, i think about that sometimes as well
^ yeah, I think it's something to do with the characteristics of the power tube overdrive of the 6L6's. it's very tight, so sounds pretty good for blues and classic rock (the vintage tones) but also sounds brutally heavy, and the scooped mids and tightness works well for modern styles when combined with lots of pre-amp gain too...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Then why does Alexi Laiho uses a KT88 tubed VHT 292 power amp ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
And in metal its (often) more overdrive needed from the pre- amp than power- amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Wow ?? Why is that, I thought tube saturation was better sounding /?

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well tube satruation is very nice for an example crunch, but in metal you often overdrive the pre- amp moe than the power amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
So tubes with a higher saturation level will sound better for ......... lets say...... scooped tones ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
It really depends to be honest, you have to try it. I play pretty high gain stuff, and (to me anyway) it sounds better when I have the power tubes cooking as well (i.e. the volume on 10). But then I have 6L6s/5881's- it may get a bit muddy using lots of gain with, say, el34's.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?