ok i only discovered this yesterday, my guitar has been breaking alot recently, all the same problem. Imust have had it fixed by the music shop about 5 times now. I have had stuff re-soldered, and a new output jack fitted.

Heres waht i tihnk the problem is./... I normally use my effects pedal. but yesterdaymy m8came round and i couldnt be bothered, so i just did a direct feed into the amp. It worked all morning, but then cause i wanted to get some cool sounds for a solo, i pluggedit into my pedal, and WALA! it didnt work. SO i took the guitar out of the pedal and pluggedit into the amp, still nothing (just no sound at all)

Can anyone help? Or has anyone experianced this problem?
Well man, use of effects pedal vs. direct amp input will not effect your guitar at all because none of the energy of the amp or pedals is going into the gutar, but the sound waves are going from the guitar into the amp, its just weak solder joints and shoddy wiring, also make sure your vol./tone knobs are nice and tight because if they are loose they will spin around and pop off wires like crazy sorry I cant help you more.
travis C
My Guitars:
80s Charvel RR V
80s Kramer Baretta II american
1990 Jackson Dinky
80s B.C. Rich STIII
Fender MIM strat
Hamer Special
LTD F-250
80s Westone
Epi SG
My Custom "super squier"
Custom Kramer 300st
71 Yamaha acoustic
could be the cord and yeah chech the output jack and the knobs take off the pickguard if you have one and look for disconnected wires
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
i had a similar problem (i was blaming my inline tuner) turned out i had damaged my $40 OFC cable with my stool leg. HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmm
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
There are high probabilities that the soldering isnt perfect or the jack had malfunctioned, but i doubt that its broken. Maybe after the solder isnt properly connected or heated. 1st thing you should do before buying new stuffs is check the easy parts 1st. Check:
1) ur amps, if you have another guitar lying around test it
2) ur cable(s)
3) the solder jobs and all its connections
4) the output jack's connection
5) volume pot(s)

*if its the same music store, then you're better off doing everything urself, clearly that that isnt working at all...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
hmm, been bz with exams.... still havent finished though
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Is a good guitar. Cos **** ones tend to fall to bits after a while. Also the cables brake sometimes aswell. Better just buyin urself a decent guitar. Get an epiphone les paul.
Quote by swash
Is a good guitar. Cos **** ones tend to fall to bits after a while. Also the cables brake sometimes aswell. Better just buyin urself a decent guitar. Get an epiphone les paul.

not all epi les pauls are great aswell
are u hand tightening a loose input jack???

if u tighten the nut on Any input jack, without also holding it from the inside, ull spin the jack and rip off the same two wires. (over and over)

if it gets loose all the time, u can use a gripped washer to keep it tight.

*also check ur cable like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
just buy a new guitar. SHops rip you off repairing it and youll probably end up paying the same amount in the long run as you would for a better guitar that wont have problems as much
Quote by TheDarkestNight
just buy a new guitar. SHops rip you off repairing it and youll probably end up paying the same amount in the long run as you would for a better guitar that wont have problems as much

not everyone can afford a new guitar
plus a new jack is about $2.

a soldering iron is about $8.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

and a burn on your finger by accidentally touching the hot part of the soldering iron is priceless
^ not if you have super hard callouses or however u spell it
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
not if you happen to be a right handed guitarist and touch a soldering iron with your right hand
Quote by azn_guitarist25
and a burn on your finger by accidentally touching the hot part of the soldering iron is priceless

I actually grabbed the bottom bit of the soldering iron when soldering.
I actually heard my skin crackle and it ended up blistered.
That was a good day.
If the repair shop did a decent job of it will probably just be your cable. Also check any patch cables/the cable from effects going into your amp. Maybe even your amp. Check the amp input jack etc. check to see if the speakers are properly connected. I wouldn't reccomend opening it up yourself though if it's a tube amp.
well im doing some soldering during the holidays but im afraid of burning myself cos i got quite a few performances like 2 weeks after the holidays
come on its not that tough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

nah, cos im doing classical songs and all it is fingerpicking so yeah my teacher would go nuts