hi. are these any good? i mainly play metal, but i'm looking for a change. if these aren't any good, what else is good for around $180 Australian?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
They are very good, I've got one.

But with Muffs, you really really need to try to see if you like first, their tone is very subjective.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
But with Muffs, you really really need to try to see if you like first

*controls giggles* Yeah I agree.
Love is not a victory march.
well to be honest i'n just buying it to get a different tone from that of my dsl. can i get like a Qotsa tone out of it?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I've not tried to get a Qotsa tone, but didn't he use them at some point?
Don't be afraid to care"

he did in that band he was in before qotsa. and jack white uses one i think, but its painted red.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^It might sound different with red paint....
Don't be afraid to care"

of course. i should have realised. red makes your pedal go faster....
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
No? Red makes your pedals melting points lower.
Don't be afraid to care"

ah i should have realised.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
exactly. at least with a big muff you can murder someone with it. hey seljer is there any cool mods you can do to a big muff?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
exactly. at least with a big muff you can murder someone with it. hey seljer is there any cool mods you can do to a big muff?

yeah, theres a ton of Big Muff mods but I haven't messed around with them yet.

changing the values of the things in the tone control: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/ (plots the EQ curves of a Big Muff tone control depending on the components that are used...also does amp tone stacks)

adding another knob to the tone control for example: http://www.muzique.com/lab/tone3.htm

there also something about removing the resistors that go for the emmitters of the transistors to ground and replacing them with jumpers or 5k trimpots (lets you vary the amount of negative feedback from stage to stage)

apparently the thing responds rather well a to treble boost in front of it as well

Theoretically you could convert an american one to a russian one to a vintage one by changing part values too. I believe the Russian ones are better for modding, better built internally.
Last edited by seljer at Jul 2, 2006,
not at my music store. its $30 more. and i prefer the look of the russian. and it has a gain control rather than a sustain control.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^But from what i understood the sutain is the same as gain?

Ill get my muff as soon as i have the money (and order it)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by azn_guitarist25
jeez joel for an extra $11 you can get an american big muff

the sound is different though, its up to what you prefer

and sustaid does = gain prettymuch
regardless i have store credit and i can only afford the russian.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
hey seljer. have you played both? if so what is the sound difference?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I haven't played both of them but to what I've heard the american one has a bit more gain and is a bit "smoother" sounding, the russian one is a bit more to the fuzzy side.

But they all sound like Big Muffs
i want the fuzzier one! i will get it. besides black is cool. reckon i could get a QOTSA tone outta it? paired with my dsl of course.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by seljer
I haven't played both of them but to what I've heard the american one has a bit more gain and is a bit "smoother" sounding, the russian one is a bit more to the fuzzy side.

But they all sound like Big Muffs

hey seljer have you played/ heard the Bad Cat X-treme Tone
Quote by MastaBassist10
Muffs are really smooth...

providing you turn that tone control to the bassy side