Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone,

A mate of mine got me started on this site. He's got a bass customisation thread on here and it's turned out really well so i thought i might create my own for this project.

So this is how it is. When my dad was 20 odd my mum gave him a hondo acoustic guitar as a christmas gift. He loved it at the time but soon gave the idea of becoming a guitarist away. He learnt G, C, D and A minor chords and pretty much left it at that haha.

So as i learnt to play with my first guitar (a dodgy 3/4 size nylon string ashton) i inevitably inherited his acoustic. It's not a fantastic guitar, but at the same time i was pretty pumped to have, what i considered at the time, my first 'real' guitar. I've since been through a number of electric and acoustic guitars and just for a bit of background info, currently play a yamaha pacifica and a cole clark FL2AC.

However, as other guitars have come and gone the old hondo has stayed with me. it's hard to sell a guitar that you don't really "officially" own. So instead i've decided to turn it into something that i'm no longer embarassed to have sitting in the corner of my bedroom.

This thread's dedicated to the customisation of the hondo. To be perfectly honest i have not really considered what i'm going to do past the sanding stage so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Wish me luck!

Here are a couple of pics of it before i started...

The hondo on my bed.

And again... looking neglected i know...

Rear view.
Last edited by adrian_brown89 at Jul 2, 2006,
chemically strip it. DO NOT sand it. acoustics are made with specific tolerances for the wood thickness. if you sand too deep youll ruin it
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^I'd think the chemicals would permeate into the wood somehow...

Dunno, never used stripper.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
no stuff like kleen strip wont hurt the woodat least not as bad as a sander going to deep
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
In my experience with stripper it can soak in to the wood abit colouring the wood. Your better of hand sanding it, acoustic often have thinner finishes so it won't be to hard. btw do you realise refinishing will most likely change the sound of the guitar.
why are you ashamed of it bro?

it looks liek anyother acoustic- dont **** wiht it - its a classic

i suggest new tuners, new nut n saddle, maybe some fancy bridge pins- and some elixers man!! dont ya dig on that?
hey guys thanks for the responses... i've actually just finished sanding back the face... i know it's quite a nice guitar lol... hardly a classic though. i've decided to pass on the idea of a stripper just because i'm worried about the strength of the wood itself... i think that if i used a stripper i'd end up damaging the wood itself. i've sanded it back and it's looking pretty good at the moment... i'm going to put up the pics tonight.

me and lespaulmarshall have been working hard... those of you that know him.

i bought a new scratch plate and volume and tone knobs today. i think it's going to come up fairly well at the moment... really not sure, time will tell.

thanks for the great ideas tho guys keep them coming!!
what exactly are you gonna do to it dude?

i mean- now youve sanded it- your basically ****ed- it ill soudn liek this when you apint- you can install a fancy top- youve ruined the back- wich had nice grain to it- alsom some sort of quilt

id liek to know what your great plans are bro- or are you just bored n ****in up a vintage acoustic- that probably kicked ass- jsut for the hell of it??

idk- but you seem liek youre 12 man
Quote by tongue untied
idk- but you seem liek youre 12 man

I cannot help but laugh at the irony of this comment.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
I cannot help but laugh at the irony of this comment.

I too laughed lol... He is 17...

In those pictures the gutiar I think actually looks really quite good, but in reality it really was shocking. It didnt even look like a classic/vintage kind, just old and dodgy.

We sanded the front and started the back, it will then be oiled using this stuff:

Its sooo good, it brings out the grain bueatifully, I used it on my fretless bass neck.
This project might not work; but then again it might turn out loverly, and at this point in time i say its guna be great. He is getting a new saddle, new nut maybe and new tuners, and we got elxiers today to whoever said to lol
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by adrian_brown89
hey guys thanks for the responses... i've actually just finished sanding back the face... i know it's quite a nice guitar lol... hardly a classic though. i've decided to pass on the idea of a stripper just because i'm worried about the strength of the wood itself... i think that if i used a stripper i'd end up damaging the wood itself. i've sanded it back and it's looking pretty good at the moment... i'm going to put up the pics tonight.

me and lespaulmarshall have been working hard... those of you that know him.

i bought a new scratch plate and volume and tone knobs today. i think it's going to come up fairly well at the moment... really not sure, time will tell.

thanks for the great ideas tho guys keep them coming!!

Now that you've already sanded it down, it would be cool if you french polished it.

What are you doing with the pots? is it going to be like a john lennon epiphone?

Edit: ^i wouldn't use that sort of finish on the top. Oil finishes don't offer much protection against water and sweat, if your going to finish it, do it properly. The oil may dampen the tone as well.
Last edited by dave293 at Jul 3, 2006,
lol settle down man why does it bother you that much... it's not a "vintage" guitar... it was never an "expensive" or "quality" guitar... and unless i'd done something with it it was probably going to end up in the trash in the not to distant future... it already sounds like puss so i'm really not going to make it a gr8 deal worse... i'm just trying to have a bit of fun with it... maybe make it look a bit better or if not better just a bit different to what it already does... and this is my first customisation job so if you want to cut me some slack that would be gr8.

i'm really not hurting you by doing this am i? and if you think i'm hurting myself or my guitar by doing it then that's your problem, not mine... i'm enjoying myself and to be honest i think it's going to turn out ok... suggestions are fantastic, your opinion has been noted and i appreciate the fact that you took the time to share it man, but i honestly don't appreciate the abuse... so if you could stop calling me a 12 year old i'd really appreciate it dude thanks.
yeah i'm using white spirits first just to give it a clean up and then polishing it using the oil that lespaulmarshall has in his hand... and really sorry, *excuse my ignorance* lol what are pots?
Alrighty here's the first day's progress

Removed string first of course and took out the machine heads also. Possibly the biggest challenge of the day was getting the scratch plate off... but with determination, a stanlely knife, a screwdriver and plenty of patience... we managed to get it off in the end.
Got the front sanded back entirely using 40 grit sandpaper and then just smoothed it over using 240 grit... then we did about 15 minutes on the back.

here are the pics... there are too many for one post... so i've spread them over two

Before we started

The actual model sticker.

Removing the machine heads

Levering off the scratch plate.

...... finall got it off.

Initial stages of sanding
Last edited by adrian_brown89 at Jul 3, 2006,

Me sanding away.

And again... we taped the bridge and the bottom of the neck... just to make sure we didn't end up sanding them away.

Tom aka 'lespaulmarshall' holding it up.. nearly finished... you'll notice just a few of the vanish blotches still showing through.

The front finished... well almost finished... i gave it a bit more of a going over around the bridge but i don't have any pics after that sorry guys.

... and again. the wood is a lighter colour where the scratch plate originally was but that's ok because the replacement covers it entirely.

Tom starting on the back.

keep up the feedback guys i really appreciate it.
woot! go tom! you're wearing a mask outside when sanding? oh tom is soo much more hardcore than you.

looks good though.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
tom was wearing a mask the majority of the time too believe it or not haha.. but yes i think he probably is. thanks very much though haha.
Pots are the volume and tone knobs.

I have that same sander btw. And you should always wear a mask when sanding or doing any woodwork, that dust is nasty.
oh. my faith in tom has depleted. i thought he was hardcore....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
oh no tom is hardcore... but there's a fine line between being hardcore and choking on sawdust.

and dave293, i've actually bought new volume and tone knobs today... they're really cheap and nasty i guess but they look pretty good... and i think they'll look good on my idea of "the finished product"... what would you suggest?
the knobs are the bit that control the pot. if you look in side you'll see some metal things...sorry i suck at explainig. these will need to be replaced or at least serviced. if you dont wanna replace them then just spray some crc inside them.

oh and i sanded my guitar for like a week in the summer in rocky (damn tupac paint!!). i'm easily more hardcore.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
oh no tom is hardcore... but there's a fine line between being hardcore and choking on sawdust.

and dave293, i've actually bought new volume and tone knobs today... they're really cheap and nasty i guess but they look pretty good... and i think they'll look good on my idea of "the finished product"... what would you suggest?

I dunno.

When i you first mentioned new knobs i didn't realise that there was already pots on the guitar, i though doing this would have been cool.
ok i think i know what you guys mean by pots now.. and to be honest i think i'm a bit too much of a novice to be playing around with that just yet... i'm not planning on amplifying this thing any time soon... i think my next project might be to fully deck it out.. new pups etc. but for now i think i'm just gonna leave it at a cosmetic level haha.

what's crc by the way, is it going to help at all? ($$?) and i never doubted that you were the most harcore.........
Quote by dave293
Pots are the volume and tone knobs.

I have that same sander btw. And you should always wear a mask when sanding or doing any woodwork, that dust is nasty.

That is my sander it does the job tho, 15 bucks haha

And yeah the second that the pic with me with no mask on was just taken 2 seconds before the elastic snapped and basically broke my ear lol...if that is possible haha

EDIT: and there is no need for crc, everythign is moveable. We just got the covers of the knobs, no new pots etc

wooo an interview with chris martin is on
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Last edited by lespaulmarshall at Jul 3, 2006,
crc's just spray on cleaner for metals and such. it RAWKS!
oh and tom and dave my sander pwns your sander!
oh and your wearing your watch while your sanding?!?!?!?!!!
you're silly. nah but seriously restaining a guitar is easy so just dont **** it up.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve

oh and tom and dave my sander pwns your sander!

Probably , Mine doesn't work that good, it was like $15 from bunnings you can't really go wrong.
yeah this one's really good... does the job nicely... only one complaint... either the actual bottom of the sander isn't level... or the guitar isn't level... but either way there are sections of the sandpaper that are wearing b4 others.

another quick question too... is there an easier way to do the sides of the guitar... i'm thinking that i'm probably not going to be able to sand it back with the electric sander... so i'm gonna have to do it by hand... but i think that's gonna take foreeeever... so is there an easier way to do it? or am i just gonna have to slog it out?
slog it out, live with it thats life. make tom do it

well my sanders a old makita one, which i have two of. and by mine i mean my dad bought a new one and i got the old one.....but regardless i have it

hey dave can you make necks?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ Hahhaa or not, its his bloody guitar lol...

But its true, I am more hardcore
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
DAMN YOU TOM!!! I"M MORE HARDCORE!!!!!! YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!

slugging it is the only way you'll learn.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
haha i dunno... it's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as tom... the race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close... but i think tom's got his nose just in front for now... were you front row for korn?... didn't think so
does tom listen to converge. NO, I WIN!!!!!!

seriously though korn isn't hardcore. even more so on UG.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
slog it out, live with it thats life. make tom do it

well my sanders a old makita one, which i have two of. and by mine i mean my dad bought a new one and i got the old one.....but regardless i have it

hey dave can you make necks?

I can...

adrian_brown89 Your going to have to slog it out, i wouldn't be using stripper or a power sander on sides.
DAY 2

ok so today tom and i finished off sanding the back of the body... i swear to god that varnish must have been a centimetre thick... took hours literally. we've now officially finished sanding the back of the body and have made a bit of a start on the neck and headstock. we've also done a little bit of scratching at the side of the body.

the main highlight of the day however wasn't the fact that we finished sanding the back of the guitar... we oiled both sides today to see how they would come up... just couldn't wait til we were done haha.

the front came up, for lack of better words, absolutely ****. lol however at this point in time i think i'm going to stain it really dark to hide all of the patchiness in the wood.

the back however came up looking absolutely sensational. the grain of the wood is unbelievably nice and the oil on it just makes it look sooo beautiful.

the photos don't do it justice but here they are anyway.

the back... half sanded away, you can still see the sections of varnish that haven't been removed yet.

the front after it had been oiled.... as i said it looks pretty poor but i'm hoping that with a dark stain it will come up looking quite nice.

the back after it had been oiled

this pic shows the grain of the wood really well. i love it

and this one shows the depth of colour that it has... as i said the photos don't do it justice... it looks amazing.

anyway that's it for today... if anybody has suggestions on what i should do with the front then that would be fantastic... i'm still thinking along the lines of a dark stain but if somebody can find flaws in that idea or suggest something better or even different then that would be gr8. thanks heaps everyone.
Page 1 of 2