I play mostly classic rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top to name a few. I'm looking for a tube amp head in the $1000 range around 50 watts. I've been looking at the nearest Guitar Center and have come up with three possibles. 1) Marshall JSM 2000 DSL50 2) Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 3) VOX AC30

Any personal experiences with these amps would be helpful, good bad or otherwise. Any other suggestions would be nice.
^ no. not a "don't get it", but it's certainly not "no contest".

you probably want to look at a traynor ycv40 (6L6's) and ycv 50 blue (EL34's) as well.

AFAIK, billy gibbons uses fender amps most of the time, and they normally use 6L6's.

you really need to decide which bands you play most, etc. and if you can try them, then that's obviously preferable as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Skynyrd is my favorite. I do like the Marshall the best so far. The guys at GC will let me play all day on the amps, so demo'ing them is no problem. This being a major investment for me, I just want to make a wise decision. I will also look at other amps as well, these three are what has caught my eye/ear so far.
I really prefer the Marshall JCM800s and 900s over the 2000s. If you can get one of those, that would be my first choice. Second choice would be JCM2000. The Fender Hot Rod may not be able to reach gain levels you would like. The Vox AC30 is amazing, but doesnt have much overdrive either, but you can always add and overdrive pedal.

1. Marshall JCM800/900
2. Marshall JCM2000
3. Vox AC30
4. Traynor YCV50Blue
5. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Look for a used Marshall JCM800 2 channel combo if you can find one, if not, any of the amps suggested will be great for you, just try them.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^Mmmmmmmmm.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Mesa Mark IV! Hands down the best and most versatile for this.
Lava Man

Your One Stop High-End Custom Cable Shop
Thats out of his price range though isnt it? ^

thats my next amp :P
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
Quote by Dave_Mc

AFAIK, billy gibbons uses fender amps most of the time, and they normally use 6L6's.

He uses Marshalls from what i know. He was one of the players wjo endrosed the JCM900 and is on Marshalls site. I think his sound is also quite Marshall'ish. Skynyrd uses Mesas Rectos or Peavey XXX's today (can't remember wich), but back in the old days they used Marshalls. Id sya get a JCM800 or JCM900 or a Plexi
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^ fair enough, gabe, but he's definitely used fenders as well. I know the songs I've heard by ZZ sound more fendery than Marshally in their overdrive, imo at least. I'm far from an expert on ZZ though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all of the info. I will definitely look at the Marshall JCM 800's and 900's as well.
to get a zz top sound, just be born in texas, grow a beard, sing about a whore house in texas, and play through an overdriven fender amp
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
billy gibbons now uses crate V series. the VFX with 2 12's like 20 of em on stage. heh
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
I thought zz top used Mesa dual rectos?

Maybe he could try a valveking....I don' tknow if it has enough gain though.
Can't do much about the born in Texas thing! I could probably handle the rest.! I did think about and demo a Valveking 100 head. I did like it, but, I'm still considering options.
no, i saw them (zz top) live a few months back, they had all Crate V50's on stage behind them. in red. go to the crate website, he should be front page.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ fair enough, gabe, but he's definitely used fenders as well. I know the songs I've heard by ZZ sound more fendery than Marshally in their overdrive, imo at least. I'm far from an expert on ZZ though.

There could be a simple reason, Billy Gibbons is american (no shit) which means he's bought the amps in america and Marshalls come stock with 6L6's (i think,i prefer EL-34's) in the US.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Dr.Ripper
I thought zz top used Mesa dual rectos?

Maybe he could try a valveking....I don' tknow if it has enough gain though.

VK's got enough gain, but he can do better, especially with his budget.
A Bassman is a little over your budget, but the fender or vox would do great.
Also check out the Edana 45 http://www.collegestationhome.com/products.htm.
Definitely gor for an 800 or 900 if you're gonna get a marshall. Personally, I'd get a vox with an overdrive pedal. That way, you get one of the best clean sounding amps with Brian May-ish overdrive... not bad!
Btw, I saw ZZ top using Traynor amps
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

marshalls come with el34's only. 6l6 is fender. BUT go to the crate website. seriously. billy gibbons uses the crate V50's. i saw them live only months ago. i have the exact same amp.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Quote by Gabel
There could be a simple reason, Billy Gibbons is american (no shit) which means he's bought the amps in america and Marshalls come stock with 6L6's (i think,i prefer EL-34's) in the US.

that's true.

of course, odds are he's used loads of amps in his time...

Quote by AcDc_1337
marshalls come with el34's only. 6l6 is fender. BUT go to the crate website. seriously. billy gibbons uses the crate V50's. i saw them live only months ago. i have the exact same amp.

Some marshalls come with 6550's etc. they aren't all el34. and the lower wattage ones normally have el84's...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, didnt know that. most of the heads etc (higher watts) come with el34's though? thats what i thought atleast.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
^ i think zakk maybe uses 6550's (or kt88's? I dunno, but some of those slightly less well-known tubes).

but yeah, most (over here at least) of th higher wattage ones are el34...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?