I have just learned how to sweep on the bass and I was wondering who else sweeps?
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
not me
tell me u use ur thumb right?
who are you to wave your finger......
i've seen wooten do it with his thumb do you guys do that or with a pick?
Sweeping as in double thumping, or sweeping as raking triplets with 3 fingers?

I can't double thump, but I can rake triplets.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
not sure its either, search for some vids of wooten sweeping.
umm actually im having a bit of a problem with it, any chance any1 here can help me. i can go up fine, but coming back down is a problem...
I use my thumb sweeping up and my middle finger going down.I started learning sweeping after listening to Zero Hour(a great prog metal band with a great guitar and bass player who are twin brothers)
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
yeah. Sweep could refer to double thumping, raking triplets, or doing a literal sweep like 4string posted.

Flea sweeps (literal).
Wooten sweeps (double thump.)
Claypool sweeps (raked triplets.)

I would've naturally assumed you meant the Flea PLD droning-ish sweep off the name as its the only one that is, like... sweeping. But I need you to tell me what you meant. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Sweeping as in double thumping, or sweeping as raking triplets with 3 fingers?

I can't double thump, but I can rake triplets.

Raking triplets is tons o' fun. I learned on the song "The Toys Go Winding Down". My 3rd finger had never had much play, so I needed a whole new callous. Still, fun technique.

Anyone have any videos of Wooten sweeping? I'm not totally sure what sound it produces when done with the thumb, need a refresher.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
umm search around on youtube, i think theres one where he does a huge solo thing as a segue to "Amazing Grace"
it was so awesome, me and this amazing bass player at my school would jam and have sweep offs, me on guitar and him on bass. doing like Utb said literal sweeps.
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
check out adam nitti
Member #5 of the I Am Canadian club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
i go thumb from low to high strings, then index from high to low. i dont use it often... i just practice it once in a while in case i find a song with a lot of arpeggiation
is sweeping like this =

(i dont know code)

T
-------------4h7-12-7p4--------------
----------5-----------------5-----------
----2h5-----------------------5p2----
-3-----------------------------------3--

or this =

----------4----------
-------5----5---------
----5----------5------
-3----------------3---