Page 1 of 4
Haha, so yesterday I plugged in my vintage 60's Fender Bassman, and it just sort of exploded on me. The smoke smelled really gross. Sounded nice before it blew up though(only lasted 20 seconds.)

Anyways, here is my amp:

Gr00vy eh?

Here is le back. I've taken off the back cover.

Gut shot.

Those are the filter caps in the doghouse, they've got little holes with foamy stuff leaking out...weird. It's what I expected though, the caps are 37 years old. (I've figured out this amp is from '69.)

More pics will come as I fix it up.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
wow, thats a bit of bad luck
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Ohhh... I read the title and im like... "Wait, hes happy that his Fender Vintage Bassman exploded" but then I read that you were going to fix it up. That made me happy Good luck though. I feel bad for it.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 2, 2006,
that sucks.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Is that a stock CBS Bassman? or did you go through the process of making like a pre-CBS Bassman?

Well, good luck with the fixing. Ive got two pre-CBS Bassman's (Bassmen?) and they kick total ass, so I know yours must too.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Ohhh... I read the title and im like... "Wait, hes happy that his Fender Vintage Bassman exploded" but then I read that you were going to fix it up. That made me happy

i'm only be happy if it was a mg50dfx,
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
It's standard maintenance, you need to change the big electrolytic capacitors because they age and stop working. And it was cool, seeing your amp spewing smoke gives you a bit of an adrenalin rush if you know what I mean. I don't mind, I was expecting to fix it up, and fixing stuff is fun for the most part.

And CBS bought Fender in '65, so yes, this amp is CBS era.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Gut shot.

There's your problem, someone's put babybells in the circuit board.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ You mean the babybel cheese????

You might want to replace some of those questionable looking resistors as well. I know of a place that sells all kinds of vintage Allen Bradley resitors.
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jul 2, 2006,
^Yea.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
It's standard maintenance, you need to change the big electrolytic capacitors because they age and stop working. And it was cool, seeing your amp spewing smoke gives you a bit of an adrenalin rush if you know what I mean. I don't mind, I was expecting to fix it up, and fixing stuff is fun for the most part.

Oh noes! I hope your pt/ot are in working order!

Btw, what happens to the elecrolytic caps as they age is the electrolytic compound breaks down, and they "dry out". Funny thing is, as long as you're using/running voltage through them, they'll maintain the electrolytic compound. It's only when they go through a period of disuse that they actually dry out.

Think of it like a muscle, as long as you work it out every now and then, it's fine. But if you go 30 years sitting around doing nothing, the muscle shrivels up, and explodes when you push 400+ volts through it.

You know... just in case anyone was wondering. And there ARE tons of more accurate descriptions online.
Does the rust on the transformers go through to the laminates? If they do you're f00ked.. (That's technical speak.. honest.) They look a little suspect to me, I'd meter them.

PS: Looks like a resistor in the power-supply died... If you want the amp for playing (rather than for gaining value) switch it for a higher wattage wire wound.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
And when were you going to tell us you had this amp?

Even though it blew up its still nice
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I'm pretty sure the trannies are ok...but what do you mean exactly when you say to "meter" them? The rust isn't really very deep, you can scrape through it pretty easily. It seems to be an external coat, but yeah, checking them would be a good idea.
I know they function somewhat too.

And the powersupply resistor is fine, it's just some crap that spewed out of a capacitor. I wiped it off and measured the resistance with my DMM and it's in fine form. I have heard that a 1 watt resistor is a better choice for this position though.
i personaly think a amp blowing up is the best way for it to go, i love the smell of the smoke and everything, good luck fixing it, and did the heat crack or shatter the tubes?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
i personaly think a amp blowing up is the best way for it to go, i love the smell of the smoke and everything, good luck fixing it, and did the heat crack or shatter the tubes?

It was just a puff of smoke, not a full fledged inferno.
Quote by power freak
Does the rust on the transformers go through to the laminates? If they do you're f00ked.. (That's technical speak.. honest.) They look a little suspect to me, I'd meter them.

PS: Looks like a resistor in the power-supply died... If you want the amp for playing (rather than for gaining value) switch it for a higher wattage wire wound.

the words of god himself
The eBay thing explains a lot. I say NEVER EVER buy an amp of eBay, they always have problems, I got an amp off a guy with 100% pos feedback and it just stopped after about a week, it just made a buzzing noise. He also said it was tube, which it wasn't. Still have the actual amp chassis tho so that would make a nice project.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The eBay thing explains nothing...I bought it with a full understanding that it might not have been serviced since the 60's. I was expecting to have to service it. I bought it because I like doing this stuff. The filter caps are BOUND to have issues if they haven't been replaced in 37/38(not quite sure how old, pots date back to '68, unofficial serial number check dates the amp '69) years. I wasn't ripped off, I was willing to take the risk, that's all. And now I have an awesome project to work on for the rest of the summer. I'm happy.

And all my eBay transactions have gone VERY well. I've bought ****loads of stuff off eBay, all of it has been great. That includes a Peavey Classic 30 for 320 dollars. Now I did get one guitar body with a crack in the finish, but I was returned the money, returned the shipping money, and I was allowed to keep the body.

I wasn't ripped off on this amp, I took the risk willingly. The auction stated it was sold "as is." Truth is, I don't even believe you when you give your eBay experience. Either you're lying because you want to somehow prove your own point, or you must have been a dope to A.)fall for such a crappy deal, and (B.)not bother to get the money back.

Anyways, I've done some preliminary tests on the transformers, they seem ok for now. It's hard to fully test them without having the rest of the amp put together and working.
Quote by eddiehimself
The eBay thing explains a lot. I say NEVER EVER buy an amp of eBay, they always have problems, I got an amp off a guy with 100% pos feedback and it just stopped after about a week, it just made a buzzing noise. He also said it was tube, which it wasn't. Still have the actual amp chassis tho so that would make a nice project.

But Fender Bassmans are THE amp to buy broken. lol. 'Specially a silverface..

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Well I just meant if you want a working amp it's a bad idea to buy the amp off ebay. Plus the bastard told me that there was nothing wrong with it!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^But it's not a bad idea. It's a very good idea. Things are way cheap.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I'm pretty sure the trannies are ok...but what do you mean exactly when you say to "meter" them?

and i thought you were straight?

speaking of a silverface princeton reverb that i have... (CBS era i think..)

oh wait, we're not
Update:

PT+OT+Choke are fine. Pretty much positive. The rust isn't deep at all, I've scrubbed 'em down with some alchohol and a spongey thing that I usually use for cleaning PCB's. I'm also scrubbing down the chassis, just cleaning things up a bit. No other parts yet, still need to buy new capacitors, and a 3 prong power cord.

Pics coming soon(lost the camera.)

My workspace.

I cleaned up the chassis a bit with some sort of alcohol based solvent, and scrubbed it with this spongey thing. Then I decided to go overboard, so I polished it and buffed it out with some 3m car stuff that I bought for polishing my guitars.

Back tube guard, the tolex was peeling off in back. Used some Elmers(white glue) to glue the stuff down...

At which point I clamped it to dry.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen

the caps with the stuff coming out, replace them, and check the others too (see if they are still in specs) and you should be set. (i repair things like this for a living. mainly TV's)

EDIT: seems im a little late. oops
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^Yep, w0rd. The caps are a must. I'm also going to check the other caps' resistive load. I've already checked a few of the resistors here and there, and they're all(so far) within the +/- 10% of the specified value, which is actually pretty good. These carbon comp resistors are pretty prone to drifting.

And check back in here occasionally in case I need some proffessional advice.

BTW, are these TV's and stuff that you fix old tube ones or what? Because being able to service a modern TV is certainly quite an accomplishment. Tube amps are comparatively simple.
yea i might end up getting a vintage fender or a marshall jcm800/900 or plexi off ebay and maybe fix it up if anything is wrong with it.

yea well keep us updated on your updating. i want to see how it looks once its all nice and clean and finished.

how complicated is building a tube amp or tube pedal? i know you built one so i was wondering. i havent worked with tubes yet so i want to get some experience with them by building a pedal or amp, or just fixing up a vintage tube amp.
^most TV's today are tubes (CRT= cathode ray tube) but you wouldnt say tubes, i know what you mean.

and we fix them, unfornately, it isnt worth it much anymore since TV's are so cheap nowadays.
but ive fixed an old record player that was kinda neat. was a changer, and it was cool.

we are really getting into computer building and repair now. i want to get tube amps in here, but no calls.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Page 1 of 4