Page 1 of 5
Hey guys. I am almost ready to start my second pedal build. This one is special though. Its going to be a Fuzz type pedal with a twist. There is going to be 4 different fuzzes in one box. I call it the 4uzz.

Here are the fuzzes I am putting: Metal Face (Hi Gain Thrasher), Face MOS (Touch Sensitive), May Queen II (Treble Boosted), and Muscle Face (Arnold Schwarzenegger Tone).

Each one of these fuzzes start off with the same circuit but there are 2 capacitors and 2 transistors that are different in each. I am going to place these 4 switchable parts into sockets so I am able to do other fuzzes in place of the ones there already. The other switchable fuzzes are MOS Face-ish (Jack Orman-ish), 1970 Fuzz Face (Classic B.O.G.), 1967 Fuzz Face (Jimi at Monterey), and Easy Face-ish (Joe Gagan-ish). I would do the 1967 Fuzz Face (Jimi at Monterey) in my first line up, but it requires 2 NPN Germ. transistors and I dont want to buy those yet since they are mildly expensive.

So theres 8 possible fuzzes, and 4 of them will be availible at a time in the box.

I will have a rotary switch to switch between the 4 fuzzes. There will be a Volume and Gain/Fuzz pot for each circuit board.

The parts should be here around Wednesday so I will begin then probably.

If you have any questions or comments, please ask or tell.

Thanks!
dude, i want to do that, can u send me a list of parts and a step-by-step on how u plan to make it?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
Mster. Have you built any pedals before? This is an easy build, but the making of 4 in 1 makes it a little more complex. If you have built before, it would be good for you, but if you havent, I can help you out with it so that you can still change parts and have 8 presets, but only 1 at a time. But I would love to help you out with it.
Man thi ssounds awesome, good luck with it dude
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
cant wait to see it

Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Nice idea.

Good luck.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Thanks guys. I cant wait either. It should be a really different build and im sure all of my friends will want to steal it from me

Everything should be here around wednesday . Check back!
you could wire up 4 rotary switches you can mix and match everything into any combination you can think of (but you've allready ordered parts so...)
I mean like you have one rotary switch to choose between 4 different transistors in one place. Another switch to choose between the transistor in the second place. Another rotary switch to choose between the input capacitors (though you could do this one with a potentiometer without too much trouble to allow you to choose roughly any amount between a small and a large capacitor)...
Good Luck Can't wait to see how this turns out, any chance of you making it into a tutorial? I'd be intersted in building something like this.

Peace
Seems like a cool idea actually, good luck!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i opened this thread to tell you to learn how to spell. Good job i read your first post. Sounds sweet! i may have to build me one of these, the way i see it, you can never have enough types of distortion.
Quote by thesumoftwo
i opened this thread to tell you to learn how to spell. Good job i read your first post. Sounds sweet! i may have to build me one of these, the way i see it, you can never have enough types of distortion.

I did that too

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
www.smallbearelec.com
www.rshelectronics.co.uk

Smallbear are american though. Pink Queen recommended them, they took paypal and I couldn't be assed searching for somewhere else at the time.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
also http://www.maplin.co.uk/ and http://banzaieffects.com/ (this ones in germany but delivery is pretty fast in general around europe, and shipping isn't too much unless you're ordering a ton of stuff...which I seem to always do but at that point its irrellevant anyway)

and I'm probably going to do a Electroharmonix Muff Fuzz tutorial soon.
Quote by seljer
also http://www.maplin.co.uk/ and http://banzaieffects.com/ (this ones in germany but delivery is pretty fast in general around europe, and shipping isn't too much unless you're ordering a ton of stuff...which I seem to always do but at that point its irrellevant anyway)

and I'm probably going to do a Electroharmonix Muff Fuzz tutorial soon.

^ Oooh, I built one of those

btw seljer, does the thing the bassist turn into change every now and then? I could've sworn it was a chicken or something before.
Hey guys. I just recieved all of the parts! I am working on it and should have pictures of at least 1 complete board. This will be without soldering or offboard wiring (I think).

I have a question... On a radial electro. capacitor, is the shorter or longer wire positive (+).

I am taking pictures of the placement of the resistors, then the trim pot, then the capacitors, etc. so I can show step by step what to do. Its a very simple build. Minimal parts needed for each board, except for the fact that its 4 pedals so theres a bunch of similar parts.
Greenbox. Its all black and it has a grey line going down it. It looks like this:
http://www.opamp-electronics.com/~opamp/catalog/images/10uF_50V_Radial_Electrolytic_Capacitor_003049.gif
shorter lead is negative on almost all components. im interested to see how this turns out (hopefully not like my fuzz face as it was before i fixed it)

be really careful with your wiring on these things because since they are pretty high gain if yuou mess up you get a very unpleasent oscillation
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by seljer
I mean like you have one rotary switch to choose between 4 different transistors in one place. Another switch to choose between the transistor in the second place. Another rotary switch to choose between the input capacitors (though you could do this one with a potentiometer without too much trouble to allow you to choose roughly any amount between a small and a large capacitor)...

would this be like custom distortion, like which componet fits the song best lol
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Long is positive.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
With Pots:

Parts soldered to their holes:

Remeber, this is the Metal Face circuit board. The other ones will have 2 different transistors/FETs and 2 different capacitors.

Tomarrow I should have the parts connected to their correct places. If this happens by tomarrow, I will be testing it out and maybe even recording some sound clips!!! .
Are the circuits identical other than the caps/transistors?

Are you gonna build 4 circuits then?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
have you soldered on the right side of the board??? it looks like you've put the components on the pad side, and the solder on the component side
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
have you soldered on the right side of the board??? it looks like you've put the components on the pad side, and the solder on the component side

Yea yea. I accidently put them on the wrong side, but I changed them and you can see that I soldered them to the side with the copper.

Quote by frenchyfungus
Are the circuits identical other than the caps/transistors?

Are you gonna build 4 circuits then?

The circuits are identicle except the 2 transistors and the 2 capacitors (red and ceramic disk ones in this circuit). The radial electro. capacitor is there on all the circuits. And yes, I am going to build 4 circuits, each on seperate boards.
Fair enough, just seems to me it would of been cheaper/smaller to build one circuit, and use switches for the components.

Maybe more work, and certainly more confusing.

Actually, you'd need some double pole quadruple throw switches, so screw that.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by frenchyfungus
Fair enough, just seems to me it would of been cheaper/smaller to build one circuit, and use switches for the components.

Yea. Thats what Seljier was recommending me to do, but I thought and realized how confusing that would be, especially on only my second build when I would have no idea to figure out how the electronics would work to make switches to switch between different parts. So this is easier and all so I am doing it this way.
Quote by frenchyfungus

O yea. And I actually got great deals on the parts I bought. I got sets of 100 resistors for $3.50 each pack, packs of 10 capacitors for like $1.50. Yea so it was very cheap and I got way more parts then I needed so the price wasnt a problem at all.

Check out http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com . Way better and cheaper than small bear electronics. They have a bigger selection and all. I had to order some things from small bear though. 4k7 resistors, pots, and some transistors I had to get from small bear.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 3, 2006,
Guys. Who knows were to buy 3-pin and 2-pin sockets? I need 2-4, 3-pin sockets and 2-4, 2-pin sockets. They need to be the ones were the holes are in a row and not like in a V or triangle. Also, were do I get a smallish sheet of plexiglass? I need the plexiglass to be at least 7x5.

Thanks!
Just buy a 2x4 pin socket (like the ones for opamps), and use it as a 2x3 pin socket, or a 4x2 pin socket
Thanks Seljier and Greenbox. I will just buy some normal sockets and cut them. I have a pretty empty day so I should be able to do a lot! I decided im going to put a layer of plexiglass for the top so I can see in. Should look pretty cool if I make everything all neat in the box. I cant wait to finish and try this pedal!
Hey guys. I have a question.

Heres the layout for the 4uzz: http://www.runoffgroove.com/multiface-pcb.pdf

My question is, for the 3 input wires (stereo) and 2 output wires (mono), which wires go to what? It shows were the INput is, but I dont know which wires from it (tip, ring, sleeve) go where. Same for the OUTput. Can someone help please.
Page 1 of 5