http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=582

The solid Mahogany no-frills body offers traditional Les Paul performance and tone at unmatched value.

I know they made a few changes with some of the Les Pauls...but do you guys think they really changed the Studios to mahogany bodies? The description on the Epi site still says mahogany/alder body, but it's possible that it just hasn't been updated yet...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
probably, cause they intro'd the plain top and dropped all the prices in the old alder core stock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The Epiphone website is full of confusion man. The whole thing is like a big HTML blog of false advertising.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Yes, I agree, but still, they ARE making changes with current models (all now come with Grovers stock, pickup switch is supposed to be fixed)...I'm just wondering if they could even say "mahogany body" without it actually being true. It may be low grade mahogany, but it's still better than an alder core with low grade mahogan around it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yep I agree, hell it's hard to know what you're buying. Musicians Friend and Epiphone have completely different descriptions of their products. Not to mention you can barely read what the Epiphone descriptions say anyway.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Also, sometimes on MF the specs vary by the COLOR of the guitar!!

Look up the new '57 Les Paul Junior. The TV Yellow version says solid mahogany, while the Vintage Sunburst says "tonewood."

The Epi press release on the '57 Jr. states mahogany, but still, it's conflicting.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
sometimes they make guitars out of different woods depending on the finish.

if its a clear finish, ull see better looking wood underneath.

and yeah, epiphone descriptions are vague at best. they hardly mention what humbuckers come wt each model.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

What kind of finishes would perform better then? Most of the humbuckers that come with their models aren't anything to brag about anyway.. I have one and it works yeah but I wouldn't say it's anything special.
That's just the thing Jenny, it's the solid colored TV Yellow that's supposed to be solid mahogany, and the transparent Vintage Sunburst is "tonewood."

I asked on the Epi Forums and the response I got was basically that the mahogany Epiphone uses for their lower priced guitars is barely mahogany at all. They figured that it's made with this mahogany and that someone just put tonewood because it is low grade mahogany.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
LAf, sounds typical . thats why im not "jazzed" about the all mahogany guitars being put out now. doubt they are anything amazing.

i think the best thing they did was lower their prices.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^I agree.

I'm still looking into different Epi's that I want...I guess the only way to tell would be to test them out...and Guitar Center is 3 hours from me.

I guess I have a roadtrip to plan.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Epi Goth and MF special edition Studio (wine red with gold hardware) both for $299 were both all mahogany bodies, the reason theyre cheaper is no maple tops or binding along with dot fret markers Id get a Plain top quilt top or Custom although this one looks nice like a Custom3 flame top without the useless middle pup.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=519393