Page 1 of 2
thats it. im fed up of this. im getting rid of my dsl, i just cant get the high gain sound i want out of it. ive tried overdrive pedals, an EQ in the loop, anything u can bloody well think of. i hate this thing. and when i dial in a sound i just about remotely like, the cab farts out like a mofo. ive run it at all volume levels, and its just not metal enough. now i realise i made a wrong choice buying this POS, theres jack i can do about it. i can't return it, its on credit (i.e im paying for it monthly) and im never gonna get a decent price for it if i sell it second hand. im sure ive got it rigged up right, 16 ohm output into 16 ohm input, its just, i dunno. something about it tells me its not the amp for me. when i get the tone i want, in the background i get that noise that u get when u have your speakers too loud, like when it cant take the bass and volume or something like that. can my cab be fooked? anyways, ive rambled on farrrr too long, and now for the crucial part. whats gonna replace it. i was thinking about these -

ENGL fireball
framus cobra
mesa single rec.
(and any others you may suggest)

had i might as well keep the cab, as it would save a lot of money?

cheers for your help once again guys, much appreciated!
you must need ridiculous amounts of gain... or your cab is shot. i have a dsl 50, with a 2X12 cab, and i rarely even need to push down the ultra-gain button on my distortion channel. despite this, i still get nice pinch harmonics, and enough gain to fuzz out any note into a wall of sound...

but to each his own i guess... try a krankenstein, or mesa.
^ tried the krankenstein, didnt like it at all, mushy, horrible amps i must say. i find the mesa too flabby for some reason.

(listened to your band btw, very nice! )
^ yeah i'll see what i can do. i dunno what the feck im gonna do really, i cant afford to get a new amp, and im never gonna sell my dsl for a decent price, so im kinda stuck. the only thing i can think of is somehow by an act of god sell my dsl for a decent price, sell a few of my pedals and get the fireball.
what volume do you have the dsl at?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^anywhere from half to full tilt. so it cant be that. oh what i wouldnt give for a powerball, cobra or fireball or better still an SE right now.
^ ah, ok, fair enough. Maybe you just plain don't like the amp, which is fair enough.

What tones are you struggling to get?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try Diesels or Bognors. Then there's the old classic standby, the Mesa Boogie Daul Rectofier, which I still love.
^ problem is, each of those is about 2 grand over here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the mesa high gain tone....with tweaking, it isn't flabby at all....it took my 3 months to find a good tone in it though....Mesas are very difficult to EQ.

Problem, as you are in the UK, is that you will get raped by the price unless if you find a good used deal locally or on ebay....

Always hear good things about the Fireball and Cobra....never tried though.

Keep the cab....you just need a different head.
cheers guys for the help so far. appreciated well i spose im goig for that scooped kick your ass into the wall metal tone. thing is my band plays a mix of uber shreddyness and chugachugness. i spose im kinda going for shadows fall, arch enemy, killswitch kinda tone. thing is ive heard the cobras are raw and "dry", which is kinda apparent on the end of heartache album. its warm and fat and huge sounding im after. and a WICKED solo tone. and like dave mentioned, the price of mesas kill over here. oh and after tightness, but im after warmth and "wet" i spose is the word lol. i dunno how to explain. slightly scooped sounds good. argh. putting sound into words sucks
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ problem is, each of those is about 2 grand over here.

What, ENGL's aren't? Sorry, I'm not totally into high-gaim amps, I just like a few of them.
laney gh/vhs are pretty awesome and cheap in the uk too!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
just out of interest would any of you guys be able to gimme a fireball vs cobra comparison? cheers.
From what youre saying it sounds like your cab is either shot or it sucks... and honestly there is no way for your DSL to 'not have enough gain'. Marshall amps (the REAL ones) are a hit-and-miss deal anyways...maybe you just missed...
i just bought a dsl401 combo and i get all the gain i want outta it. plus its a limited edition blue one. quite the secks
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by MastaBassist10
What, ENGL's aren't? Sorry, I'm not totally into high-gaim amps, I just like a few of them.

nah, you can get a screamer or fireball for about £700 over here, while a dual recto is about £1700, the diezel vh4 or herbert is about £2000 (+), and Bogner don't even have a distributor over here. If they did, I'd expect them to be about £2000+ as well.

if you want the KSE tone, Engls do it pretty well (IMO). I haven't tried Cobras, I assume they do it well too. The laney vh100r is another one to look at.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ hmm. thanks for all your AMAZING help and input all of you, you guys are awesome. i think im gonna go with the fireball, ive found one on thomann for 620 squid free delivery!

(p.s that a good deal dave? and can i use it with the current cab i have?)
^ yeah, £620 sounds pretty good. I haven't tried the fireball, though. You should be able to use it with your current cab, if the impedances match up. That's a 4x12, right? and the wattage is over 60, right?

www.engl-amps.com - download the manual to see what impedances the fireball can be set to.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nah, you can get a screamer or fireball for about £700 over here, while a dual recto is about £1700, the diezel vh4 or herbert is about £2000 (+), and Bogner don't even have a distributor over here. If they did, I'd expect them to be about £2000+ as well.

if you want the KSE tone, Engls do it pretty well (IMO). I haven't tried Cobras, I assume they do it well too. The laney vh100r is another one to look at.

What's £700 over here? I think the exchange rate is pretty high.
hey guys erm..... well..... i sold my dsl and the cab for £985......

so now i need to start looking for a replacement.....................................

ive been looking at the laney vh100r, and the cab for it.
a fireball, and a cheaper cab i can find...... (any suggestions on a compatible cab?)

and any other suggestions?

remember im looking for tones like...

arch enemy,killswitch engage,bullet for my valentine, shadows fall, black label society, slayer, 36 crazyfists e.t.c.

ah god guys, sorry to bother you again, but any suggestions as to what i should do?

i really like the fireball and have heard awesome stuff about it, but if i cant get a suitable cab to do it justice then the laney i havent tried but heard good shizzle about. thanks once again
^ Man that's a good deal. Well done.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
haha cheers mate. i really wanna go for the fireball SO much, i know i wont regret it.

BUT i still need a cab thats under 355 quid to go with it. GAYNESS. would a laney cab be ok? anybody got any suggestions?
Where are you buying from? You can pretty easily get a cab for that price online. A marshall one if that's what you want: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=289 - £10 over.

I've also heard good things about Laney cabs, they're reasonably priced. The TT cab has Vintage 30s AFAIK.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
about the same in USD. about $1700.

yeah, but £1 = roughly almost $2. Since your currency sucks...

that's a joke.

Quote by MastaBassist10
What's £700 over here? I think the exchange rate is pretty high.

$1200-$1300, I'd guess.

Quote by GnRRockingaway
haha cheers mate. i really wanna go for the fireball SO much, i know i wont regret it.

BUT i still need a cab thats under 355 quid to go with it. GAYNESS. would a laney cab be ok? anybody got any suggestions?

I use a laney tt cab with my savage se, and it sounds pretty kickass. Slightly more "hard rock" than "metal" sounding though, but I suspect it'll be the best you can get for the cash, unless you can score an engl vintage cab (with vintage 30's) second hand or something.

And how did you get £985 for your DSL? You can get them for less than that new!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ me, my dumbass mate, and a few hours of noodling. and he loves the amp. ah he's rich as you know whatsit anyways. linky to the tt cab dave?
^ er... the place I got it from's website seems to have been down for ages...

there was another website that had it cheaper, but I can't remember the link. Someone posted it on here, but I can't remember who. You should be able to get it under budget though. Maybe try a google or yahoo search, with just "UK only" selected?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ well, that laney doesn't have vintage 30's, and the marshall is basically what you had...

I'd try to get a laney tt cab. the wembley guitar centre has them, but they're about £50 overpriced.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can afford the Cobra,then you could get a Powerball, but in all essence, the fireball is like a basic powerball. And you can get a decently un-flabby sound from a Dual Rectifier, just a good compressor and some time on the EQ.
is avatar a US only company? cause everyones always ranting about how good and cheap those are.

also, i was browsing through guitarworld and saw an ad for Basson Cabs. I havent heard anything about them, but they were 640$ on MF, which is about 300 pounds right?
EDIT: its the b412 cab, the one with Eminence Legends in it
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
ever think that maybe its your guitar. tone zones aren't exactly chugging pickups. i can get the tone you want outta mine and its a 40 watt combo. like i can get caliban level gain and tone. so maybe its your guitar.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
ever think that maybe its your guitar. tone zones aren't exactly chugging pickups. i can get the tone you want outta mine and its a 40 watt combo. like i can get caliban level gain and tone. so maybe its your guitar.

Good idea, I didn't even think of that.

Are you sure your tubes are all good?
Page 1 of 2