Hey!

Who doesnt love Morello's work? With his effects and the killswitch.
I was then wondering if the toggleswitch on the telecaster custom model could act as a killswitch? Something is just telling tell me that it doesnt work... But if you have tried it, I would be glad to know about it!
do you have 2 volume controls? then sure, you can do it, just set the volume of one pickup to 0 and toggle through both of them (loads of guitarists have done it, Jimmy page and Randy Rhodes for example)
Quote by seljer
do you have 2 volume controls? then sure, you can do it, just set the volume of one pickup to 0 and toggle through both of them (loads of guitarists have done it, Jimmy page and Randy Rhodes for example)

Yup, Randy did it on Crazy Train on Tribute.

But how can you forget Ace Frehley? That's probably the only thing, guitar-wise, that he's famous for.
Quote by Holy Katana
Yup, Randy did it on Crazy Train on Tribute.

But how can you forget Ace Frehley? That's probably the only thing, guitar-wise, that he's famous for.

I'm not a Kiss fan, I only know him for putting smoke bombs in the place of his pickups

Jimi Hendrix also mucked about with the switch a bit but he didn't have seperate volume controls
Quote by seljer
I'm not a Kiss fan, I only know him for putting smoke bombs in the place of his pickups

Jimi Hendrix also mucked about with the switch a bit but he didn't have seperate volume controls

I'm not a KISS fan, either.
wow, didn't know. Thanks!
Do you know if something can happen to the guitar if you use it too much? If I use the switch every day for instance.
Probably, but its just the switch that'll go unless you're really thrashing the thing.
ok guys just get a push pull volume pot and only wire it to have signal going through it when the pot is pushed down, thats what i'm going to do,
just use a push pull volume pot and only wire the bottom half to signal that way pulling it up will kill all sound.
add another miniswitch to do it (or a momentary pushbutton switch), it's hard to do the choppy tremolo effect with a push pull pot
Quote by sempri_fi
oops sorry double post, my bad

Bottom right corner of your post, use it.
These go to eleven...
Cool! How do you install the push pull volume pot? I haven't heard about that thing. Are you installing it by yourself?
I am afraid of doing something wrong, and ending up having trashed my guitar.. But if you have the experince..
You can't do anything bad, whatever you do it easilly fixable. A push-pull is a regular pot with a built in dpdt switch. No good for a killswitch IMO. If you want a simple on/off switch, use a mini toggle. But to use it for cool effects, use a momentary "push to make" switch - push it in and you signal dies, let go and it's alive again. Tap on it repeatedly and stuff like that, cool effects. So I reccomend a momentary push switch, like Jonny Greenwood or Buckethead (I think).

Edit: You could use a mini toggle for those effects, but I don't know about the lifespan of a switch being turned on and off repeatedly.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Edit: You could use a mini toggle for those effects, but I don't know about the lifespan of a switch being turned on and off repeatedly.

my ones been going good and I've messed with it quiet a bit...and I'm using a cheapo $1 one, I'm pretty sure they make better switches out there too.

but bucketheads red button is cooler: http://www.bingeandgrab.com/buckets_les_paul.html
nice!
But the tele has a 3way switch. Does it work If you switch between all the positions +the middle position?
Quote by seljer
my ones been going good and I've messed with it quiet a bit...and I'm using a cheapo $1 one, I'm pretty sure they make better switches out there too.

but bucketheads red button is cooler: http://www.bingeandgrab.com/buckets_les_paul.html

They got it wrong, a normally closed switch is one that's normally ON not off like they said.
Attachments:
untitled.GIF
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 3, 2006,
1) A normally closed button switch that's connected to the hot and the ground wires coming from the pickup - on press the pickup signal is instantly grounded hence the sound is "killed" whilst the button is pressed.

2) A normally open button switch that's put as a break along the hot wire (black, I think) to the output jack. On press the signal is open so no current will pass along hence sound is momentarily "killed."
Yeah, they got 1 and 2 mixed up.

A normally open "push to make" switch is used to ground the signal.
A normally closed "push to break" switch is used to "cut" the hot wire leading to the jack.
IMO, the first way, grounding the signal, is the best way.
These go to eleven...
The retards.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well if you're switching between all 3 doesnt that make an extra annoying noise from the middle pos.?
If you do what morello does, have two volumes...
Say your neck pickup is on 0, that's now the "Kill" position, but the bridge and middle positions on the switch will be exactly the same. So if you want you can leave it in the middle position, and go to the neck position to kill it. As long as the either the bridge or neck pickup is turned all the way down, you can have the switch in the middle position, get it?
These go to eleven...
yeah! I have actually thought about that, but something did just tell me it couldn't go. But I'll try it before I buy it

You know the track "Calm like a bomb" from RATM? There Tom does something different with his switch. Normally his switch is on/off. But on "calm like a bomb" he uses another guitar and it has the settings on/off/on. Then the tele could also act as a 3 way if you just have the middle position on 0.
To have the middle position of the switch have no sound, while the other positions still being on is impossible.
These go to eleven...
Also if you cut some wires or something?
Something has happen to my first Behringer guitar, it has a 5 way switch. It actually doesnt work in the middle section, because it's some cheap ****. But all the other positions work. But if I could figure out what happen to the Behringer, I could do the same to the new one, the Tele. Because I dont need the middle section.. understand?
Sorry man... I think I know what you mean.. but just be sure.
can you explain further?
Last edited by Morellolover at Jul 4, 2006,
yeah okay! But thats a bit complicated. But thank you for the drawing!

Isnt it impossible to have a on/off in the one horn on the guitar and a on/off/on on the other? It gets really messed up then..
^ i had it in one of my guitars, i didnt have a 3 way switch- just a 5- so i wired it up liek that, n just had to get used to it- i kidna liked it, but, meh- idk- calum gave me teh schem
Quote by eddiehimself
that's how it works
That isn't even possible with a standard 5-way.
These go to eleven...
I've tried the switch, but its hard to switch between the positions. I'm scared of breakin the damn thing. I was just wondering if it just were me or what?