ok i know the only way to become better at guitar is to practice. but what do i practice? do i just try to learn songs everytime? is there any excercises i should do? opinions please.
learn scales. some theory. also learn songs you like. practice different techniques. and trust me you will have enough to practice.
I just concentrate on learning songs I like.

When I came across a new trechnique I practised it until I was good at it.

Now I'm learning scales and all the modes, whilst practicing with a metronome to improve my speed.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
learning songs isn't really practice... scales and modes are good, but, as I've posted in another similar thread, try to keep practicing basic stuff, even just picking... every week, set aside 30 mins or so and just set ur metronome to a slow speed, and pick each string in turn (about 4 notes per string at low bpm). When you hit a speed you can't do, keep practicing at that speed. Then next week, start from the low speeds again. This'll help wonders with your picking speed. Helped me with my finger picking on bass, too
I play songs I know, and do excercises to work hammer-ons, pull-offs, and changing strings. Scales help too.
Play through some songs.
Improvise some scales.
Do speed techniques, and work on picking accuracy.
do chord changes, use triads with chords.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
What everyone has said is great ^ I do a lot of learning, specifically, different kinds of songs. Songs that involve different techniques, different picking/strumming styles, etc. If you're careful about which songs you pick, get enough variety and make sure you're learning to play a wide variety of stuff. That's really great practice.

Also make sure you're learning scales, and some specific practice on certain techniques is great too.

edit: btw, a good thing to help out your strumming hand is to choose a chord and try to come up with as many melodies and combinations of notes as possible while staying on said.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
http://www.365practicesessions.com/36520067/default.asp

this is a realy good site if you need some ideas for practice, it has a different set of lesson tabs every say. There's a warm up, left and right hand sync lesson, and then some random concept after that, like arpegios one day, and a mode the next etc.
"you hear people say, I don't care if people are black, white, green or purple. Ah come on now, green or purple? you've got to draw the line somewere" - Mitch Headburg.
Most beginers learning to play learn scales like prentatonic etc they occupy you for ages. But it seems most people just practice songs and write there own, just enjoy playing and dont worry about if u are playing what u are supposed 2 if it sounds good and your having a laugh doing it you are getting better
Quote by hooblatots
ok i know the only way to become better at guitar is to practice. but what do i practice? do i just try to learn songs everytime? is there any excercises i should do? opinions please.

Unfortunately, you haven't gotten any good answers so far. Fortunately there's
a site devoted entirely to correct practice: www.guitarprinciples.com
just play. and when you get bored, play some more. and keep doin that till your fingers either bleed and/or you are doing an amazing shred solo!

thats what I do.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm sorry, I don't agree with you. A lot of answers given (including mine... not biased:P) are valid and useful.

Well, yours may have been the best of the bunch. But, they also all miss the point.
It's not so much what you do, as how you do it. You could practice
scales 10 hours a day to a metronome and if you weren't focused on it in the
right way you would get the blood pumping to your fingers, but otherwise virtually
no benefit.

Most people don't realize practice itself is a skill. Probably the most important
skill you could learn. I can tell you from my own experience and what I see around
here, it's a skill most are pretty bad at it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, as long as you pay attention to what you are doing, instead of letting your mind wander whilst practicing, you should be fine... plus, if you follow stuff off websites religiously, then you aren't expanding the horizons...

If you follow the stuff on the website edg provided, believe me - your horizons will expand far beyond your belief.
Yeah, I wish I could follow it religiously . I'd probably be in better shape.
But, I DO try and follow most of it. And when I get off track, I go back and
reread it and go back to basics. I definitely notice I get better all the time and
it's always really clear what I need to practice. Practice really IS a skill!
I would honestly invest in guitar lessons. Trying it on your own works for a lot of people. It's good though, to have somone to help you figure out what you're doing wrong and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I would recommend a metronome as well to develop your sense of rythym. Get a good one that has a few options, like a BOSS Dr. Beat or equivalent. Start with some scales in as low of a tempo as you feel comfortable with and increase speed as you get better. Progress to playing two and even three notes in rythym per beat or click of the metronome. This should help with lead work. As for rythym guitar, I would practice chords progressions in varying strum patterns until your chord changes are smooth as silk. As others have stated, stay focused and eliminate as many distractions as you can.
The simple answer is to make sure that as you play your notes that they coincide with the beats of the metronome. In other words as you play a note, it should be in time with the beats of the metronome. Start some scale work somewhere around 50 beats or wherever you feel comfortable. Then speed up by five beat increments as you feel ready. This will help your rythym and coordination a lot.
on the guitar lessons point, try to find a guy that doesn't teach you songs. There's a lot of guys around around that'll happily charge you £20 an hour just to teach you Wonderwall, which isn't teaching you anything about how to play the instrument.
I totally agree with Deliriumbassist. Find one that teaches technique. There's nothing wrong with getting a little help with a difficult part of a song. Once you get the skills and technique down, learning songs will come right along. Most of all have fun with it!