Page 1 of 2
So yes I know there are already lots of threads posted about this theme but I would just like to know if someone knows some other technical bands besides Psyopus and DEP. So tell me do you like this kind of genre or not, and why?
Math......core?

What?

Wouldn't you be better off NOT making up genres, and just calling it progressive hardcore?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Math......core?

What?

Wouldn't you be better off NOT making up genres, and just calling it progressive hardcore?

So how do you call a mix of jazz, hardcore and death metal, do you just call it progressive. Yeah perhaps you are right never thought about it, always thought that the name mathcore existed.
Quote by SteveHouse
Math......core?

What?

it is a genre. i tend to not like it because it bores me because its so random. it just has not melody. although, yes i do like my DEP every once in a while. BTBAM is not really mathcore. if i were making up genres and calling what i want to call it, i would say BTBAM is progressive deathcore. sounds stupid, but if you think about it, it makes sense.
other notable bands in the genre are:

Into the Moat
Ion Dissonance
Botch (simplistic but still mathcore)
The Minor Times (same as Botch)
and a lot more, just cant think of them.
^Wow, I googled it and you appear to be right. Now, what is it?
Answers.com says: "Mathcore, also known as tech hardcore or chaotic hardcore, is a style of hardcore punk..."
Wikipedia says: "Mathcore...is a style of metalcore..."

:p I doubt if they think it's metal, they'll appreciate being called punk. (Other than that, the two articles are almost verbatim ).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Mathcore is pretty much Chaotic technical Hardcore with elements of Death Metal, Jazz and prog. The aim of the band is to be as musically technical as possible, varying time signatures, using blastbeats and dischords. Prime examples are Into the Moat, Ion Dissonance, The Dillinger Escape Plan.
I always thought it was the bands that wrote eveything out on paper before touching an instrument. I remember in my music history class we composed songs in a grid, we had no idea if the notes would match, but it is a form of music... Some parts sounded good other parts sounded horrible. That's what I thought Mathcore was, but from the looks of it I was way off.
Really, its just a dumb name, as progressive harcore would sound alot better. I dont like it either cause its just dumb music. Its just technical to be technical. Just a bunch of random ass noise. Terrible. I mean, you can still be techincal and make a decent song, but these bands haven't figured that out. And ya BTBAM I wouldnt call them mathcore, they have a few decent songs as well.
Yeah sometimes I ask myself where do you draw the line, when do you speak of a technical band and when do you speak of a grind band. Like for instense See you next tuesday would you say they are grind or maybe you think yeah there are also some technical parts in there?
Quote by SteveHouse
Math......core?

What?

wow, I think you might just win the UG annual TOOL award.
to everyone dissing mathcore in here, shut the hell up. there is melody. they're not being technical just to be technical. they're being technical because it's the music they like to play, retard. if you don't beleive it has melody, listen to death, i. by psyopus. the beggining is a highly melodic jazz solo, and at the end there is a crazy chromatic sounding (yet very melodic) guitar solo.

good bands?

the red chord is sorta mathcore, but they're more on the metalcore side than anything.
as the sun sets.
behold the actopus is pretty good, but they're intrumental. check out sensory amusia(song) for some awesome jazz breaks.
winslow is pretty good, very DEP like. check them out on myspace.
into the moat/ion dissonance/psyopus are always good starts.
robinson, although they're more grindcore than anything.
converge often comes up on the subject of mathcore, although i've never cared for them much.
the concubine, check them out on myspace as well.

also, if you're into the whole funky time signature thing, they're plenty of non-core bands that play in weird time signatures and have random changes and the such. some examples would be faraquet, don caballero and american football.

and to the guy who asked, see you next tuesday is pretty much grindcore.
i heart my 1963 epiphone olympic II.
the Rudy Banes Shutdown... a bit more mathrock and less mathcore but still really ****ing intense.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
So what is mathcore?

I'm too lazy to look and see if it has been discussed, so I'm sorry if It has.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
So what is mathcore?

I'm too lazy to look and see if it has been discussed, so I'm sorry if It has.

Then you obviously don't care enough to know?
the first step to revolution is conciousness,
so i won't stop screaming at you until this all makes sense.
Quote by metalcorist
wow, I think you might just win the UG annual TOOL award.

Yeah! You hear that, UG? I won a major award!

Even though I did rebuke my position a few posts later, but you must've not bothered to read that far.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Yeah! You hear that, UG? I won a major award!

Even though I did rebuke my position a few posts later, but you must've not bothered to read that far.

damn, you got me
Athiest and Cynic for teh good ****, even though theres no core involved.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
ok, the red chord, new fear before, into the moat, the number 12 looks like you, me and him call it us, between the buried and me, bled across miles, the bled maybe, the chariot, OLD every time i die (ex:last night in town), spitfire,

and HORSE the band call themselves nintendoxcore
it still hasnt much melody, so they all have a little jazz break, well hooray for them, that doesnt save their song. And to even suggest Converge has any talent is crazy. I guess odd time signatures can be cool, as long is it isnt chugga chugga riffs in diff. time signatures, for that is just boring as hell. And Red Chord is basically metalcore and death metal or "deathcore" as some people say.
did you just suggest converge has no talent?
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
www.myspace.com/lastchancetoreason

thats our local "mathcore" band
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss TR-2
Boss RV-3 (best pedal ever!)
Boss BF-3
Line 6 DL4
Peavy Delta Blues 2x10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
Honestly!?... Does it really matter how you classify a band? The idea of "math"core isn't very realistic and has nothing to do with their technical abilities. I can do math, but does that mean I can play guitar? ...This thread should be closed by now. They make music, You listen to it. Sounds good to me.
Quote by Sleepy_Hollow
it still hasnt much melody, so they all have a little jazz break, well hooray for them, that doesnt save their song. And to even suggest Converge has any talent is crazy. I guess odd time signatures can be cool, as long is it isnt chugga chugga riffs in diff. time signatures, for that is just boring as hell. And Red Chord is basically metalcore and death metal or "deathcore" as some people say.

converge no talent?

take that back you dirty man...
ha well I guess to each his own. I think they are god awful. Maybe I heard the wrong stuff, I just heard the songs on my friends computer. He calls them noisecore, and that seemed like a fitting name.
there is noisey converge...and technical, sweet, awesome converge....overall there is a lot of converge...you just have to listen
mathcore is a better name

cuz most bands named here aren't progressing anything
Quote by Sleepy_Hollow

hahahahahahahahahahahaha........you clearly have absolutley no idea what you are talking "I guess odd time signatures can be cool, as long is it isnt chugga chugga riffs in diff. time signatures, for that is just boring as hell"< in two sentance you manage to directly contradict yourself I think they let this guy out of rehab to early
SikTh - new album Death of a Dead Day is OUT NOW!!

Buy it, fools.
Member no. 13 of the Muse Idolisation Brotherhood. PM me to join, lowly mortal!
ya i kno I guess I did, let me explain, you can still do odd time signatures and changes without simply chugging on the E string. that is all
Quote by A Dark Symphony
True dat, Behold...The Arctopus are great.

damm I still can't find them! Are there any links?
Page 1 of 2