come up with your riffs/progressions for songs you're writing? I was just wondering how you guys come up with your stuff, do you just improv and see what sounds good, think up something in your head then try to put it out on guitar, take timings or progressions from songs then slightly alter them into your own song, or any other certain way? I'm just curious to see how all you guys on here write your material.
Quote by lou_dog69
the moral of the story is keep your jizz covered fingers out of virgins vaginas... HOLY CRAP that explains how mary was a virgin!!! the bible finally makes sense
i generally just play around and see what happens. Most people will have their own style/preferences, some will plan out chords wheras some will instinctively feel where to go. Some will "write" solos, while others will just play them.

personally, i write in 6/8 / 3/4 a lot. dunno why, it just happens.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
ill just start playin random progressions and go with what sounds good
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
I just think of a really bad ass riff and try and figure it out on guitar, usually banging my head to an imaginary beat and come up with the riff off of that.
The first thing I do is post in the right forum.
Then pretty much just mess around until something awesome comes out.
Edit: What the guy above me said. That's really what happens, I'd forgotten the lyrics part.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I just, play really.
Then i'll hear something i like, and expand on it, find other things that fit, and just go from there.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Almost all of my bands songs have come from jamming. Our drummer is very good and very technical, so me and the other guitarist free form off the drums.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
I usually come up with a cool subject to write about first, then try to find the feel that it needs.
</IMO>
Quote by ToolBass_dude
personally, i write in 6/8 / 3/4 a lot.
As do I.

I usually begin on my acoustic, play around with random chords, then carry it to electric. I work my solos around the chords I've got written; I just record the progression, hit 'repeat', and jam with it until I find something I like.

I've usually got lyrics sitting around that I've written that fit with the song, or I'll have something on the brain that fits with the feel of the song.
Theres no method. For all I know, I could be taking a crap or having a shower when a sweet riff strikes me.

And it's always a bastard when you forget it by the time you get to your guitar.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
i just mess around till something happens, then i try to turn whatever that is into a song, thats why i have a lot of unfinished things, lol, i also sometimes look to songs for ideas, like if i know what i want, but cant seem to get it, but i generally never care for the time signature untill im actually writing down, i just close the door crank it to 11 (on my crate 30-watt) lol, and jam, very sophisticated, i know, lol
I usually just play around and if I find a particular progression that I like I work on it. Sometimes, though, I do consciously try to get a particular sound (e.g. metal, melodic etc.)
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

mhm so alot of you guys do what i do, just mess around and go with what feels right, one thing though that i'm not that great of is going from clean intros to distorted riffs, any suggestions? and does it happen to any of you guys where you write this awesome riff and then you find out that its already in a song and you get really pissed off? lol
Quote by lou_dog69
the moral of the story is keep your jizz covered fingers out of virgins vaginas... HOLY CRAP that explains how mary was a virgin!!! the bible finally makes sense
It depends, sometimes ill just be fooling around, and ill come up with a riff that I like alot and then make more that fit with it.

And sometimes ill just play some random thing and work with it and build on it until it sounds good.
I mess around, not even considering time signatures/scales/modes/etc., and just wait until I start playing something catchy.

Then I incorporate the time/key/etc., and make the riff as good as possible. I repeat it until Iahve a bunch of riffs, and then I find ways to make them flow into one another to create entire songs.

I'm not a very good solo writer...most of my solos are just ascending/descending scales in one way or another with a few change-ups here and there.

And it's always a bastard when you forget it by the time you get to your guitar.

Grah! That's the worst. I always come up with things at the worst of times too(work for example)....

Even though most of the time I usually picture things in my head before I put them on guitar, I sometimes get interesting stuff just fooling around.
Quote by guitar?

BTW do not say n-i-g-g-e-r. I know some one who said lets go buy some snickers and some black guy punched him in the face.
Usually when I come up with a great riff and write it down and then play it on guitar, it strikes me a couple of hours later that I've heard it before and basically stole it from some band I listen to. dammit.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
I start off trying different intervals after each other in a given key, the when I pick the progression I want to use I start to build the chords. When that's done I'll write the bass, other guitars, various other accents, percussion etc.

If you want to make writing easier start learning theory.
I just play. When I make songs with my band we do alot of stuff just on the spot. But ya I make songs before I record them sometimes.