Page 1 of 2
Well, i really don't know if I'm at the right level, what the hell am I supposed to know (tecniques and bands) and be able to play after 10 months? Am i supposed t have alternatoive picking mastered yet? What about fast songs? Am i supposed to be alreday able to play them? Or i still gotta practice a few years/months more?
I am not going to say what i can play because i just wanna know if im at the right level.
What were you playing today?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
just go at your own pace, if you feel comfortable with what your playin thats what matters
Just practise your alternate picking cos goin by your statement you dont seem confortable with it as it will really help your playing, IM me if you want any licks or runs which helped me with alternate picking
Ibanez SAS32
Yamaha ERG121
Marshal 10CD
Zoom GFX1
Line 6 echo park
Line 6 uber metal
well ive been playing for four months and can pretty much play anything from the rhcp... and ive been able to master a few of clapton's hits... so im guessing you should be better than me
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
It doesn't really matter about how long and how great...
As long as you see progress in yourself and your still enjoying yourself when you play, you're fine.
Indigo,
Indigoing,
Indigone.
What a stupid ****ing question. Play what you want, how you want, don't let anyone tell you what you can't do; nothing's impossible 'til you've failed to do it.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
.......Because I'm impatient, whatever you were playing today is what you're supposed to be playin at 10 months. It doesn't matter if you were playing a Green Day song or one of Vai's songs. It's where YOU'RE at. It doesn't matter where everyone else is.

Focus on your playing, not other people's playing. If you focus too much on other people's playing skill level, you'll stop having fun.

Here's an example of that.

About a month ago there was a guy who posted here. He posted how he was so mad that his band's new lead guitarist was so much better than he was. It made him so mad that he wasn't that good that he was actually thinking of throwing out his Fender Strat and his amp and giving up guitar. He said all he could think about whenever he looked at the guitar was how this new guitarist was so much better than he was.

I haven't seen him post here since that thread that he made. I assume that he quit playing guitar because of his envy of the other player. Lots of the regular UGer's (including myself) tried to tell him what I'm telling you right now. It doesn't matter what skill level someone else is. Focus on your skill and let other people focus on theirs.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Just do wat i did.....play simple little songs that hav like two chords in the whole song....like wild thing from the kinks :P
Wild Thing has 3 chords and it's not by The Kinks
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
look, it's not what you can or can't play. It's about what you are able to write and if it sounds good.... Flght of the Bumblebee being the benchmark.... j/k:P But seriously, there's no such thing as a bad guitarist at 10 months, or at any time frame... unless u've been playing for 4 years and just use powerchords
I used to be really into asking others how far i'd come compared to where they were at, playingwise. Then i learned a solo which i felt pretty much completed my skills as far as technical ability is concerned. Speed i mean. I became as fast as i wanted to be, but there's always new things to learn of course.

Take things at your own pace, and just have fun, and you'll get where you want to be eventually. I'd say guitar is more about creativety than anything else.
Quote by Xenn99
.......Because I'm impatient, whatever you were playing today is what you're supposed to be playin at 10 months. It doesn't matter if you were playing a Green Day song or one of Vai's songs. It's where YOU'RE at. It doesn't matter where everyone else is.

Focus on your playing, not other people's playing. If you focus too much on other people's playing skill level, you'll stop having fun.

About a month ago there was a guy who posted here. He posted how he was so mad that his band's new lead guitarist was so much better than he was. It made him so mad that he wasn't that good that he was actually thinking of throwing out his Fender Strat and his amp and giving up guitar. He said all he could think about whenever he looked at the guitar was how this new guitarist was so much better than he was.

I haven't seen him post here since that thread that he made. I assume that he quit playing guitar because of his envy of the other player. Lots of the regular UGer's (including myself) tried to tell him what I'm telling you right now. It doesn't matter what skill level someone else is. Focus on your skill and let other people focus on theirs.

Heh, that's really good advice. I'll try focusing on my skill.
But anyways, my goal is to be able to play decently, maybe not shredding like buckethead and ****, i want to play at a bit lower level than him, i want to be able to shred, i think i needto practice on harder songs, anyways can anyone recomend me a low level of shredding song or solo? I want to be able to play those kinds of stuff to be able to play almost everything.
I know it takes years to learn every skill, but ok.
You're not supposed to be playing anything.

You should be having fun and working towards goals you have set for yourself.

Don't compare yourself, it's not constructive.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
look, it's not what you can or can't play. It's about what you are able to write and if it sounds good.... Flght of the Bumblebee being the benchmark.... j/k:P But seriously, there's no such thing as a bad guitarist at 10 months, or at any time frame... unless u've been playing for 4 years and just use powerchords

Johnny Rmaone did that, then again he said he wasn't a good guitarist.

Ive playing for about 11 months now. I know that there are guys that are better than me, but i often try to let them hear what im good at. I can't solo to good (barely at all) but i love playing chords and just feel more cofortable playing rythm. Its more important how good you are and not how good you should be.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
We can't tell you. Everyone learns at a different pace. Some kids at 10 months can play a G chord, some can do six string sweeps.
thats funny i kind of understand your question, ive been playing for about a month and a half and was worried about how much i was progressing, so i stopped worrying about it and im having much more fun and feel like im doing much better
Quote by Xenn99

That's sound advice, as always from you Xenn99. In the few months I've seen you posting here I have NEVER seen you bull**** anyone, you take everyone under your wing and try to help them the best you can, and there aint many UGers that do that. You are possibly one of the nicest people on UG and a fountain of knowledge. And, you know how to point out people that are wrong, you either point this out nicely or pwn them completely. Kudos to you for being a great Uger

/ass-licking
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
That's sound advice, as always from you Xenn99. In the few months I've seen you posting here I have NEVER seen you bull**** anyone, you take everyone under your wing and try to help them the best you can, and there aint many UGers that do that. You are possibly one of the nicest people on UG and a fountain of knowledge. And, you know how to point out people that are wrong, you either point this out nicely or pwn them completely. Kudos to you for being a great Uger

/ass-licking

That is by far the nicest thing anyone here on UG has ever said to me. Ever.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by latinosuperstud
well ive been playing for four months and can pretty much play anything from the rhcp... and ive been able to master a few of clapton's hits... so im guessing you should be better than me

I'm sorry, nobody at that amount of time can 'master' clapton.
i know its hard to not compare yourself to other players, but we all are better or worse in different things. just focus on your playing and things will work out.
people go at their own pace so no one can tell you how well you should be playing. For example, Ive been playing for less than 2 years and im 10 times better than my friend whos been playing for more than 3. but i also had a wierd jump. the first year i played i played green day and stuff like that. and since i reached a certain point i started playing stuff by metallica, ozzy, ron jarzombek, so what im trying to say is people progress differently.
Go get your shovel.
Last edited by SynGates7X at Jul 2, 2006,
Quote by SkullGuitar
Heh, that's really good advice. I'll try focusing on my skill.
But anyways, my goal is to be able to play decently, maybe not shredding like buckethead and ****, i want to play at a bit lower level than him, i want to be able to shred, i think i needto practice on harder songs, anyways can anyone recomend me a low level of shredding song or solo? I want to be able to play those kinds of stuff to be able to play almost everything.
I know it takes years to learn every skill, but ok.

I started learning Lamb of God songs to push myself away from just drop-d powerchords in my Hardcore band. They will push you a little bit and they are really fun to play.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Wild Thing has 3 chords and it's not by The Kinks

Well then they did a remake of it...
Quote by Xenn99

Strongly agreed.
man these aren't helpful answers at all. do you really think he started this thread so everyone could tell him that everyone goes at their own pace? someone please give this guy some benchmarks or hes not gonna be motivated at all. hes just gonna think that hes at the right place no matter how slow or fast he advances. and with that motivation hell probably start losing pace in his learning, and wont learn and practice enough. i mean, just think if this WAS a race.. hes gonna be losing in no time! you cant just go through life saying "well im comfortable where im at, im not any better than i was five years ago, but im comfortable" or you'll all turn into a bunch of democrats! and we all know this country does not need any more democrats.
thats absolutley not what they said. your not supposed to be in the same place you were five years ago. if someone stayed the same way for five years then thats not good. its just that its hard to compare yourself and say where you should be because of the fact that everyone is different. you want benchmarks? try after your first year to be able to do mild soloing at least. if you can do more advanced stuff then good, do it. just dont think that you need to be as good as someone else to feel good about yourself as a player.
Go get your shovel.
Xenn:

Although weve had our **** in the past, that was very sound advice. And for that, I tip my hat to you.
^Glen'sHeroicAct, you're a f*cking idiot. You're missing the ENTIRE premise of guitar, instruments, and music in general.
People play, listen to, and admire music for ENJOYMENT. The fact is that music is NOT, and NEVER will be a race. It is 100% absolute FACT that everyone learns at their own pace. Everyone learns differently, everyone plays WHAT they learn differently, and everyone enjoys what they're playing differently.

There aren't "benchmarks" in learning. What is a huge accomplishment for one person may be incredibly easy for another. It's impossible to say "Oh, if you learn X song you've hit a benchmark" because people will learn DIFFERENTLY.

If someone is 100% comfortable with they're playing ability, I'm 100% happy for them. Why? Because they are HAPPY. They feel good about their skill, enjoy playing and aren't looking at this how you are.

You DO see guitar as a race or a contest. Otherwise you wouldn't have made a post like that. It's simple psychology. You see guitar as a race to be as good as you can as fast as you can, but you don't stop at all in your "race" just to sit and enjoy the music.

If someone is happy playing powerchord songs and ENJOYS playing, I'm happy for them. At least they're playing music that they're enjoying. That is what guitar and music is about. Playing, listening to, and admiring music that you enjoy. That's it. There is no training regiment, no minimum skill level, and DEFINETLY no race.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
man these aren't helpful answers at all. do you really think he started this thread so everyone could tell him that everyone goes at their own pace? someone please give this guy some benchmarks or hes not gonna be motivated at all. hes just gonna think that hes at the right place no matter how slow or fast he advances. and with that motivation hell probably start losing pace in his learning, and wont learn and practice enough. i mean, just think if this WAS a race.. hes gonna be losing in no time! you cant just go through life saying "well im comfortable where im at, im not any better than i was five years ago, but im comfortable" or you'll all turn into a bunch of democrats! and we all know this country does not need any more democrats.

First off... not everybody needs to be pushed by others to succeed. While some find that they preform better when the pressure is on, many feel the exact opposite of that! Also, what race? Life is not a race... thats why our society is as messed up as it is... everybody clawing over each other to get to the top of the heap.. and what do you have when your the best? What have you gained? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Oh and as to your comment about democrats.. its republicans who are ruining our country, making everybody else in the world hate us, and killing our soldiers in Iraq. Its republicans who listen in on our telephone conversations! Its republicans who allow the destruction of our environment! If you think that more of the same is gonna help the country, then you are as foolish in your political sensiblilities as in your perception of guitar playing.
me and my friend have been playing for about the same amount of time and we kind of have a "silent" competition about it and it pushes me to get better and i have fun at it too. U should try to push yourself hard at it and have fun at it the same time. But just for the heck of it, playing a metallica song pretty good at ten months seems good to me

if this pisses anybody off, o well
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 3, 2006,
^^ yes. i find i have the most fun when i push myself. it really gets you going to try to achieve.and you cant beat that feeling of accomplishment you get after you've nailed something you've been trying so hard to do.
Go get your shovel.
To the threadstarter: How many hours a day do you practice? What do you practice? When do you practice? Do you do play exercizes? Do you study classical theory? Can you read sheet music? Do you practice with a metrenome? Do you practice proper technique? Do you play classically? Do you warm up before playing? Do you practice "advanced" techniques? These will tell me how good you can be. I can tell you what you're doing wrong, things to practice, how to improve, and suggest something that is a little above your level so you have something to work towards.
Quote by Xenn99

Xenn, now even i think your cool
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ok so um yeah all the people who said go at your own pace and everything are compeletly right.
but just to give like a few examples of what i was playing at around that time.

master of puppets spider riff and first solo and clean bit
sweet child o mine start and bits of the solo
any thing with simple powerchord stuff
start of classical gas.

and shizz around their, im not saying i could play the parts of those songs perfectly but i was trying to learn them.

but yeah man go at your own pace, i started thinking like that and i got way better so fast cause my own pace was pushing me to get better.
Page 1 of 2