Ive read in many magazines,books and articles and Ive been told to preactice what you like and what you will use. I read in an Yngwie interview that he never practiced jazz or fusion because he never liked it and would never use it. I understand that but heres the things: Im afraid of looking like a total fool. For example: I dont really practice fusion because i dont really like it but lets say im hanging out with some muscians and the say " lets do a fususion jam" i dont wanna like like a total asshole asn say'' i never practiced fusion'' cuz theyll think im a bad guitarist. what should i do????
Try to learn a bit of different style's but all in all learn what you want to play, if you're playing metal odds are you won't be hanging out with many guitarists that want to play a fusion jam.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Yngwie is BULL****TING you all unless he sold his soul.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
buy a tampon?

well obviously you know what you need to do if u "dont want to look like a fool" then practice lots of genres
A lot of genres will overlap and help you out alot in playing otherstyles. Example: a lot of metal and classic rock solos are based on blues playing(scales, licks,etc).
agreed.

but i feel that when you improvise and experiment with different scales, you can get away with just about anything in that kind of situation (a jam session).
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Well, if you just learn the notes and how they fit together--scales, modes, chords--as well as basic technique and theroy, the only thing that serperates the music is the energy and phasing. All western music is is 7 notes.
This thread has inspired me to start learning/practicing some jazz. Thanks.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Quote by xsynysterx06
agreed.

but i feel that when you improvise and experiment with different scales, you can get away with just about anything in that kind of situation (a jam session).

yeah... whenever im afraid of some dude goin "hey you! whitey! play me some blues!" ill just do a bluesy pentatonic scale in the key of, say.... C... . or wheneva some honkey pulls up ands like "yo! play me some dat rock 'n roll!" i just burst into some voodoo child.....

its alllll about the scales....
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"