Poll: Which vintage amp to buy of rbay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which vintage amp to buy of rbay?
Marshall JCM800
2 13%
Marshall JCM900
3 19%
Fender Bassman
8 50%
Fender Blackface
1 6%
Other
2 13%
Voters: 16.
Hey guys. Im thinking about getting a vintage amp off of ebay. It must be tube. I was thinking about a nice Fender Bassman/Blackface, a Marshall JCM800/900, or maybe something else. Its hard to know if the amp would work well though so I dont know how I would make sure of that. I dont want the price to be too high though. It can be a head or a combo, but I think I would prefer the head. Anyone have any suggestions on making sure the amp would be fine, what amp would be good to get, or anything else? Im thinking about this because theres a lot of nice vintage amps on ebay that are only $300-500 and it seems like they would be a great deal.

Thanks
what style do you play?
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
I play classic rock, hard rock, blues rock, some shred, and some metal but thats not a main part. I like to play Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and sometimes I like to try to shred and play like Yngwie/Vai.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I play classic rock, hard rock, blues rock, some shred, and some metal but thats not a main part. I like to play Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and sometimes I like to try to shred and play like Yngwie/Vai.

hmm...well for the classic rock, the marshall's would be great. but for metal and shred, there MAY not be enough gain. i dunno tough choice, but each amp will prolly sound great.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Like I said, the shred and metal wont be a problem. I have an OD pedal and can always build others if I need more gain. Marshalls would be great for classic rock.
well, if you have an OD pedal, i'm voting the jcm800. those things are the **** for classic rock
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Depends on your definition of classic rock. Page used a Plexi, Zakk Wylde uses JCM800's.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Molsons Golden
Depends on your definition of classic rock. Page used a Plexi, Zakk Wylde uses JCM800's.

they also both use les paul, though one has emg's... and page modded his plezi for more volume, i think
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
The only thing is, I dont think the Plexi has enough gain for me. Its more of a clean amp unless you crank it, because it doesnt have a preamp volume, or gain control.
If you want to buy a classic vintage amp you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

But I would still choose Plexi, I already have two modded Fendar amps. My second choice would be the 800, but I am answering on trying to fill out my personal needs.

My first chioce for an amp to play would be a boutique over vintage. If you want to invest well...

Catch what I'm shoveling?

Edit: If you push it with a top quality overdrive it'll have enough gain. Invest in a Lovepedal Eternity overdrive.

Edit 2X: Jake E Lee used a Plexi with just an overdrive on "Bark at the Moon" and that sounds pretty heavy to me.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at Jul 2, 2006,
^ I know, most of the time I only vote and don't bother to post my opinion on yet another overdone thread.

But you have some solid choices to choose from and an explanation is almost required.
Try the amps first, don't just buy blindly because you want a "vintage" amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^woot! i agree. just because you have this amp and this guitar because they are old and famous bands used them doens't mean you'll like it. i wouldn't like a bassman.
oh and R_H_C_P i ordered a russian muff.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^Wehey! I was playing with mine yesterday, niiiice.

I'd say either a Marshall JTM or Plexi or JCM800, or a Fender Bassman, but go to a shop and try a load of amps out before you bid on eBay.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Just so you know, a "Blackface" isn't a model of an amp. Any Fender amps with a black faceplate is a Blackface. There are tweed Bassmen, Blackface Bassmen, and Silverface Bassmen.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
its just sounds funny when you say Bassmen. Tee Hee. Hee Hee.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Don't murder me for this, but in my experience of trying many 800's, they sound crap before they are deafeningly loud. I wouldn't get one unless I had a separate practice amp.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Haha thanks Pink Queen. I didnt know that but now I do. I have tried the JCM2000, the Plexi, and the Bassman. I think the Bassman was too clean and I think I am wanting a more overdriven amp. I love the JCM2000, but its a little to modern for me, so I think the JCM800/900 would be great because they are more classic, and have some overdrive in them. The Plexi I tried, didnt have a preamp volume, or gain, so it had to be cranked to get overdrive, which I actually did when I first plugged in to it. 100watts tube, 4x12 half stack, dimed, blast to my face for a second before I turned it off.
I think I will be getting one of these amps around September, because thats when my birthday is and I will get money then. I might get it earlier, but I dont want my parents to think that I am going to keep going out and spending money. My dad saw the pictures of Pink Queens vintage amp blown, and he said that maybe, since we are building pedals, we can get a vintage amp and if it doesnt work, fix it up. So if he offers the idea again that we can do that, I will buy it sooner. The amps on ebay work, but if in a few weeks or months after, if it doesnt work, we may be able to fix it, or bring it into a professonal.