I'm looking to start modding this guitar right away, and the stock pickups are obviously not something to brag about. I would like some knowledgable UGers to give me some insight on which pickups to use. I generally play a lot of Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal. Typically speaking, when I pick up my guitar, I tend to play a lot of Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and a lot of guitar virtuoso things like Racer X, Steve Vai etc. I am looking to continue on with these, and need some pickups that can cover both clean and distortion nicely. What do you suggest?

Please only post if you know what you are talking about and are prepared to back your suggestions up.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Wow, thanks for doing exactly what I said not to do. Go kill yourself.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
EMG's.
They have some that are really nice for soft tones, and some that can mix inbetween, so that could be a good choice.
Theres the EMG 80/81 setup that is really good for distortion sounds, and you could buy just an 80 and swap the 81 with another EMG and it could cover clean tones nicely too.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Well hopefully this will suffice as an answer, but I am a big EMG fan and so is Metallica.
If you want a Metallica sound you could put 81's in both slots for a Kirk Hammett sound, or go with the 60 in the neck to give you a James Hetfield sound. The 81/60 set up is James set up of choice and I've tried it myself and it really does let loose some killer tone for Metallica.

On my guitar I have the ZW set: 85 in neck, 81 in bridge. The 85 has a lot of bass to it and the 81 is great for those higher frequencies. I love actually soloing on the 85 on the neck (also virtuoso type stuff) because it minimizes a lot of sound/feedback and the clarity of it when playing you know 24th notes is amazing.

I'd seriously consider EMG's as I think they are versatile enough to cover many genres and are perfect for some of the one's you named.

Live life stronger than death.
Zakk Wylde

True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.
Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
Swinesheads... They're made in UK, handmade that is. They're supposed to be great for the price, i'm probably ordering 2 of them for my next guitar. You especially should check their website, the soundclips were all recorded by Jon on an epiphone les paul standard (like yours), and they sound just awesome.
Or, if you're willing to spend more try bareknuncles that are supposed to be even better, but i dont know much, their website kinda sucks.

If you're wanting a closer tone to your guitar heroes, well, slash uses duncans and kirk uses EMGs (81 and 85 i think). I think jimmy page has just stock pickups on his les paul, theres a celebrity rig about him on the forum, there are probably more info there.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

^ Thank you, these are the kind of posts I was looking for, anyone else have some suggestions?

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Just to add to my previous post, and to correct Calvero on one small point, Kirk does in fact use two 81's. Also, EMG's are in the range of ~200, a bit pricier but in my opinion worth it. Not to mention, as proof, Zakk Wylde uses EMG's in a Les Paul (yah a Gibson, but I really don't believe that makes a huge difference) and they sound terrific and mine sound just as well. Very dependable and killer tone.

Live life stronger than death.
Zakk Wylde

True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.
Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
have you thought of seymore duncan pearly gates pickup. they come nicle and gold plated. good for blues clasicc rock and metal, modeled after the pickups from a 1959 les paul bright top end and great for harmonics
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
I would say if you want something versatile go for Seymor Duncans.. You can get some sick sounds from EMG's and other active pickups but if you are wanting more of a clean true pickup sound I would say go for what I'm going to upgrade to..

SH-2's and SH-4's by Seymor Duncan..My friend showed me there the other day... and they arebought for a rather cheap price..

The SH-2 jazz pickups has nice cleans and the SH-4 Jb delivers with nice gain and effects. I can't go into too much depth about them but if you would care to hear them go to their site and give em' a listen

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckers.shtml

... if you want more of a metal sound go for these..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-LWHMETS-LiveWire-Metal-Pickup-Set?sku=300266

These should be alright for a nice price.
You say you play rock and metal? I would have to recommend the Tremonti Bass and Treble pickups from Paul Reed Smith. These pickups are excellent. I've played an Epiphone G-400 with these in it through a Marshall MG 30 or 50, and it sounded really good. I play everything from Alter Bridge / Creed, Nickelback, and Staind, to Rascal Flatts, Johnny Cash, Third Day, and Chris Tomlin. These pickups sound great on o/d as wells as clean. I say these pickups are great for hard riffs, shredding, classical, and fingerpicking of most or possibly all styles (save for flamenco). This is my opinion. Like everyone, our tastes are more than likely entirely different. Anyway, good luck.
Um i have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard and i put a 57' classic plus in the bridge and a 57 classic regular in the neck and it sounds so much better sorry if im not specific but ummm i got an epi and i put better pickups in and it songs great so there you have it............ now only if i can fix all this damn fret buzz..
creamsoda pm me if ur having a buzz problem.

and threadstarter, what crawled up ur ass and died? how about u relax wt the attitude.

pearly gates, would be my choice, but because im knowledgable im going to ask if this is being played thru an mg.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Creamsoda, try adjusting your action. Also what kind of music do you play? Can it cover clean as well as big distortion? And what amp do you play it through?

I didn't mean to wig out on the guy, but I was very specific in saying I didn't want someone to say: oo seymour duncon good ooo
I wanted some real answers.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!

anyway check out pearly gates if u like a hard rock kick and good cleans.
im sure emgs are fine for some guys, never been my thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well I'll let you know on Staurday how the Jazz (neck) and JB (bridge) work out as they are being nistalled right now
^ Back up your reply..

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB: