Aight, I watched this vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WrAA-MPDJM0&search=satriani%20guitar%20lesson

Satch is improvising with modes right, and At first I'm thinking he is just changing around modes in the same key and showing the different sounds, but at the end he says that he changed the key several times in the song, but I dont get how, because before every mode change he would say "E lydian, E Myxolydian, E harmonic minor, etc etc". It would have helped if the vid wouldn't have stopped right before he explained what he was up to.

So whats the deal? I'm a total mode n00b, I just started learning about them a couple days ago.
Modes are bascially inversions of the major scale. There are seven of them. If the major scale is C, then the modes start on the following notes

Ionian (aka major scale). starts on C
Dorian. starts on D
Phrygian. Starts on E
Lydian. Starts on F
Mixolydian. Starts on G
Aeolian. Starts on A
Locrian. Starts on B

Sorry if this didnt make any sense
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
E myxolydian and E harmonic minor are differetn keys.

The key is E lydian or whatever, not just E.

Hope that makes sense
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Like frenchy said.
E mixolydian and E Aeolian for instance arent the same.

Mixolydian uses the the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1
whereas
Aeolian uses the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b6 1

Therefore, if you were to play the E Mixolydian mode, you would be playing these notes:
E F# G# A B C# D E

And if you were to play the E Aeolian mode, you would be playing the notes:
E F# G A B C D E
Been away, am back