i had a thought for an interesting line of discussion/potential project.

lately, i've gotten into a few bands that are very video game-y. some that play actual video game music, like the Advantage and the Black Mages, and some that just seem to be influenced by the style, like Dragonforce.

so anyway, here's the first part:

how can one, for as little money as possible, make a guitar sound as synth-like as possible? obviously, very clean, fast alternate picking and fingerwork are a must, but speaking more in terms of hardware. everything's game, from string gauge up to amplifier, and everything in between.

and please, nobody say "LINE6 SPYDER TOO LOLZ" or any such crock. if you have an amp to reference, feel free. but please don't use this as an opportunity to bash solid state or modeling amps.

a secondary part to this question is that i'm interested in putting together some sort of project to play covers of video game music. i know, it's unoriginal, but i have a good time playing the stuff by myself, and putting together an actual set of songs online would be even more fun, i think.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
two words for you:
envelope filter. or change the settings on your wah. use it as a filter, and maybe use a compresser after that.
have you got a multi fx? cos i find fiddling with settings can sometimes be quite productive, you know finding 'ambient' tones.

experiment
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
note: the following technique works almost exclusively with chords.

first, fret a chord. then, hit the strings lightly with your thumb right where it connects to your bridge. works best with bass turned way up
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
Line 6 FM-4 Filter modeler.
Look it up before you flame me.
EH Microsynth, HOG, POG, anything in their synthesizer category
Ermm...
Maybe try Roland's synths.
Without effects, try experimenting with tone and other filter related items, like your amps EQ or something.
What FX do you have at the moment?
Quote by DispsablePuppet
drill a hole in the side of your guitar, and make sweet love to the beautiful instrument. twice.

I dig the pretty colors in your eyes.
Like others have said, you want a really filtered sound. Try and EQ pedal to get rid of the lowest and highest frequencies (old video games had low bit rates so they couldn't produce very low or high frequencies), or use the neck pickup with the tone rolled down. Lots of compression and some fuzz can really help as well. As for tecniques, tapping/legato can really help smooth the notes out and make them a bit more synthy. I think a couple of companies make some pedals to produce really processed sounds, try http://www.frostwave.com/index.html , bit expensive though!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile