Hey guys, been a while since I've asked for advice here. I have decided to hold off on buying a new guitar for a while and am looking for a nice shiny new humbucker...Right now I have an Ibanez GRX40 (came in a pack) and want to replace the humbucker and get more of an Avenged Sevenfold tone. Passive only please, oh yeah, the guitar is made of alder if that is any help to you. Thanks alot guys
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Erm. Avenged Sevenfold. Its all in the amp, seriously. Their guitar setup is very very schittastic.

Get a new amp, even a Roland Cube or something (would be about as expensive as the humbucker itself)
yeah i think you should replace the ibanez amp too... buy a roland cube like timmypage is suggesting
why dont you get an effector(stomp box)? i dont know much about avenged sevenfold, but I think a metallish tone is what youre looking for.
http://www.shop.com/op/~BEHRINGER_UM100_ULTRA_METAL_EFFECTS_PEDAL-prod-26699446-35289943?sourceid=298

but if you really want to change the pickups, i wouldnt replace it with a $70~ pickup, because the guitar itself isnt that good. try looking at these:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhublbrp.html
or find one here http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
i love the same band...and i found their tone with my Boss Metal Zone and Ampeg bass amp, with stock pickups in my schecter c1 elite.
i know synyster gates uses an SD invader, but dont get it unless you can run it through a really nice amp, and still...nvm, just dont get it.

now, they may sound good, due to the $5000 amps, but the invaders arent really great. the amps are great.

you, in my opinion, should actually get a bass amp, and a distortion pedal.
sounds pretty dumb huh?
i have an ampeg amp, it has 5 different styles of compression and gain i believe, but its all clean tones. it just boosts it in different places, for instance, setting 3 has more mids than setting 2.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
^uh, bass amp?? i think youll just blow the speakers if you plug a guitar into a bass amp...
oh and if you want invaders but dont have the money, try this:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfscrourhoov.html

it wouldnt be worth putting an $80 pickup into a begginer guitar. the GFS pickup will probably suit you well, and get a distortion pedal
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
If you have a cheap guitar and cheap amp (I also started with an Ibanez starter pack), dont bother upgrading your pickups, and DONT commit the mistake of buying a bunch of distortion pedals (especially not the ones with 'metal' in them) while thinking you'll get a great (A7X) tone.. They use Bogner Uberschalls - $5000 amps - to get 99% of their tone.. So yes, buy a new amp first .. If you're on a budget, a Roland Cube is indeed a great idea.. Also look into the Vox Valvetronix series, ive heard good things about them.. But they arent as 'metal' as the Rolands I think..

Hope i helped
Well I have gotten a new amp and I love it..it may not be the best, but i can definatly get the crunch im looking for from it, but my guitar just seems like its un-able to provide it. i have a Crate XT65R w/ DSP

EDIT: Also, I have a distortion pedal (Boss Ds-1)

EDIT 2: I'm willing to spend up to $120 plus installation. I know the guitar isnt too good, but it has sentimental (spelling?) value to me and I would like to upgrade it.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Last edited by ibanez_rocker at Jul 3, 2006,
umm...anyone?
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
no no no..you wont sound like a7x unless you have an uberschall. it is not possible. its where 99.9% of there tone comes from. but if you got a new amp then id say get EMG's.
Go get your shovel.
^ EMGs won't sound as good as you would expect on a SS amp.. get passives!
any other suggestions? Should I just go with the GFS Crusader? and maybe one of their hotrail clones (if the have them..i havent checked)
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
yeah ill just say go with the crusader... you cant get a new guitar(like for instance, schecter??) and kinda pointless to put an 80$ pickup in a 150$ guitar... it wouldnt have exactly the A7X sound, but i think youll get a pretty powerful sound. plus, its like 30$ anyways
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

Last edited by zoltan256 at Jul 4, 2006,