I've decided that it's time to move on from my little 40W Marshall DSL2000 combo amp, and move up to a mesa boogie mark IV.
I guess the main reason i want to move to a Mesa is cause of the sound (And cause 'Tallica used the ol' Mark II series in the 80s'), but anyway a few questions:

- I know that from running my Marshall the onboard distortion is a piece of **** - I dont care how many people rage about it, it's ancient, hardly distorted and it can't handle any bass. So i guess my question is, is the mesa distortion any good? Do the bands that use them run distortion pedals into them, or do they use the onboard distortion? For my marshall i used a Boss metalzone pedal, and it did the trick great - i highly recommend this pedal if you've got a decent amp.
- do you own a mesa? do you think it was worth buying? what are the downsides (if any)?
- should i just get a head and run it through a quadbox?

My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul in case you need to ask, and i play alot of gig's with my band at reasonable sized venues
wait. you have a DSL and you murder it by running a metalzone thru it?
*sigh*
any way. either you play death metal or have no idea how to eq. regardless the mark iv is a very nice amp. and hear me now if you buy that amp and dont use its distotion i will kill you. seriously the distortion on that amp is awesome. why would you buy a mesa for any reason other than its gain!?!?!!
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeah, totally dont like the overdrive on this amp. my favourite thing about the 401 is the reverb. we dont really play death metal, more along the lines of thrash.

if you're so sure about the DSL401's credentials, recommend me some settings... and ill tell you whether i agree, or you're nuts.
Last edited by twentyextysixx at Jul 3, 2006,
ok. thrash you say?

gain channel 2
pre amp volume- between 5 and 7. find the sweet spot, it varies depending on the master.
master: where ever you want. farily high is always good.
treble- bout 7-8ish. depends on your guitar of course.
mid- anywhere from 0-4. it depends on preference.
bass- bout 6-7
reverb. none if possible. depends if you like reverb.

tthat should be fairly thrashy. to make it sound darker (more like a rectifier) keep the mids low but still there, this amp has a **** load of mids and roll the treble back to about 6ish. it should darken up the tone. these settings are for when its played fairly loud.

all these settings are open for suggestion, but some where along those lines. basically you wanna cut the mids as you crank it, mainly coz the more the power tubes crank the more it mids up.

also you may wanna try some new pickups. gibson pickups aren't made for metal.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
YA joels right the reason it sounded bad is you used that loser ass boss pedal on it. If you use a OD pedal with it like a MAxon overdrive you will have all the gain you will ever need. But ok on to the Mesa it is for the lack of a better word amazing. Great amp. and if you cant get the distortion you want out of it then there is someething wronmg with you
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join