ok i think its time for me to get a new amp. right now i have a Line 6 spider 30W. I have been playing for about a year now and am going to be playing in a band soon. I play pretty much any thing except death metal. The amp that i was looking at was a mesa f-30 tube amp.

1.Do you guyz think that after or if i get it, i will be able to use it for a long period of time? (say if i get realy quite good , thats an if, will i still be able to make use out of it)
2.Will it be loud enough to gig with, but still be able to get good tone for bedroom use?
3.How about the Mesa f-50 for the above question?
4.Is there a big difference in the f-30 and the f-50? And if so what is it?the F-50 is only about $200 CND more (Mesa f-30 $1195 CND)
5.would i be better off in the long run with the f-50 with this price?

And to any of you that have played it or own it(either f-30 or f-50),

6.can you get a realy good metal tone out of it like metalica and pantera? (I have played it be i didn't play it very loud and didn't have lots of time to fiddle around with the eq)

thx alot in advance guyz
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
you need to try them. The major difference is (afaik) that the f30 has el84 power tubes, while the f50 has 6L6's. So they'll sound quite a bit different when you get them up loud.

So yeah, you need to try them- neither's really better, more different.

Oh, and I'd say it's good enough to last you indefinitely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'd be better off with the F-50 unless you AB the two and decide you perfer the tone of the EL84s, which is the less likely situation.
^ i wouldn't say it's less likely, it depends what you're after, to be honest.

EDIT: oh, and to answer your other question, you'll be able to get metallica out of it no problem. Pantera might be more problematic, as the pantera tone is pretty bright, while the mesa is a more darkly voiced amp, which suits newer metallica better. Still, if you get a brighter amp, you'll get better pantera tones, but less good metallica. Unless you play 99% pantera, I'd just stick with the f, and put up with getting a mediocre pantera tone (or maybe get an EQ pedal).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok thx alot guyz. i have few more questions. I have never owned a tube amp so how much does it cost for the upkeep? would the price for it be much differen't for the f-50?
will i be able to get a good tone out of the f-50 at bedroom volume?
and can i plug the f 30/50 into a cab? how much more volume can i get from it?
Quote by metalmiliita56

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i wouldn't say it's less likely, it depends what you're after, to be honest.

EDIT: oh, and to answer your other question, you'll be able to get metallica out of it no problem. Pantera might be more problematic, as the pantera tone is pretty bright, while the mesa is a more darkly voiced amp, which suits newer metallica better. Still, if you get a brighter amp, you'll get better pantera tones, but less good metallica. Unless you play 99% pantera, I'd just stick with the f, and put up with getting a mediocre pantera tone (or maybe get an EQ pedal).

If he gets the F50, he might be able to do a 6L6/EL34 swap, which would brighten up/Marshall-ize his amp. I know I can do that switch no problem on my Mark. So, just an idea.

Upkeep - well, I've had my Boogie for 7 years. Had no problems at all with it except for a problem with the heat sink fan that first came up after I bought it. I haven't replaced any tubes on it for 7 years. I should, I know, but I haven't had to. It's been great to me. Umm...expect to spend $100 every 18-24 months if you play consistently (loud) with it for new tubes.

A cab should also be no problem. Check the Boogie website for specs.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 3, 2006,
^ maybe, I don't know (about the el34 swap). If he could, then obviously that's a much more attractive proposition.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok thx for the reply guyz
i think i'm leaning towards the f-50 but will it be too loud for bedroom use?
Quote by metalmiliita56

Quote by Tom Martin

Quote by Refixer
Last edited by Canuck_22 at Jul 3, 2006,
id go for it, and if you really hate the amp at low volumes, just get a THD hotplate
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
I use a Boogie at bedroom volumes all the time. Sounds great. Don't worry about it. You won't be able to take "full advantage" of your tubes, but the truth is there are very few times you can push your amp that hard. A lot of guitarists never will. A fifty watt tube amp dimed is as loud as a jet engine.
Hi, I'm Peter
hey dirk gently, or anyone, how much did u buy you mark iv combo for??? im debating between saving for a half stack or going for the combo, thanks
Well Enough Alone
^ that's why I don't like mesa. They try to charge well over £2000 for the mark IV here.

I realise that's 7 years ago, but still... you're talking double the price they go for in the states, when you do the conversion.

Bastards.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^ Now try to come to the States and buy one of your cherished ENGLs
Hi, I'm Peter
^ nah, i think engls are roughly the same. The screamer goes for $1200 on rocksolid, and they're about £700 here, which is roughly the same. You're saving maybe $50. So it's not the same.

Marshall and Orange, maybe you have a case. But it's still not just as big a gip as we get done for mesa, Vht, and the like...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ well, it'll be a little bit of it, but our customs are between one-fifth and one-quarter. You can post an amp worldwide for around £25- certainly less than £50 (the guys I got my engl head from offered worldwide postage for £25, but obviously they may have been absorbing some of the postage cost, to ensure a sale). Making amps for 240V operation = <£50.

So yeah, customs etc would raise the price a little, but at the end of the day, it's just because we get gipped. That's most of it anyway. Britain isn't called "treasure island" for nothing...

it doesn't help with all the noobs over here "wow, mesa, it must be good, it costs £2000!". Idiots.

Heck, I'd even like mesa if they weren't so gippy...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ meh, it'd cost more to do that, lol. The country and its business people know that they have us where it hurts, so they can basically do what they like...

it's a pretty feeble protest (my not buying mesa out of principle) but if enough people do it...

enough people won't though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i love the f-series, my next amp

the f-30 will have a much more 'evil' dirty channel IMO, and the clean is a bit warmer, 'rounder'

the f-50 is nice, but the gain isnt as powerfull IMO,not as agressive, but the clean is a lot more 'shimmery'

if you try one, get the master vol about 9:00 ish, thats where the tubes really fall in to character

www.myspace.com/scenerychannel that is an f-50 doing prog metal