Page 1 of 2
Yes my dad and i have have fallen in love with the Strat sound and are gonna buy one togehter. The thing is that we don't know wich one ot get? We love guitars with special colors. We really want a Fender Classic 50's Strat in Surf Green, but its pushing a bit on our budget. We want it for stuff liek Chili Peppers, Hendrix, SRV, Pink Floyd, Surf and Ramones? So would a Standard in white be ok for those or is it worth spending more and get a Classic 50's one?

EDIT: well this is the ones were deciding (and we ave found some buyers on his old gear):
Standard Strat is out, for the same price as one i can get oeither a Lite ash or a Classsic 60's, if we can spend a bit more its either a Classic 50's or a MIJ 80' s Strat.

EDIT 2: Classic 50's in surf green ain't sold here, but Fiesta Red is very nice.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Jul 7, 2006,
whats the difference in features? i'm not sure but i'd just go the extra for the 50's.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well the thing is that we want a vintage Strat sound and tried a 50's which we fell in love with, but its pushing our budget a bit...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

save up and get the 50's one, you will regret it if you dont, i bought a guitar instead of a different one, i regreted it so much, same with my amp.
RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK
whats ur budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^My budget doesn't really exist, were trying to sell his Epi Special II and Behringer and tehn well have to use his money and i wont get my monthly payment, but since his money is basicly our fmaily's money we don't wnat to use to much.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

well the MIM classic 50 is about $600.

you're going to get about $125 for the stuff ur turning in.

the only thing cheaper strat wise is the standard MIM like said. but then ud have to put in some upgraded pups. thats going to top u out to about $550. and u wont get the color u want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah true. Were trying to sell his Epi and amp used privatly. And new pickups would still make the Classic 50's cheaper.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^?

If we can't sell the Epi ill return it. Ill see what Strat it'll be.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Gabe's just getting everything these days! Haha well your lucky for that. How much is the 50s Strat pushing the budget by? You can always haggle with the people at the store, unless you are ordering it.
^Yeah i know i get everything now, but i don't get it for myself (my dad and i are getting it togheter). And the 50's Strat is 1200 kr more (164$, 89£ wich is quite mch so mt dad has more or less settled on the Standrd one, we really loved in in alpine white!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yea I love the alpine white too on a strat. Just settle for the standard. You may be able to find the pickups from the 50s strat later along the way. Then you can make a "Gabe's getting 50s Strat Pickups for his Standard Strat!".
^Or get Swinesheads Spotlights (wich is reverse wound middle pickup)
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Gabe, go Japanese!!! (if you can, if you can't....ha)

And the Classic 50's Strats are really nice guitars, so are the Classic 60's ones, and so are the Standard MIM ones if you find a decent one, my suggestion is to play as many as you can.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea. I dont know much about pickups but I have heard that the Swinesheads pickups are nice.

I own a Ruanway and its über pwnage.

R_H_C_P: Sorry, no cheap japanese ones. And itll be a Standard MIM
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

OK now both my testicles have been taken by gabe and joel, who wants to be my arms?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Ippon
Not sure what you mean by cheap MIJ .. they don't look cheap, in fact they're very well-made, and although you could get a used one for the price of a MIM, I would call them "inexpensive" instead of cheap

Yes, but what i meant is that i can't get an MIJ for this budget.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Pedricko
OK now both my testicles have been taken by gabe and joel, who wants to be my arms?

I shotty left arm.
Also for pickups (when we upgrade, i don't know when) which would you reccomend? I want something wich is kinda like hot vintage (like SRV's and with alot of mids) and not cost to much. Im thinkng
Fender Tex- Mexs
Swineshead Spotlights
(i might be able to convince my dad that we buy these ones)

And if i/ we save up more:
Fender Texas Specials
Bareknuckle Irish Tour
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by wylde_overdrive
... Kids these days...

But the Strat sound does pwn.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Jul 4, 2006,
bare knuckle irish tours.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^Hmm, they are pushng my budget alot (but i probably won't get them until my birthday in october or demand them since i have survived 9 years in shcool and got into the college i wanted to).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Listen to this, ive found a shop that carries vintage/ used MIJ Fenders and 80's Squiers for decent prices. I jsut wnated to know how these are?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

although i might be a bit late in the thread to say, but i used to have a 50's strat, and i liked everythin about it but the neck... it had some sticky gloss finish that i didnt really like.

pickups sounded AMAZING though, not the sort of pickups you generally get on stock guitars, i wouldnt think about changing those to be honest.

my only other slight complaint about it, was the bridge. its fookin sharp! im not being a pussy (well maybe a little) but that thing seriously cut up my hand when i PM orr whatever.

very nice guitar for the price though.
Thats right gabe, come over to the fender side, forget the gibsons

If you can afford it go with the 52 reissue, the 2 i played were just amazing, but so were the the standards. I dont know if the reissues are worth that huge hike in the price though.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
They are both MIM so quaility should be about the same. Try looking for a used strat in your price range.
^ Ahhh ^

I thought you meant MIA.
Well ive foudn a store that has loads of used MIJ Fenders for almost the same price as Standard Strats, they are from about 80's-90's, does anybody knwo if they are good?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Listen to this, ive found a shop that carries vintage/ used MIJ Fenders and 80's Squiers for decent prices. I jsut wnated to know how these are?

As far as MIJ Squiers, there are 3 basic types. Starting from the best, from what I've been told and read:
1. The JV series, triangular neckplate with the serial number, made in 83 using American hardware, and for the local Japanese market only. They are 62 RI copies, awesome PUs.
2. The SQ series, same triangular neckplate with the serial number. made in 83-87 (?), and made for export to the US and Europe. They are 70s RI types.
3. The later Squiers with the rectangular neckplates ... not sure how to differentiate the ones for the local Japan vs US and Europe markets.

The MIJ/CIJ Fender Strats are also awesome. Most are 60s and 70s RIs, using MIA hardware. One thing about those sold for the local Japan market, some are made of basswood, usually the ones that are 57/62 RIs with the Texas Special PUs. A lot are made of premium Ash called Sen (spelling?).

My favorite Strat is a MIJ JV Squier, it has the curved radius neck just like the MIA Fender 62 RI. My other MIJ Fender Strats are comparable to MIAs, at least the MIAs that I've upgraded PUs. Unlike some MIAs, none of the MIJs I've seen have the universal/swimming pool PU routing.
MIJ strats can be really good
Page 1 of 2