I find sometimes when I'm playing my fretting hand's thumb ends up right on the edge of the neck, next to the strings. Is playing like this going to hurt my playing/hand? Or is it just a comfort thing? Thanks.
my thumb curves over the top most of the time.... i put it behind the neck puprosely when doing bar chords or long stretching licks or sweeping arpeggios... apart from those occasions my thumb is curved over the top mostly for fingering notes on the 6th string if needed. i can't do vibrato properly without my thumb over the top so i keep it handy by practicing moving it through excerses... No, it doesn't hurt your hand, you should be mindful of better places to try and position your hand to make playing more efficient.
Mine usually sits about halfway up my bumhole, but thats just me.
Do a search dude.
Last edited by ferretman at Jul 3, 2006,
any guitar teacher will tell you to keep youre thumb directly behind youre fretted notes in the center of the neck straight up and down not so easy to do though
ibanez rocks
Quote by witrudd
any guitar teacher will tell you to keep youre thumb directly behind youre fretted notes in the center of the neck straight up and down not so easy to do though

Actually my teacher tells me it's all about comfort, wheather it be your thumb is in the "baseball bat" position or its right behind the neck.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I've thought about this lately, and today I watched my Led Zep dvd and I watch Page shift his thumb in both positions, in the middle and on top. I don't think it'll hinder your abilities, unless it physically hurts
Crit 4 Crit:
Melodic Death--Broken Mortal
Melodic Death--Lost in the Wind
Thrash--Inner Demons

Quote by societies_worm
the sad thing is not only is this guy a dumbass, but he is going to get more replies than i ever have, but thats is funny too
I don't think it really matters but having your thumb around the necks limits how far you can stretch. However, I think it can be better for your wrist because your forearm and wrist are aligned straighter than if you had your thumb behind the neck.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Really what you will hear from a lot of people is to keep it directly in the center of the neck. My friend taught me the by comparing it to holding a hamburger. After showing me he showed my why it is the best way by showing me how it helps with your range of motion while in that position. So it would definately benefit you more to make it a habbit of holding it the correct way.
Quote by kpasa01
Really what you will hear from a lot of people is to keep it directly in the center of the neck. My friend taught me the by comparing it to holding a hamburger. After showing me he showed my why it is the best way by showing me how it helps with your range of motion while in that position. So it would definately benefit you more to make it a habbit of holding it the correct way.

Tell that to Jimi Hendrix and John Frusciante. A person might need to adjust themselves if they have smaller or larger hands. The fretting hand must be flexible and must constantly be changing positions depending on what kind of runs you are doing. You can aim to have it in the middle, but it won't stay there.
^^Well I know it doesn't matter much when moving across like 7 frets or whatever but when it comes to having to play stuff like Dave Matthews songs when you have to stretch then it does make more sense. Try doing it both ways. One, with your thumb at the top of the neck (which is where mine ends up when I'm just stationairy playing chords within 3 to 4 frets) and the other with it in the center of the neck. Thats usually what a lot of people are trying to preach about when they say that. I am a complete slacker and end up doing the total oposite than what I say. Its like I know what to do but just tend to slack off a bit just like everyone does.
My thumb only hangs over the neck when I play open chords and try to mute the E string that isn't in the chord. My teacher says that it's bad technique and that I might get things like carpal tunnel or arthritis. The only other time that my thumb curls up is when I'm playing notes high up on the neck, I can control my thumb when I play barre chords but that's about it. I'm trying to put my thumb back in the middle of the neck but my hand starts to feel tight and painful.
my thumb usually does hangover the fretboard but thats because i use the thumb over neck technique
I try to keep my thumb around the middle of the neck when playing guitar. I struggled with barre chords for a while and the habit came from many hours of building up my finger strength.
I know a lot of people use the baseball bat technique for open F/F# chords but once I nailed barre chords I found it easier to do it that way.

When I'm playing bass I notice my thumb strays to a more relaxed, slightly north-of centre grip though, for quick muting of the E.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Wow. I'm suprised that so many people put their thumb over the neck. I almost never do that. And I don't usually need it to do vibrato or anything, only on big bends. Other than that, it is in the center of the neck.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
It depends on the size of your hand. For me, my hands are big enough to the point that I can use my thumb to play the bass note of most chords while still being comfortable and not straining my wrist.