I've noticed on my Squier Stratocaster that when I use the mid/neck and mid/bridge pickup positions, I get less noise than on the positions in which only one pickup is being used. Why is this?
Last edited by cokeisbetter at Jul 3, 2006,
Single Coils have a "hum"

Humbuckers "buck the hum"... therefore Strats tend to have more feedback and background noise.

(If you didn't know, SC and HB are pick-ups )
Most strats have a "reverse wound/reverse polarity" middle pickup. When two magnets of reverse polarity are in the same circuit, they remove the 60 Hz hum you hear. A traditional single coil, on the other hand, has no such defense mechanism and will pickup whatever electro-magnetic resonance/interference is in the room.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dragon1604
Single Coils have a "hum"

Humbuckers "buck the hum"... therefore Strats tend to have more feedback and background noise.

(If you didn't know, SC and HB are pick-ups )

Dude, the mid/neck and mid/bridge aren't humbuckers. And I know what a humbucker is, thank you.

Anyway, to Dirk, does that mean the pickups are cancelling each other out?
The pickups aren't cancelling each other out, per se. If they cancelled each other out, you'd hear nothing. It's just that the two magnetic fields cancel any hum they might otherwise pickup on their own.
Hi, I'm Peter
^like said.

but, if the noise bothers you, seems excessive, u should make sure there arent any computer monitors or dimmer lights on in the area.
if putting the guitar in 2,4 quiets it, then ur picking up 60 cycle hum. so look around for anything around the amp that might be adding to the noise. sometimes its even a pedal adapter.

also squiers quiet down alot, if u foil line the pickup cavity and pickguard back. easy way to sush it up a bit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ x2. And to add to what Jenny said, if you find the noise is excessive, there are sites online that show you how to rewire your Strat more efficiently (shielding, removing ground loops, things like that) which will also cut down on your noise.
Hi, I'm Peter
i think what you were trying to say is that the bridge/mid and neck/mid acts as a humbucker, they are not humbuckers in their own. that is the advantage of having a real humbucker on your guitar.
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....