Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, so take it easy.

Im looking for a tube amp that will cover modern hi gain really well. It needs to be for gigs and band practices, and ive already got a mesa standard rectifier cab to play the head through. It doesnt really matter if the amp is a "one trick pony" so to speak, because ill be A/B switching it with a clean amp. id like to get it online and not spend over 700, and was thinking along the lines of a dual rect, single rect, 5150 or 6505. etc

Thanks for the input.

- Garrett
Budget?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I think you cant get a Peavey XXX head for that much, but I'm not sure if you'll find a Dual Recto or a 6505 used for that much...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I've never heard of those chute amps (they may be great, check 'em out!), but for $700, considering you already have clean covered, the peavey 5150/6505 (or the mark II/+ models) sound like the obvious choice- they're really pretty good, and one of the main reasons a lot of people don't like them is because, as you say, they're one trick ponies and don't have great cleans.

EDIT: ok, just checked out those chute amps, they look nice, but if they're handwired, there's a good chance they're over your budget. Still worth a look, though.

And just to point out, I don't mean the 5150's are one trick ponies- they do rock pretty well as well as metal. It's just their cleans aren't great- but you have that covered.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 3, 2006,
For your price, you're not going to pull a recto, even used.....though it would be a great choice....save some more money.

A used Peavey XXX or 5150 would be another option.

Yet another idea would be to sell the clean amp (depending on what it is) and get an amp that does everything well.....my recto does everything I could want it to....and I LOVE THE CLEANS!
Um.. yeah I'll just say from experience that you won't find a used Dual Rectifier for less than maybe $1100. I've been keeping my eye on alot lately to replace my Rect-o-Verb Combo (which I may not do now). Umm but the other guitarist in my band just got a Peavey 6505+ and runs it through a Marshall 1960A (I've got one as well) and it's great for high-gain music. He bought his head (Peavey 6505+) new at our local music shop for $875 and since you've already got a good cab you should definitely be able to find one used for less than $700.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
For your price, you're not going to pull a recto, even used.....though it would be a great choice....save some more money.

A used Peavey XXX or 5150 would be another option.

Yet another idea would be to sell the clean amp (depending on what it is) and get an amp that does everything well.....my recto does everything I could want it to....and I LOVE THE CLEANS!

I wouldn't sell an amp good at cleans to get recto cleans... that's just me though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the carvin amps are good as well as hughes and kettner im pretty sure.
someone correct me if im wrong.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt