Page 1 of 2
i've got a strat with no pups in it, and i want to get that texas/blues sound. i've looked at the fender texas specials, the tex mex's, gfs's many texas sets, but i was wondering what you guys thought for a real bluesy strat.
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
i hear the ones from guitarfetish.com are REALLY nice (and i think theyre cheap too!)

The fender texas specials are popular too
cant have a humbucker, and its just not as texasy without the hum.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Bareknuckle Irish Tours are supposed to be really nice.

I'm pretty much having the same problem as you at the moment: I'm stuck between the Texas Specials and Irish Tours.
where can i look up the irish tours?
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Texas Specials are the way to go, in the bridge and middle, with a Sumarian Cobalt Noiseless in the neck because those Texas Specials do not clean up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont want them to clean up, and generally anything noiseless lacks tone.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
^ irish tours are meant to have great cleans by the way. That's from hearsay though. Oh, and I agree with your sentiments on the drawbacks of noiseless "single coils".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, i've just about listened to all the sound samples of irish tours from the bareknuckle site, and generally they are all clean. i need the nice distorted sound. and those are double the price of texas specials :|
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
^ yeah, it's true they're dear. You need to decide if they're worth it or not. Which is pretty hard when you haven't tried them. As far as I know, though, they should be of a similar hotness to texas specials (though I may be wrong) as they're aimed at that kind of tone too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think the texas specials are more aimed at ODriven tone though. so i'm probably gonna go with the T.S.'s
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
^ fair enough, go for it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Irish Tours hands down for the Texas sound, I myself went for the Apaches.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Also Irish Tours has a Revrsed polartiy middle pikcup, wich makes it humbucking in posistion 2 and 4.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
so do texas specials. you can get them other wise
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
yeah they are "custom shop" but released to the public, i dont get it. you could probably have them get you what ever.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Quote by Molsons Golden
Irish Tours hands down for the Texas sound, I myself went for the Apaches.

they any good?

oh, and by the way, gabe, you can get the IT's either RWRP or not- apparently the in-between tones are better (i.e. more vintage accurate, with more quack etc.) without the reverse wound middle pickup.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, thats why they give the option. if you want the more hendrix esque, aka pre CBS i believe. i think those were all non RWRP middles. but i may be mistaken..
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Dave, They aren't installed yet. I'm putting them into a Warmoth Hollow Body Swamp Ash Strat. Won't be done till around X-mas if I had to guess, sorry mortgage comes first.

Gabel: It doesn't automagicly throw two single coils into some kinda humbucker. If you have a RW/RP middle p'up on a standard wired Strat, the 2nd & 4th position will cancel out the 60 cycle hum inherant to all single coils.
I have Texas Specials myself, and you wont be disappointed with them. I'm not a big fan of the RWRP middle pickup, but i've never been a big fan of the 2nd and 4th positions, anyway.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootball, You do know Texas Specials have a RW/RP middle right? I myself have a pair in one of my Strats w/ a Hotrails in the Bridge. Love 'em

Virtually all Strats since the 1960's have RW/RP, and for many, myself included the neck & middle combo (or 4th) is favored for it's sweet tone and noise cancelling abilities.
i should consider the hot rails in the bridge. i never really thought about it. though the hot rails would probably sound muddy through my amp. would a lil 59 be an ok mix with them?
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
THESE ARE THE BEST

www.sdpickups.com

Hand-wound
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Dont get the Texas Specials get pick-ups from the man that Wounded SRV's pick-ups Van Zandt. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Van-Zandt-Strat-Set-Blues-Model-P618C145.aspx
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by Molsons Golden
TNfootball, You do know Texas Specials have a RW/RP middle right? I myself have a pair in one of my Strats w/ a Hotrails in the Bridge. Love 'em

Virtually all Strats since the 1960's have RW/RP, and for many, myself included the neck & middle combo (or 4th) is favored for it's sweet tone and noise cancelling abilities.

Yes, i know it has that, hence the reason i know that its not my favorite quality of hte pickups. I mean, its not bad, im just not a huge fan of it. I've never really liked those 2 positions anyway.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I dont mean to hijack the thread but does anyone have any exprience with tex mex pups or the gfs blues set?
man, you just turned me onto those van zandt's. i'm gonna get the blues set heh.
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
SDpickups.com has texas written allover it(literally).
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by Molsons Golden
Gabel: It doesn't automagicly throw two single coils into some kinda humbucker. If you have a RW/RP middle p'up on a standard wired Strat, the 2nd & 4th position will cancel out the 60 cycle hum inherant to all single coils.

I expressed myself bad, i know that they only cancel the hum and don't turn them into a humbucker.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Molsons Golden
Dave, They aren't installed yet. I'm putting them into a Warmoth Hollow Body Swamp Ash Strat. Won't be done till around X-mas if I had to guess, sorry mortgage comes first.

ahahaha, touche.

Quote by AcDc_1337
i should consider the hot rails in the bridge. i never really thought about it. though the hot rails would probably sound muddy through my amp. would a lil 59 be an ok mix with them?

jenny/jj1565 will probably bitch slap my ass into next week, but hot rails in the bridge sound thin, lifeless and generally crap, IMO. Still, they're noiseless, if that's you number one concern...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i didnt like the way the hot rails sounded, after i looked it up on the Seymour website, but kurt cobain used them in most of his strats, except those with humbuckers in them already.. i thought about the seymour hot/classic stack, but then i just figured, its a strat. why not get all 3 singles?
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
The Vandt are really good, you could also go for the Lindy Fralin Blues Specials.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by AcDc_1337
i dont want them to clean up, and generally anything noiseless lacks tone.

Doesnt Eric Clapton and David Gilmour use noiseless pups, tone kings in my view.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM (Swinehead pups)
Fender Custom Shop American Classic Strat
Mesa/Boogie Lone Star special
Marshall Guv'nor GV - 2
Boss Overdrive OD - 3
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD7
Boss Digtal Delay DD-6
Flanger
^ aye, but aren't they stacked noiseless? not rail type?

I know that rail-type ones don't sound as good. I have a feeling that stack type noiseless singles, while still not being as good as "true" single coils, are probably better than rail type ones.

But that might be crap, I'm far from certain.

Plus, on the tones that clappo and gilmour are known for, they were probably using "true" single coils. Or humbuckers in clapton's case, in cream.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^True.

Clapton uses Fender Vintage Noiseless and Gilmour uses a custom handwound set by Seymour Duncan.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't mean to take over the thread but can anyone post a link for buying those van zandt pickups in england?
Page 1 of 2