So i said a few weeks ago that i wanted some pedal effects to make a hevy sound.
I didn't know exactly what kind of sound i wanted so i watched this vid and thats the kind of sound i want.

In addition i own a Jackson js35k and a Line 6 Spider II 30W.I know,my equipment is trash but...
I was thinking of selling the 30W amp and buying a bigger one.Not that i want more volum but i've heard some bigger Spider II's a couple of times and i think they have a much more nice sound.Do u agree??

Don't forget to tell what i need to buy to make this sound

THNX
i would stay away from Spiders completley (why buy a louder crappy amp?)

go tube

what's your budget?
^Yup, go valve, a bigger Spider will only make you kick yourself even harder in the future.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah man hes right. I was in your situation and i went for the 2x12 spider thinking the bigger the better but its a little better sound but its sitll not great.
Recordings of me and my band in my profile
to get the truly heavy sounds that you hear on all your favorite metal albums, you really need half stacks or full stacks turned way up. these stacks have loads of headroom, and that's how a truly heavy sound develops. you can't get that kinda headroom on a thirty watt amp. it's like this; suppose i have a piece of **** kia, and you have a corvette. both cars can do 70 mph. but your corvette will do it better and for longer. the kia will be pushing it's engine to the max and it'll prolly be about to explode, while the corvette will just be hitting second gear. it's kinda like that with amps. so if you were looking for something to bring into the studio with a totally crushing sound, well, even a nice 100 watt amp really wouldn't do the job. you have to play out of nice heads.
a 100 watt amp would prolly help, as i take it you don't have the extra 2000 lying around for a stack. i have the boss metal zone mt-2 pedal at home, and it ****ing rocks. that gives you not just one heavy sound, but a wide range of fully tweakable heavy sounds. i would suggest that. stuff like that will give you a great heavy sound for the house. but as for recording, nothing but marshall or mesa boogie heads will do.
Nirvana
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan
Quote by Sam The Ripper
So i said a few weeks ago that i wanted some pedal effects to make a hevy sound.
I didn't know exactly what kind of sound i wanted so i watched this vid and thats the kind of sound i want.

no offense but i think the tone of that clip is pretty bad to be honest, sounds like a marshall mg or some other fuzzy practice amp...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Let it Happen
to get the truly heavy sounds that you hear on all your favorite metal albums, you really need half stacks or full stacks turned way up. these stacks have loads of headroom, and that's how a truly heavy sound develops. you can't get that kinda headroom on a thirty watt amp. it's like this; suppose i have a piece of **** kia, and you have a corvette. both cars can do 70 mph. but your corvette will do it better and for longer. the kia will be pushing it's engine to the max and it'll prolly be about to explode, while the corvette will just be hitting second gear. it's kinda like that with amps. so if you were looking for something to bring into the studio with a totally crushing sound, well, even a nice 100 watt amp really wouldn't do the job. you have to play out of nice heads.
a 100 watt amp would prolly help, as i take it you don't have the extra 2000 lying around for a stack. i have the boss metal zone mt-2 pedal at home, and it ****ing rocks. that gives you not just one heavy sound, but a wide range of fully tweakable heavy sounds. i would suggest that. stuff like that will give you a great heavy sound for the house. but as for recording, nothing but marshall or mesa boogie heads will do.

You think he has the money for that kind of stuff? Think before you post.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by ScottishAngus
no offense but i think the tone of that clip is pretty bad to be honest, sounds like a marshall mg or some other fuzzy practice amp...

yeah, it does pretty much sound useless, but i admire what that riff could become with proper equipment
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by JET116
i would stay away from Spiders completley (why buy a louder crappy amp?)

go tube

what's your budget?

i have about 200Euros for use but if something is worth buying i can "earn" some quickly.It's summer so i have much free time.Ok i get it "No more Line 6".I read somewhere that these amps are crap but i didn't believe it.SUCH A SHAME!!!!!!
So what pedal can make this sound???
Does go tube means a tube screamer????
^No, we mean buy a valve (tube) amp.

But doubt you'll get a decent one with your price range (unless that's just for a pedal....)
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P

You think he has the money for that kind of stuff? Think before you post.

that's true, he only has a little bit, but i just thought i'd tell him how it is. he could go to a studio and use all that stuff for like 30 bucks an hour though, which isn't too bad.

oh and btw, sweet pedal board man.
Nirvana
^He could do to get a feel of everything like that, but I doubt it's on the cards.

And cheers!
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Let it Happen
to get the truly heavy sounds that you hear on all your favorite metal albums, you really need half stacks or full stacks turned way up. these stacks have loads of headroom, and that's how a truly heavy sound develops.

not really....
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
not really....

maybe i did overemphasize some points, but you do need powerful heads for a truly heavy sound. i've only spent like 15 hours recording time in a studio, and that's one thing that is easy to figure out. we recorded some metal stuff, and the guy didn't hook us up with a 30 watt amp. i've had numerous people tell me this with lots of experience and expertise. so yes, you really do need to play thru like 400 watt heads for a heavy sound, not a thirty watt amp with a bunch of ****ty distortion pedals.
Nirvana
^But.... that completely depends on the amp, and wouldn't having a smaller valve amp be able to get more distortion because it can be cranked more at lower volumes. And completely depends on the pre-amp gain the smaller amp can get too
Don't be afraid to care"

^ Yeah. Kurt Cobain used a little 20watt tube amp with a blown speaker and shot tubes to record the Bleach album...and theres more distortion on that album then you can handle...
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ Yeah. Kurt Cobain used a little 20watt tube amp with a blown speaker and shot tubes to record the Bleach album...and theres more distortion on that album then you can handle...

but i think that Sam the ripper (or whatever) is looking for a crushing metal sound. bleach was grungy. i doubt he's looking for the sounds that cobain made with bleach.
Nirvana
^He wasn't saying he should get that amp, he's just saying what you can do with small amps.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
^But.... that completely depends on the amp, and wouldn't having a smaller valve amp be able to get more distortion because it can be cranked more at lower volumes. And completely depends on the pre-amp gain the smaller amp can get too

deep...

oh and btw R H C P, do you have the small clone pedal? how is it? how much did you pay for it? thanks bro.
Nirvana
Last edited by Let it Happen at Jul 3, 2006,
Quote by Let it Happen
but i think that Sam the ripper (or whatever) is looking for a crushing metal sound. bleach was grungy. i doubt he's looking for the sounds that cobain made with bleach.

i know. it was just the point I was making. you dont need a huge ass set up in a studio to make it sound like you have a billion fullstacks goin on...
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
i know. it was just the point I was making. you dont need a huge ass set up in a studio to make it sound like you have a billion fullstacks goin on...

actually, believe it or not, just one marshall half stack will do just fine. i think a billion would be a little unnecessary, don't you think?
Nirvana
^...Haha

And the Small Clone is really nice, very versitile chorus pedal, cost me £49 new (not including shipping costs)
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Let it Happen
actually, believe it or not, just one marshall half stack will do just fine. i think a billion would be a little unnecessary, don't you think?

hardy-har-har
it would be best to get a small tube amp...because then u can crank it and you will get a good overdrive out of it..stick another overdrive pedal in front of that and u will get all the gain u ever need.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by Let it Happen

You seem pretty n00b man. Headroom is just how much you can crank it before it starts distorting. You need to crank a 100watt amp to get it to distort, just like you need to crank a 30 watt amp for it to distort. If you've gone and cranked it, headroom is no longer an issue in either case; headroom is important when you want high volume cleans. A 100 watt amp can put out a louder clean signal than a 30 watt amp, true. But if you're going to get distortion, you might as well have a smaller amp that isn't deathly loud when you play.

And trust me, a heavy sound with a small amp is VERY easy. The size of the amp to how big/thick/powerful it sounds is all relative to room size. If you stick a small amp in a small room, and crank it, you get a big sound. It's just a fact. Hundreds and hundreds of bands have used this technique. Studios love small amps.

On top of that, your car example is pretty crap. You need to have the amp cranked to get heavy distortion. Therefor a Kia going 70 would be doing a better job getting a metal tone than a Corvette going 70. (Well, actually they'd be about the same, Corvettes suck ASS. All American made cars do.)
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
(Well, actually they'd be about the same, Corvettes suck ASS. All American made cars do.)

says yee who lives in Oregon.
I would save up (i know its hard but your amp is 70-80% of your tone)

i would put the amp first and then save and buy individual pedals later, rather than buying a crappy amp and several pedals (they will suck. youd end up with low end digitech pedals and a crappy solid state amp)

instead save up and look into some used tube amps and get an amp that will last you a while, worry about the pedals later
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
says yee who lives in Oregon.

Umm...your point?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.