Well, a friend showed me a scale and I was wondering if it really is a scale and if it has a particular name. It is in A, and he told me you could move it all over the fretboard in various positions to get it in E, C and so on.

E: -----------------------5-8----------
B: -------------------5-8--------------
G: ---------------5-7------------------
D: ------------5-7---------------------
A: ---3-5-7----------------------------
E: 5------------------------------------

So basically, does it have a name? I'd like to know for future reference, also if there are more notes too it than those above.

Sorry if I sound very confusing, I haven't had much sleep lately and I'm just getting into scales. This is actually the first scale I've ever tried, so please recommend me some more basic ones so I can train on them.

Thanks in advance.

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
A minor pentatonic. Also known as the A Blues Scale
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
thats a standard Am pentatonic scale(blues scale) but you should write it this way...

E: --------------------------5-8----------
B: ---------------------5-8--------------
G: ----------------5-7------------------
D: -----------5-7---------------------
A: ------5-7----------------------------
E: 5-8----------------------------------
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I see, thanks alot. If it's not too much trouble, could you point me to two scales commonly used for classic rock and such music?

Thanks alot for your quick answers.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
i'm pretty sure that's Am, although i'm not the scale expert myself. and you can move that basic pattern around to make Abm, Gm. etc...
Nirvana
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan
This scale and the major scale are most commonly used in classic rock, but i would say this one is more common
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just how back to the 70's shows is a lot easier way to play the exact same thing your playing
I think I ate your chocolate Squirrel.
well all rock is often based on the pentatonic scales but ofcourse in defferent keys too.

but they can as well use major scales a guess....

C-major
e------------------------------------------3-5-7---
b----------------------------------3-5-6----------
g--------------------------2-4-5-------------------
d------------------2-3-5----------------------------
a----------2-3-5----------------------------------
e--1-3-5------------------------------------------

try to find it in other positions to!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
ya most all of your classic rock and blues, and a lot of modern rock use minor pentonic.
I think I ate your chocolate Squirrel.
Quote by Lydian_Mode
A minor pentatonic. Also known as the A Blues Scale

...thats not the blues scale, in the blues scale you add a flatted 5th
so its the Am Pentatonic
So if the one I described was a minor pentatonic, how does a major pentatonic scale look in...let's say D?

Assuming of course a major pentatonic scale isn't the same as a major scale similiar to the one backtothe70's described.

I'm hopeless when it comes to this, I really appreciate the time you take to help a poor guy like me out with this stuff. I looked at the lessons, but none of them were as clear as the advice you've given me so far.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
|--------------7----10-------------|
|--------------7----10-------------|
|--------------7--9----------------|
|--------------------10------------|

root notes in bold. thats in d, that ones movable too. its the simplest major pentatonic. youll notice its the same as the relative minor pentatonic (B in this case)