I bought what I thought was an Epiphone Gothic Explorer with a licensed Floyd Rose off eBay for £130, however I've only just come to notice that this explorer I've bought looks like none of the gothic explorers that google images comes up with.
My guitar does have the Epiphone logo on it, is explorer shaped and even has the floyd rose. There are several differences between this and the 'real' Epiphone Gothic Explorer.

One of which is that my Explorer only has 2 knobs whereas the pictures show 3.
My Explorer has a silver floyd rose whereas the picture shows a black one.
My Explorer's fret board has dots on different frets whereas the pictures show no dots except a 'XII' on the 12th fret.
The pickup selector on my one is also next the knobs whereas the pictures on the internet show it should be much higher above.

Presently I have no pictures but by tomorrow I should be able to show contrasting Explorer pictures.
Until then, can anyone explain this strangeness?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
pwned,

that aint it, and i've played them, they aint anything special, this comes from an explorer nut, i own 3, 2 esps and 1 gibson
yeah i think you got ripped off. you have to be careful nowadays, the ibanez section
(as well as pretty much every other brand) of ebay is flooded with fake chinese ripoffs.
It plays pretty well, but I'm a kid and £130 is a lot of money...
The seller SEEMED to know very little about guitars and therefore I can't accuse him/her for committing a crime, but what do I do? Either demand a refund or sell it on eBay and probably lose a bit of money (and then buy a real gothic explorer my friend offered to sell me for £40 extra...)?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
http://rickmeister.dmusic.com/pictures

Well, it looks like someone's basically created this guitar from scratch.
The guitar will be taken to a shop tomorrow to be restrung and inntonation checked. So far it plays beautifully and the neck pickup was incredible. I haven't played a normal Epi Gothic Explorer so I can't really compare.
Who know's, maybe this one could be better?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rickmeister
It plays pretty well, but I'm a kid and £130 is a lot of money...
The seller SEEMED to know very little about guitars and therefore I can't accuse him/her for committing a crime, but what do I do? Either demand a refund or sell it on eBay and probably lose a bit of money (and then buy a real gothic explorer my friend offered to sell me for £40 extra...)?

Refund.

Guitar n00b or not, even if you can't blame him/her for not knowing, if you're not satisfied, get a refund. You don't have to take crap like that.
The bridge looks like something out of the 80's...
My Epiphone knowledge is limited at best, but maybe it's just a very old model?
Okay, looking at those pics, you definitely don't have an a gothic Epi. In fact, you might have a frankenexplorer.
It's not a GOthic explorer it couild be an older Epiphone. But like the person above me said it could also be a guitar that was pieced together.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
that trem may be Epi but its definately from the 80s. Does anyone else think the body is too small? It looks like a Dean baby Z exp. It could be an Epi neck on a Dean baby Z from teh 80s.
Quote by rickmeister
I bought what I thought was an Epiphone Gothic Explorer with a licensed Floyd Rose off eBay for £130, however I've only just come to notice that this explorer I've bought looks like none of the gothic explorers that google images comes up with.
My guitar does have the Epiphone logo on it, is explorer shaped and even has the floyd rose. There are several differences between this and the 'real' Epiphone Gothic Explorer.

One of which is that my Explorer only has 2 knobs whereas the pictures show 3.
My Explorer has a silver floyd rose whereas the picture shows a black one.
My Explorer's fret board has dots on different frets whereas the pictures show no dots except a 'XII' on the 12th fret.
The pickup selector on my one is also next the knobs whereas the pictures on the internet show it should be much higher above.

Presently I have no pictures but by tomorrow I should be able to show contrasting Explorer pictures.
Until then, can anyone explain this strangeness?

lol i have the epiphone gothic explorer as u see its the real one btw (bought from shop and has serial number) just dont buy from ebay i dont thrust it anyway the real guitar really Pwns as u see i have installed the EMGs 81/60 and i love it

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Last edited by freddy692000 at Jul 4, 2006,
Quote by freddy692000
as u see i have installed the EMGs 81/60 and i love it

some one wants to be like James Hetfield
i am james hetfield

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
I still like my guitar. I THINK the pickups are Seymour Duncans, if they are then they're worth more than I bought the guitar for.
It still sucks I was sold a fake. Basically me and my friends have working out it's completely customized by someone who decided the sell it. It says Epiphone on the neck but the neck feels like a Strat rather than the traditional fatter Epiphone ones.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by CustomCustom
Its probably off of an Epi strat copy

For some reason I thought that too.
Only the explorers and strats had that headstock, right? And only the strats were bolt-on.
Explorers have hockey stick headstocks (that's how they are or were ddescribed ont he Gibson site), strats don't. The Exploerer one is smaller and angled more.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Explorers have hockey stick headstocks (that's how they are or were ddescribed ont he Gibson site), strats don't. The Exploerer one is smaller and angled more.

It's close, but you're right. In which case, I'm stumped.
Quote by rickmeister
I still like my guitar. I THINK the pickups are Seymour Duncans, if they are then they're worth more than I bought the guitar for.
It still sucks I was sold a fake. Basically me and my friends have working out it's completely customized by someone who decided the sell it. It says Epiphone on the neck but the neck feels like a Strat rather than the traditional fatter Epiphone ones.

That's the most important. As long as it sounds nice and you're able to make it do whatever you want, you're all set. And the price you paid, £ 130 ($ 240), isn't a rip-off. Enjoy your weapon!
Well, I've had it confirmed as an Epiphone guitar so I need to apologize to the eBay seller ASAP who did not in any attempt try to trick me as they did provide pictures so it is my fault.
What I'm going to do is sell it for profit and then buy my friend's proper Gothic Explorer. That way everyone is happy.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60