I was just wondering how many people here have managed to organise a gig with at least 2 bands performing. The unsigned music scene where I live is somewhat dire and I'm interested in looking into organising more gigs.
I know there's a lot of costs and implications to bare in mind so I was just curious as to who here has actually managed it and how did it go?
I haven't done it personally, but my band has done it many times. We've even organized shows where we weren't even on the bill. It's not too hard, make sure you have at least a couple bands that can draw, find out how much the club/hall whatever will cost to book, find out how much it would be to rent a PA/Soundguy and then estimate how many people you can get to show up. Then determine how much to charge based on that.

If you're lucky, some of your bands will play for free or next-to-nothing (if they haven't gigged much before), and with the right people/myspace promoting is easy and free. If you're really lucky, one of the bands might have their own PA they're willing to let you use, and if you rent one from a band/friend, it'll be much cheaper then renting from a music store.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by DevilMayCare
I was just wondering how many people here have managed to organise a gig with at least 2 bands performing. The unsigned music scene where I live is somewhat dire and I'm interested in looking into organising more gigs.
I know there's a lot of costs and implications to bare in mind so I was just curious as to who here has actually managed it and how did it go?

Firstly, you need to find other bands willing to play alongside you. Once you've got that, make sure they're willing to split the cost of the venue, and then find a venue. Preferably a good sized one. Find out how much they'll charge to hire it out for a however long you'll need it for, and find out what - if any - house equipment they have and are willing to use.
Once you've got the venue and the bands, make sure you get the equipment and sound/lightning techs sorted out well before the gig, so if something gets pulled out or someone can't make it you've got time to get another of whatever it was. Then obviously work out a decent price to charge on entry, and make sure you can cover the cost of hiring the venue - make sure the cost is shared, otherwise bands will take advantage of you in the future.
Once all that is sorted, advertise like crazy. Hopefully all the bands playing would have a fanbase of somesort who will turn up, but you need to try and attract other people as well. Spare nothing on advertising; posters in windows, articles in newspapers, flyers on cars and lamposts. Do everything possible to get adverts out there.

Good luck with that.
I know it's been mentioned above but I want to put emphasis on advertising like mad. Copy flyers and post them in the local high schools, music shops, Walmart, and things of that nature. Tell everyone you know and people you don't know. The best way to cover the cost of all the things listed above (venue, sound/lights, etc.) is to get people in the door paying the cover charge. Since you seem to be just starting playing gigs you most likely won't have a CD or other merchandise so most of your revenue is going to be coming from the cover. See also if you cna arrange with the venue to have them take a percentage of the cover instead of charging a flat fee, as you'll most likely save money this way and it gives them some incentive to do some promoting of their own. Good luck!

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists