this is a first shot at recording one of my songs, it's pretty basic, just acoustic strumming and vocals. i recorded it on a lazy sunday morning (without a metronome ...) and it was actually my first take. i just added a little reverb to the vocals, otherwise the sound is completely dry. the recording setup was a shure beta 58 for the vox, and combined piezo pickup + closeup condenser micing to the soundhole (audiotechnica something). so this is by no means complete or anything, more of a rough sketch. the final version will definitely have some picking, but i screwed up recording it and ran out of time.

nowhere i can go (~ 2.5 MB)
lyrics

thx for any thoughts & comments, i will crit back, of course.
- When I was your age Pluto was still a Planet. - anonymous
This is pretty good for an acoustic track. It sounds a lot like an acoustic Audioslave, if you don't mind me saying

Good vocals, well recorded. At some parts it sounds as if you're holding back a little bit, even when you're hitting those higher notes and holding them, it just sounds like you could put a bit more into it and it would sound a lot better.

When you said you used the combined pickup/mic technique, did you pan the two sounds to opposite ears? I can't tell from the recording, but if you haven't yet, give it a shot. Give it some vocal harmonies too.

And if you get a chance, turn this into a full-on Audioslave style rock song, cos that's the direction I see it going in.

Great stuff
Quote by Drummondo
This is pretty good for an acoustic track. It sounds a lot like an acoustic Audioslave, if you don't mind me saying

Good vocals, well recorded. At some parts it sounds as if you're holding back a little bit, even when you're hitting those higher notes and holding them, it just sounds like you could put a bit more into it and it would sound a lot better.

When you said you used the combined pickup/mic technique, did you pan the two sounds to opposite ears? I can't tell from the recording, but if you haven't yet, give it a shot. Give it some vocal harmonies too.

And if you get a chance, turn this into a full-on Audioslave style rock song, cos that's the direction I see it going in.

Great stuff

i was actually trying to aim towards the acoustic singer/songwriter style (dmb, ben harper). but i don't mind the audioslave reference at all (*turnsred*) . i only have three more weeks to go to summer break and than i'll have loads of time to work on my stuff.

as for the technical stuff, i actually just recorded vox left, guitar right channel and merged the two lateron. but i'll try the panning thing when i do multitrack recording.
- When I was your age Pluto was still a Planet. - anonymous
Drummondo was right when he said it sounded like acoustic Audioslave. I really like it. It sounds fine with just strumming, I don't think it needs anthying else. Maybe a piano or an electric guitar sustaining bended notes in the background at the end (to build up a climax).

But yeah, its great, I love it.
Sounds great. The acoustic is simple but works effectively. You've got a solid voice - very strong (like Chris Cornell's). I agree with the other poster that this would greatly benefit from a lead electric guitar or even layered piano chords to add more depth and make this song more interesting. But what you've got so far is a strong start

Crit for crit?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387829