I have a vintage epiphone g-400 sg and my friend and I were changing the strings, we are trying to put the new ones in but they always make a twanging sound(even the old ones when we put them back in) so I think we must of mest up the bridge(think thats what its called). What should I do?
make sure the screws holding the bridge down arent loose or too tight
How come everything today has involved things either coming in or going out of my ass?
I don't think I understand the problem.

Your guitar sounds too twangy? Pick further away from the bridge.
did u take all the strings off at once? jw.

anyway, sometimes when u change strings u let the neck relax a bit, the bridge on a tom moves a little, or u put on lighter strings...

so just raise the bridge a little see if its just fret buzz.

if u really dont think its the strings rubbing on the frets. then repost. maybe something is loose.

loosen the top screw, that will loosen the thumb screw, pointed to by red arrow. thats what moves the bridge up and down.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
KK there isn't really any buzz now but the strings are a little loose(put the old ones back on). But the only thing that is kinda bugging me is that at the first fret the string is so much tighter and closer to the fret board then say the 15th or 22nd which is alot higher up and looser but everything still sounds decent. And is it ok to cut really long strings I bought from the store, there about 1/2 ft longer or more then the strings the guitar came with, its a big pain to string them and the low E string is too long to wrap around and comes off the tuning knob.
um... your confusing the hel out of me... i think you should just give it to the store you bought it to and they can do the maintenence because i think its a little obvious your at least somewhat new at maintaining your guitar.... and im still very confused.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
the strings are supposed to be closer at the 1st fret than they are at the 22nd.

just not a REALLY high at the 22nd. not if u dont like a "high action."

now as for how much slack to leave, here is a how to string up guide.
u want about 2-3 inches past the tuner. that will give u a few good wraps around the tuner when restringing...

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

ok as for why the strings feel loose... is it posible that ur not in tune in the right octave?
could they be LOW?

u might want to check out ur intonation too. its ur tuning along the fretboard.

for now, after ur sure the guitar is in tune, also check to see if the guitar is in tune at the 12th fret. (use an electric tuner.)

lastly, if the action seems really high, that sounds like u have too much bend in ur neck.
that's going to make the action seem high.

string gauge changes do all these things too. anyway, answer as much as u can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Have you checked your intonation? Maybe you should just take you guitar back to the shop and ask them to help you.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?