Hey everybody,
I am VERY interested in getting an acoustic guitar. My first question for u all is what you think a good first acoustic would be. Ive been told that a Tanglewood TW-NS15 is a good choice, but im looking for a little better quality. Im looking to spend about a grand. My second question is, although this may just be personal choice, but, if i should keep my electric quitar and buy an acoustic also, or if i should go for an electric-acoustic and sell my Les Paul. Please help people. Thanks.
People think im insane becuase i am frowning all the time.
----------------

Member of the Radiohead Fan Club
Question 1: If you have the money to throw around and aren't tied down, go ahead and get a more expensive guitar. If your not sure how you'll like it or dont have the money, then check the sticky thread "guitars under $300." You can get a great guitar for that price.

Question 2: Id say keep your electric. Then you have both to play on, and I dont see the reason to have an AE unless your going to be playing a lot of shows.
Quote by Kollarism
Question 1: If you have the money to throw around and aren't tied down, go ahead and get a more expensive guitar.

That's really bad advice...

There's no point buying an expensive guitar just because 'you have money to throw around'. You can get VERY guitars for half that price (are we talking dollars/euros/sterling/other?)

The 'guitars under $300' is a great thread to wet your chops, but don't stop there. As always, head to your local guitar shop and try as much as possible.

My advice is not to spend the money just because you have it. A top end guitar isn't made for everyone. Find the guitar that's right for you - not for your money.

With regards to your second question - keep your electric, it's good having both.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Last edited by ask_withnail at Jul 3, 2006,
Well he alreayd plays electric, so its not like he's gonna stop playing cuz he doesnt like it. I dont see that as bad advice, its up to him the amount of money he want to spend.
It's not a question about whether he's going to stop playing or not. I'm sure he'll love a grands worth of guitar, but i'm also certain that he'll equally love a guitar half that price.

Mid range guitars made by Seagull, Takamine, Yamaha, Alvarez, Washburn, Blueridge, Art&Lutherie, Simon & Patrick etc. can all easily compete with some top end ones.

Quote by ask_withnail
It's not a question about whether he's going to stop playing or not. I'm sure he'll love a grands worth of guitar, but i'm also certain that he'll equally love a guitar half that price.

Mid range guitars made by Seagull, Takamine, Yamaha, Alvarez, Washburn, Blueridge, Art&Lutherie, Simon & Patrick etc. can all easily compete with some top end ones.

I agree. I got a Yamaha FG700 for $199 and I dont plan on getting a new guitar for awhile now. I love this one. If a grand is too much, then look either at the guitar under $300 thread like I said before, or take those guitars and look at better models. FG750 for instance.
Here is the deal. The difference between a $1,000 guitar and a $300 isn't that big. It's big enough to be worth it for an experianced acoustic player but it's not worth it for everybody.

When you get into the $1,000 price range you have 2 types of guitars. You have solid wood guitars that are actually worth $1,000 and you have laminate guitars that are no better (and sometimes much much worse) than $300. Solid wood guitars typically sound better than laminated guitar but they are much harder to take care of. The bodies warp and twist with seasonal changes which can make playing them difficult. This is not much of an issue with laminated guitars

So all and all what I'm saying is that if you are new to acoustic then it's probably a good idea to get a $300 to $500 guitar with laminated back and sides. This will give you a low maintinence guitar to play on. If you are dead set on getting a $1,000 guitar then make sure it has solid wood back and sides. Do not spend $1,000 on a guitar with a laminated back or a HPL back and sides. Oh yeah... I would recomend the Martin D15 and the Martin OOO15 for something in the 1K range. The D16 is good too but stay away from anything in the DX searies

The good thing about the guitars I just recomended are that they have solid wood construction wich gives them

To you second question. Electric and acoustic are very very different. You will find that you need them both.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks for your help everybody, your advice definatley will help me make my decision.
People think im insane becuase i am frowning all the time.
----------------

Member of the Radiohead Fan Club
I got a Koa Washburn at a great price of 300 marked down from 700. My friend, an experienced guitarist got an 800 dollar Taylor at the same time. Believe it or not he likes mine better than his as do I. And that was amidst a plethora of humidity problems. But now that I've got my humidifier I'm all set. So I guess that shows you that money, and name aren't everything. Oh. Definitely get a humidifier. Too many beautiful acoustics are ruined by humidity.
Martin D-15 is a really good guitar and it is $849. I own one and it is the best guitar(for me) that i have played and I have tried every thing form Yahmaha to fender.
my blog gameruber.blogspot.com
Member #6 of ''Beatlemania is NOT Phony''
Gibson Flying V
New Yourk pro Strat
Big Muf Pi
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Boss PH-3
Vox AD100VT
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Quote by hellview_666
oh brilliant..ive learnt something new thanks man!
Quote by Smoothrider_41
A Taylor 214E is a nice acoustic. If you can handle it.... haha

Yep, I own that guitar, and cherish every single note.