That's right I dunno if there is another thread so I decided to start one up, if there is another thread liek this please reply here with it. anyway

Anyway I have a few questions regarding metal music strings and tunings... Here are a few tunings I'd liek to get my hands on, thing is I 've looked on the intenrent and found them however they are either all uppercase, lowercase or mixed in a weird way, was wodnering if I could get the offical uppercase and lowercase tuning to them all, would be appreicated!

For example I've seen these 3 on the internet

E A d g b e
E A D G B e
E A D G B E

Which one is right? I hope you understand what I'm after here, would be appreicated if yous could hlep me wit hthe correct uppercase and lowercase for the tunings belox.

Drop D
Drop C#
Drop C
Drop B#
Drop B
Drop A#
Drop A

Onto my next question, strings. I personally run standard tuning dropped down 2 steps (down 4 half steps/4 frets) with standard strings 0.09mm.

Was wondering what would be the best string size for the tunings I've written above. For example 0.10mm?. Another thing I play in flames type stuff, heavy riffs with solos was wondering what the best strings would be for me then if I tune drop B, drop A# etc.?

etc. As I'm thinking of changing string size.
Last edited by FlakKer at Jul 3, 2006,
doesnt matter... the uppercase doesnt mean anything but normally the lowercase e would be the high e string... but it doesnt have to be lowercase
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
ok it really doesnt matter wich if those you use, the way it is capitalized just showes wich is the lower strings: like EADGBe the lower case e is the smaller string, but it doesnt matter wich way it is capitalized it is all the same. the string gauge is not really as important as most people think but the higher you go the deeper the sound, for heavy metal and drop tuning you want alot of low end so go with a bigger gauge
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
ther is no drop d# that i know of, drop d would be DADGBe and for all the strings after that just drop all the tunings down a half step
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
o and you are definitley not gonna wanna go all the way down to drop A, your just gonna get a flapping sound from your string cuz they will be way to loose, drop B is the farthest down you wanna go, thats all youll really need anyway
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Lower or upper case doesn't mean anything....it's just how the certain people typed it....sometimes, the high E is lower case, just to distinguish between the two.

For the drop tunings, I really don't see how the 9s are holding up comfortably.....you have gotten them all the way to drop B?

I play from standard to Drop Db, and I use 11's......for Drop B, I would be using 13's.
Uh. Strings for this tuning:
C
G
Eb/D#
Bb/A#
F
C

I'd recommend a thicker set.
I use these right now, though I dont go to lower tunings often anymore.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EJ21-Nickel-Jazz-Light-Guitar-Strings?sku=100117

These are thicker, and might work better.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EJ22-Nickel-Jazz-Medium-Guitar-Strings?sku=100118

.14's might even do you some good justice.
Spiral Out
Wow... that was really confusing. I'm no expert but I play metal and have been posting here lately so I'll do what I can to try and help.

Ok, first of all as long as you see E A D G B E in any way (any cases) it means standard tuning. The most common way I've seen it written is E A D G B e, I guess because some people may not know the order of the strings and the lower case 'e' is the highest one.

Um.. I'm assuming you already know about drop-tunings since you say you "run" standard tuning down two steps but for the actual strings... let's see

Drop D# - D# A# D# G# C F
Drop D - D A D G B E
Drop C# - C# G# C# F# A# D#
Drop C - C G C F A D
Drop B# - (are you serious) C F# C B F# G C#
Drop B - B F B E G C
Drop A# - A# F A# D# F C
Drop A - A E A D F B

Not sure why you would need to know each of the individual strings unless you were tabbing something out but whatever.

Umm ok about string gauges that's really just a personal preference. I play in Drop-D tuning with Ernie Ball "Light Top Heavy Bottom" which go from .52-.10. I would think that if you're tuning down to Drop-C that .9 is way too light for you and I would imagine the strings are too loose. If you need light upper strings for lead things, like I do, I would reccomend the light top heavy bottoms.
I do alot of solos and heavy stuff so that's why I've been running 0.09mm, do yous thin k0.10mm would be better in my case?
Quote by PerryS.

Not sure why you would need to know each of the individual strings unless you were tabbing something out but whatever.
trying to look for another type of tuning that might suit me better.

Ah k thanks for the tip with strings, I think I'll actully try 1.0mm for once with drop C/B tuning then see how I like it.

For the other stuff I'm not exactly new to palying the guitar, jsut new to all of these tunings and stuff as I've only played guitar with the same tuning.
I don't know if I'm like.. blanking out but 1.0 isn't ringing any bells. Are you talking about .10 gauge? If so, no I still think that's much too high for Drop-B tuning. I kinda skimmed your post but are you having any particular problems? I would think that the strings are too loose but you haven't really said so.
Quote by PerryS.
I don't know if I'm like.. blanking out but 1.0 isn't ringing any bells. Are you talking about .10 gauge? If so, no I still think that's much too high for Drop-B tuning. I kinda skimmed your post but are you having any particular problems? I would think that the strings are too loose but you haven't really said so.
I play pretty fine with 0.09 atm :O I meant 0.09 yes lol

Only problem is that My picking hand has diffectitly avoiding picking strings that I'm not supposed to pick (loose), was also wondering is this the cause of the 0.09 strings with drop b tuning?
Um.. maybe you should try a heavier pick. Woah.. wait you're talking about picks aren't you? 1.0mm pick? Yeah.. picks are 1.0mm, strings are like .10 idk. Just tell me if you're talking about string gauges or pick thickness.
Quote by PerryS.
Um.. maybe you should try a heavier pick. Woah.. wait you're talking about picks aren't you? 1.0mm pick? Yeah.. picks are 1.0mm, strings are like .10 idk. Just tell me if you're talking about string gauges or pick thickness.

ah sorry i wrote wrong lol 0.10 string size, my plektrum is very hard