I have a Jackson DK-2, can the Jackson JT580 Tremolo be set up to play in CGCFAD? the one store clerk said yes, the owner said it would be unsafe, but he seemed really old school and he was like 70 years old
i dont see why not as long as you change the spring tension so that the bridge stays parrallel to the guitar body. <thats what ive been told atleast
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
yeah it can be done i had to do it cause i had to play some system of a down songs for my school (best project ever) the only bad part is tuning down and tuning up, it takes forever. not to mention if you do it many times it will put your bridge kinda out of balance so you might have to screw the bridge further in on the underside of the guitar.
Us and Them
yeah it can be done. you just have to have someone set it up to be played that way. floyd roses are meant to be in standard so they are set that way, so just like if you were gonna change string gauges, you need to have it set up for a different tuning.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by metal4all
i dont see why not as long as you change the spring tension so that the bridge stays parrallel to the guitar body. <thats what ive been told atleast

thats exactly what you need to do.
it takes a ****ing long time but you tune down then adjust the springs in the back keeping the flat part ( where it says floyd rose) even to the guitar.

Do this a little bit at a time until you dropped thje tuning and your bridge is still paralell to the body.
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
I knew it, the owner was telling me that oh no you cant theres a good chance its not going to stay in tune blah blah, any recommendation on what gauge strings to tell them to put on, usually for drop c ill use 52's?
I tune my Floyd down a whole step and to drop-C.
You'll want to tune down, then look at the bridge, and how parallel it is to the body. Since the springs are adjusted for standard tuning, tuning down to D standard or C will loosen the strings, causing the bridge to recess back into the guitar. The screws holding the springs in place are near the front of the body, so you'll want to loosen them, causing the back of the bridge to rise. Loosen them about a quarter turn at a time (yes, a quarter, play it safe don't break your guitar). This will cause it to go out of tune a bit. Tune it back to D standard or C and then look at the bridge again. You'll need to repeat this process until the bridge is level, and the guitar is in tune. If you don't feel safe doing it yourself, take it to the shop, or better, let someone that knows what they're doing show you. It used to take me anywhere from 1-2 hours. After doing it again and again you start to "learn" your guitar. I can do mine in about 45 minutes on a good day.
For string gauges, 9 is good for standard, and 10's are good for tuning down a whole step. The string tension is the same between 9's in standard and 10's down a whole step. If you plan on keeping it in drop C, you could use 11's if you really wanted. I use 9's in standard and when I tune down a whole step. I can bend the strings easier when I use 9's down a whole step.
Last edited by Buttloaves at Jul 3, 2006,
my question is, will it work with B F# B E G# C#?
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
tah-dah, i have a newfound respect for avenged sevenfold fans, and i will never make fun of one again
</lifechangingmoment>
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
Quote by caughtinamosh
my question is, will it work with B F# B E G# C#?

What the hell are you trying to play? Amon Amarth? (drop ****ing A, holy crap)
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
i just like really low tunings
i'd buy a 6-string bass instead of a guitar if i had the money
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by Schneiderman
i wouldnt drop it all the way to B on a standard 24-24.75 scale length ( if thats what you have)

usually a baritone guitar around 25 all the way to 27 is used for drops in tuning that much. If you dropped it that much the strings would be flapping everywhere and it would buzz and be allllllll ****ed up.

good luck though
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
hmmm... its possible you gotta spend about an 1 hour doing it. then you gotta check your neck warpage and intonation and action. also yeh baritones are better at low tunings but most models dont carry a floyd rose.
"What the hell are you trying to play? Amon Amarth? (drop ****ing A, holy crap)"

A is nothing...suicide silence plays drop G and so does Veil of Maya i think
Quote by deathshredder55
"What the hell are you trying to play? Amon Amarth? (drop ****ing A, holy crap)"

A is nothing...suicide silence plays drop G and so does Veil of Maya i think

Why are you bumping a 4 year old thread on Floyd setup? You dumb ass.

*reported*