if your not going to be playing shows?
because im planning on getting an AE, but im not going to be playing shows
atleast not yet
but shouldnt it be just a good thing to get?
if its built in why not?!

sorry for this post since i have one down there but had to ask
Even if you are not doing shows, it gives you another option other than a mic for recording. Personally, I use cables to record my acoustic, I think it sounds better. Also, some AE's come with tuners, so thats a plus as well.
Personally, I dont see the need for it. Are you really gonna plug it in just sitting around playing yourself or for some friends? Thats the beauty of acoustics is that they are loud enough and dont have to be plugged in. If you do decide to do shows then, you can always just put a mic up to your guitar. Plus, AE will be more expensive.
A few acoustic players have told me that having the electronics and a cut out on it hurts the tone, but It's probably just personal preference really.
the lesser known of the 4
Quote by 5thhorseman
A few acoustic players have told me that having the electronics and a cut out on it hurts the tone, but It's probably just personal preference really.

Cutaways can affect the overall tone. The cheaper the guitar, the more you'll notice. The more you spend, its not really a problem.
cutaways lessen the volume of the guitar because there is less wood vibrating (i think). Some guitars counteract this with thicker backs.

I have an AE, and though I don't play live yet, I do plan to soon. I think it is preferable for live playing. But for just jamming/practicing there's no need. I mean, my sound card is really crap so I just mic my guitar to record - and still get good results.

If you are going to get an AE, be prepared to spend more money then you would with a pure acoustic. Ask yourself is it really worth parting with your money for electronics that you may never use to their full potential?

And whatever you do, dont buy an AE for its built in tuner. Buy a chromatic tuner. Or even better, tune by ear, then fine tune with that chromatic tuner you just bought

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Quote by olp07
Even if you are not doing shows, it gives you another option other than a mic for recording. Personally, I use cables to record my acoustic, I think it sounds better. Also, some AE's come with tuners, so thats a plus as well.

The only reason I record plugged in is for convenience. The sound is usually better with a high quality mic. Now, if you have spent a few hundred dollars for your pickup in your guitar, it probably combines a condenser microphone and an under-the-saddle pickup. IN that case I would probably use it to record. While the average electronics are great for playing plugged in live and for convenience, usually the sound with a nice mic is better. If you aren't going to perform a lot, I would say spend more money to get a plain acoustic guitar.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
well my budget is from $350-$500
and it just so happens
that the takamine i like is an acoustic electric
its the Takamine EGS-330SC,same with the Alvarez AD70,and the Ovation CU247
lol
yes i like 3
but can only choose 1
I would say that buying a guitar because it is electric acoust is a huge waste. Don't do it! The stock electronics on most acoustics (taylor excluded) are horrible anyway. Plus adding a pickup and preamp to your guitar is cheap and easy. However... If you find a guitar that you like and it just happens to come with electrinics then great, but let the electronics be the bonus don't let it be a selling point.
Not taking any online orders.
i like how you put it corduroy
and yess...i didnt pick the guitar just soley for its electronics
I absolutly love mine, it is JUST as thick as a 6 string acoustic, even dry. but if i want i can amp it up a bit.
plus you have the ability to shape your acoustic sound + add effects like chorus which is really cool.
i also really love the thinness of them

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
I started playing shows a year ago and opted for a straight acoustic and purchased a dean markley external pickup. It did the trick, the sound was alright and for the venues we played, i got by with it. However, you dont have the luxury of controlling your tones on stage unless you have a DI box at your fingertip....so I went and bought an AE and usually only play it on stage, but it is definately worth it if you want to play a few gigs!

But...a lot of stock electronics are mediocre at best so be sure to plug it in and hear for yourself!!
yea it is realli personal i reckon.. i HATE all AE ive played except for a maton of my fd's through an AER amp...most built in pickups ive played sounds too artificial for my liking.. its jst much simpler for me to position a small diaphragm condenser than to buy an AE with nice pickups i like
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
If you can live with a mediocre sound... I've got an Electro-acoustic and love the guitar. It just sounds crappy plugged in... this is with a decent B band system too. I'd rather get a decent acoustic for the same price and mic it. I was set on an AE and was really disappointed to be honest... If you want a good acoustic sound plugged in, get an ovation... except they sound mediocre acoustically.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.