Well I'm having a bit of a problem with my band right now, heres a bit of a background and story. I've known the drummer for the past 8 years, and we've been good friends since, about 2 years ago we started jamming and writing some original material, and formed a two-piece band which over time turned into some amazing stuff. Just recentely (2 Moinths Ago) after a long serach we found the right person to play bass, and things seemed to be looking good. Just 2 weeks ago, me and the drummer had finished up writing a new song, and nothing seemed to be looking so bad. About 4 months back I found out that the drummers parents had decided to move, and they were moving about 20 minutes away, and out of our area. Well today in conversation with the drummer I found out that he was moving in 15 days, so just about 2 weeks, I had asked whether he was looking forward to it or not, and he said he didn't know, and I really don't think he is, he's had a pretty rough time in the past year. Well I asked him how long his kit was going to be set up for so we could squeeze in a practice. He replied saying that there wasn't really a point since he's moving (What he exactly meant I'm not 100% sure). I told him I'd talk to him later about the situation, but I'm just sort of holding it off cause I don't know what to say, and I want to talk to the bass player. Any ideas what I should do?
man ask him where hes moving ... and if it is far away tell him that he is always welcome for an open jam session... and work on finding a new drummer to learn the material
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by take_it_t
Well I'm having a bit of a problem with my band right now, heres a bit of a background and story. I've known the drummer for the past 8 years, and we've been good friends since, about 2 years ago we started jamming and writing some original material, and formed a two-piece band which over time turned into some amazing stuff. Just recentely (2 Moinths Ago) after a long serach we found the right person to play bass, and things seemed to be looking good. Just 2 weeks ago, me and the drummer had finished up writing a new song, and nothing seemed to be looking so bad. About 4 months back I found out that the drummers parents had decided to move, and they were moving about 20 minutes away, and out of our area. Well today in conversation with the drummer I found out that he was moving in 15 days, so just about 2 weeks, I had asked whether he was looking forward to it or not, and he said he didn't know, and I really don't think he is, he's had a pretty rough time in the past year. Well I asked him how long his kit was going to be set up for so we could squeeze in a practice. He replied saying that there wasn't really a point since he's moving (What he exactly meant I'm not 100% sure). I told him I'd talk to him later about the situation, but I'm just sort of holding it off cause I don't know what to say, and I want to talk to the bass player. Any ideas what I should do?
How is it that "20 minutes away" puts your drummer "out of our area"? That still seems very close to me.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
it sounds like he feels a twenty minute drive comprimises the band.. i really don't think its necessary to throw away 2 years of progress because you don't want to drive a short distance. my drummer lived about twenty minutes away from me in my last band (and the bassist was even farther) we made it work and were succesful..

here are my suggestions:
while you may not be able to practice as often you can still share ideas for songs. just record the riffs you want to work on and post them online, IM each other with them, or just trade whenever you see each other.

work out some sort of compromise about who has to drive to practice

if you are still having trouble convincing him sit down and examine the past two years.. if it really means that much to you then do whatever you can to stay together. Finding a drummer who knows your style and can compliment it is something achieved through experience alone, it takes a while to reach that level of mutual understanding so do whatever you can to stay together!

it can be done, it just depends on how commited you are!
Thanks guys I didn't expect such a great responce.

The funny thing is right now, me and the drummer live on the same street, and we still only practice maybe once or twice a month lately just because we've been so busy.

I live in Toronto, well just outside in a subburb, and the drummers moving to Scarborough which is basically a division of Toronto right beside my subburb. I don't have a problem with the 20 minute drive, it also means that my parents won't make me walk or "Bring a wagon" down the street with all my gear.

We actually do most of the writing through IM to begin with, we both have Guitar Pro on our computers, and basically we just swap files back and fourth and do most of the composing and it works great, and makes recording for me really easy because I can just take the drums and then throw the MIDI file right into fruity loops and I have my drum track.

The last thing I'd want to do is find a new drummer just because it's not going to be the same, it was hard enough after we had progressed so far to find a 3rd member, because by doing that we didn't want to compromise our style, and with a few people which we had worked with we were, and we just didn't want that.

I think a lot of this could be stress from this moving. Like beeing told by your parents that you're moving away and changing schools and everything with 2 months notice isn't the easiest thing. So I think maybe it's just a bit of a depression thing, since times running out. Should I just wait for him to settle in and then get things going again.

I'm the most commited of the two of us, and always have been, I'm pretty much the one who does most of the writing, and done a lot of the organizing, interacting with fans, getting gigs, recording...etc.
Once he's moved he'll realize that twenty minutes isn't that far at all. I drive at least half an hour once a week to my band practice, and I know that many others go even farther than that.