Here's the scoooop. My uncle was in the navy in the mid 70's and served both as a Military Doctor and a Private Doctor out of an aircraft carrier. One day, a guy comes into his office and says "Dr. Stage, I need to have a checkup. I don't have enough money, but I'll give you what I've got and my guitar". My uncle accepts and tries learning to play the guitar. He gave up after a month, and the guitar followed him throughout his several moves. recently, he picked it up again, but had a career ending hand injury, and couldn't play. So, in his recent move from Dallas, Texas to Maine, he gave the guitar to me, citing his lack of use for it.

My questions:

Does anyone know anything about this guitar?

Does anyone know how much it's worth? (I'm not interested in selling it, I'm just curious.)

Here's the kicker... it has no serial number!! In the soundhole it has "Serial ___________"

All I know now is that it was made in Italy between '72-'74.

PICTURES!!!

^If you look close, you'll see the bridge lifting up a little.

Original strings from 1975, BTW. Hold tune pretty well. Sound aweful though.

EDIT: Should Say Eko RANGER
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 3, 2006,
It's worth maybe $150, It's a knock off brand, like J reynolds, and bob tyler, and Epiphone (Sorry couldn't resist on that last one.) I've seen one before I think one of my friends dad has one and I asked him about it, got it out of a pawn shop. Also i bet that's where that one came from since it has no serial number.
I really wonder if it would sell for $150,- Throughout the 50's and 60's the Italians kept a rather big industry for cheap musical instruments. Some Italian Guitars from that era made it to cult; most are considered crap up to this day. Problem is always that the biggest chunk of the resale value of guitars is tied to the brand name. Sometimes this just ain't fair, but other times it means you can acquire a very decent instrument for virtually no money.
To name just one example; my very pretty l960's Sgroi Silvestri parlour guitar cost me one afternoon and an evening repair work and a bag of fresh strings, and now sounds absolutely superb. Resale value nil, but I would never part of it.
Now you say your Eka sounds good already with dead strings and loose bridge, I would think a set of new strings and a properly done glue job, together with the unique history behind it, would buy you a very fine guitar of great personal value.

And that it has no serial number could be because this was stamped on a small piece of paper that had been glued on the big label but has disattached itself and got lost. Tampering with serial numbers to cover up crimes is usally done with expensive, brand name guitars.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Jul 5, 2006,
this is like the third thread i have seen about vintage eko acoustic guitars that didn't have serial numbers.... weird.
alright... thanks for the info. I put on a new set of strings, and the bridge isn't as bad as it seems. It did jump climates rather quickly (Dallas, TX to Camden, ME in less than 2 days), and has adjusted and sounds awesome! I also replaced a missing straplock (on the bottom) with one I had lying around. The hole was drilled straight through, so it took a good hour and a half to get the nut on a bolt. My only complaint is the tuners. I've oiled them up and they're still sticking. plus a few of them are bent, and the gears are pretty crappy. I'm planning on a set of Kluson Keystone tuners.

I'll look in the inside of the guitar for the serial number. I thought it was weird because there was printed text (of someone's name, I suppose) just below the serial line.

Simple rig fan.
Quote by jimtaka
this is like the third thread i have seen about vintage eko acoustic guitars that didn't have serial numbers.... weird.

I know someone who has an EKO Ranger VI too, and his has no serial number. I think he said it did have one on at one time, but the ink they used to print it has faded off. It's a really nice guitar, and I think he's going to sell it. It's in REALLY good nick, and the only thing with it is the bridge. It has a split going across the bridge that he said has been there for as long as he can remember, and it hasn't get any worse since. I think I might buy it off him when he sells it. They're nice guitars, and are quite sought after nowadays (the Ranger VI seems to be rarer than the XII at the moment too). They're quite heavy, but they're solid and they play surprisingly well IMO.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
I know someone who has an EKO Ranger VI too, and his has no serial number. I think he said it did have one on at one time, but the ink they used to print it has faded off. It's a really nice guitar, and I think he's going to sell it. It's in REALLY good nick, and the only thing with it is the bridge. It has a split going across the bridge that he said has been there for as long as he can remember, and it hasn't get any worse since. I think I might buy it off him when he sells it. They're nice guitars, and are quite sought after nowadays (the Ranger VI seems to be rarer than the XII at the moment too). They're quite heavy, but they're solid and they play surprisingly well IMO.

My bridge has a split in it where you put the pegs.

ex..

o---o---o-- o   o   o

I too love the sound. This is the second acoustic (both vintage) that I've owned. Although, the other is a Yamaha from 1974 that has no saddle... a warped neck, etc. But, I have played several other guitars (ranging from Martins to Rogues) and I can say that this is one of my favorites. The bolt-on neck is weird though... and the huge chunk of wood that you need to hold it in. Altogether, nice though.

Simple rig fan.
^ the bridge is split in the same place as yous; must be a common problem. Also, the bridge pins on my friend's are all different (I think there are only two of the original star ones, though if I were to buy this guitar I know where to get a brand new set of original EKO Pins). And I agree with the block making it feel weird. The guitar seems pretty heavy because of this, and its quite neck heavy too. Some things I really do like about the guitar are the back and sides (the quilt and grain is lovely) and the neck with the contrasting middle laminate. I think they're really nice guitars, and I think you should keep it well. The one my friend owns had the pickguard taken off a long time ago, so there's not even a pale area where it was. I'm guessing since they were very big, thick pickguards that without the pickguard it will resonate a lot more, though it will leave an ugly mark.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

i was just about to ask about one of these wen the search found this thread, ive got 1 but i could get another for free... shame its not worth much.

mines a ranger VI with no serial number either, and the bridge (although it hasnt cracked) looks like its startin to show its age. its started to bend the tiniest bit. apart from that and a beat up pick guard mines fine, just a bit dusty
Whoa, you can get another for free? I'm jealous. Hey, I'm coming to Nothern Ireland on holiday this year.....

I have one also, and have played it for many many years. I cannot remember when i purchased it, but i was playing it by 1978. A wonderful sound even with dead strings.
I have never been able to find a replacement guitar that sounds anything like as good, so i still use it today, even though the bridge has now snapped and one string is lower than the rest. I cannot read the label except i can see EKO, Made in Rencanati, Italy. Model Ran**** faded. Serial number totaly faded. Darker than the one showing in this post pictures and totally weatherbeaten and cracked in a few places. Still sounds great. Has travelled the world with me from caribbean to middle east, thru tropical heat to arctic ice.... still great. Would love another 10 of them if anybody is bored with theirs

Andy